[comp.sys.atari.st] DCformat question

etan@sunEc.tellabs.com (Nate Stelton) (01/19/91)

I got a copy of DC format so that I could write files on a disk with a PC and
read them on my 1040ST, but it's not working.  I can write the files on the
disk and read the back with my MS-DOS machine, but when I try to look at them
on the Atari, they're not there.

Am I trying to do the impossible, or am I just doing something wrong?

Nate Stelton, etan@tellabs.com

boyd@mailer.cc.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (01/21/91)

In article <5083@tellab5.tellabs.com>, etan@sunEc.tellabs.com (Nate Stelton) writes:
>I got a copy of DC format so that I could write files on a disk with a PC and
>read them on my 1040ST, but it's not working.  I can write the files on the
>disk and read the back with my MS-DOS machine, but when I try to look at them
>on the Atari, they're not there.
>
>Am I trying to do the impossible, or am I just doing something wrong?
>
>Nate Stelton, etan@tellabs.com

Get a copy of Vkiller 3.whatever and check your disks.  I'll bet you a buck
that you have a virus, probably the Signum virus.  It does nothing, but will
make a disk unreadable by a PC.  I personally use ps2form to format disks
to work on both machines.  I do it every day, and have never had a problem.
The virus thing drove me nuts, I would format a disk on the PC, put files
on it, take it home and just look at it (no writes), and it would no longer
work in the PC's.  I tried about 15 formatters before it occured to me that
a virus might be the culprit!

--
             Mickey R. Boyd          |  "God is a comedian playing to an
          FSU Computer Science       |      audience too afraid to laugh."