[comp.sys.atari.st] Text editor accessory

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (01/16/91)

From: maf4003@summa.tamu.edu (FITCH, MICHAEL ANTHONY)

-         Hello to all from a Neophyte Usenetter!!  It's great to be
- able to communicate and exchange info with other st-users.  I want
- to be on the record as saying that the ST is the best computer
- around (for its price of course).

I agree.

-         Now to my question:  Does anyone know of a good text editor
- that can be used as a desktop accessory?  I have TOS 1.2 on a
- 520stfm w/ 1meg of ram.  It does not have to be loaded with options
- - I will be using it to edit configuration files primarily.  I
- have tried spirit-ed by it seems to lock-up frequently.

I must recommend STeno, but if you don't want to spend the $30 list
for STeno and STalker, there's also a pretty good PD text editor
called Notepad.  I'm not sure if it's at atari.archive though.  I
think there's also something called Diary which I've heard is pretty
good.

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

leilabd@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Davis) (01/18/91)

maf4003@summa.tamu.edu (FITCH, MICHAEL ANTHONY) writes:

> 	Now to my question:  Does anyone know of a good text editor that can be
> used as a desktop accessory?  I have TOS 1.2 on a 520stfm w/ 1meg of ram.  It
> does not have to be loaded with options - I will be using it to edit configura-
> tion files primarily.  I have tried spirit-ed by it seems to lock-up frequently.

I use Moshe Braner's GNOME (Generally Not the Original MicroEmacs).
In the UK it's available at the National Public Domain Software
Archive at Lancaster: uk.ac.lancs.pdsoft (login as pdsoft with
password pdsoft). I don't know about elsewhere. It will run as an
accessory or a program. It can also be compiled for MS-DOS and Unix.
Moshe used to provide a floppy with the latest version on for a
small handling charge, I don't know if he still does. He is/was
e-mailable as braner@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu

Leila
--
Leila Burrell-Davis, Computing Service, University of Sussex, Brighton, UK
Tel:   +44 273 678390              Fax:   +44 273 678470

rfpfeifl@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Ron 'Broth' Pfeifle) (01/21/91)

In article <4232@syma.sussex.ac.uk> leilabd@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Davis) writes:
>I use Moshe Braner's GNOME (Generally Not the Original MicroEmacs).

I was wondering if there's a working copy of "jove" somewhere for the ST.

Any hints...?

Ron