[comp.sys.atari.st] archiving/backups

ramsiri@blake.u.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) (01/20/91)

I am trying to decided which archiving program will do the
best job as well as handle a large argument list:

I have a set of files (400+, abuot 4.5MB) that I am constantly accessing
and updating... generally, each time i edit a file, i save
it to two places.. this takes some time.. i would prefer to run
a gulam script at the end of my session that would COPY
one set of files into an archived set of the same files..
refresh them etc.. Problem is not knowing  which program
can handle a directory with a set of about 9 subdirectories and
several hundred files...

Is this impossible to do with ZOO ro LHARC or ARC?  I don't
think my version of zoo can handle more than a few arguments.
Are there versions that can handle this?

Thanks,
	-kevin
ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu

techno@lime.in-berlin.de (Frank G. Dahncke) (01/22/91)

ramsiri@blake.u.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) writes:

>I am trying to decided which archiving program will do the
>best job as well as handle a large argument list:

>I have a set of files (400+, abuot 4.5MB) that I am constantly accessing
>and updating... generally, each time i edit a file, i save
>it to two places.. this takes some time.. i would prefer to run
>a gulam script at the end of my session that would COPY
>one set of files into an archived set of the same files..
>refresh them etc.. Problem is not knowing  which program
>can handle a directory with a set of about 9 subdirectories and
>several hundred files...

Use ARC 6.02 !  ARC has a facility to handle scripts that tell it which files
to use. Theses scripts can be as long as you like. BTW, I do my backups
this way and never have had any problems.

Any troubles, mail me.

                 Hope this helps,

                                Techno

k>ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu