[comp.sys.atari.st] patches to TOS 1.4

reynolds@fsg.UUCP (Brian Reynolds) (01/12/91)

	I just got TOS 1.4 installed in my Mega 4ST.  I know there are
several patches to 1.4 (one of which is called poolfix).  Where can I
find these patches?  I know about atari-archive (and I can get ftp
access if I need it), but a quick look last night didn't turn up
anything.  Shouldn't they all be grouped together somewhere?  I also
know there were several versions of poolfix when it first came out.
What is the latest version?  Thanks for you help.

Brian

--
Brian Reynolds          | reynolds@fsg.com
Fusion Systems Group    | -or-

klute@tommy.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) (01/14/91)

In article <12368@fsg.UUCP>, reynolds@fsg.UUCP (Brian Reynolds) writes:
|> 	I just got TOS 1.4 installed in my Mega 4ST.  I know there are
|> several patches to 1.4 (one of which is called poolfix).  Where can I
|> find these patches?

They are at the panarthea archive server as "volume8/rainbow" (pathes for
Rainbow TOS). They should be at atari.archive.umich.edu in the "Binaries"
directory under the same name (hopefully :-)).

--
  Dipl.-Inform. Rainer Klute      klute@irb.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
  Univ. Dortmund, IRB             klute@unido.uucp, klute@unido.bitnet

reynolds@fsg.UUCP (Brian Reynolds) (01/15/91)

	I found poolfix3.arc in volume9 and rainbow.arc in volume8 of
the comp.binaries.atari.st archives.  Thanks to everyone who replied
or sent email.

--

Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (01/15/91)

In article <12368@fsg.UUCP> reynolds@fsg.com (Brian Reynolds) writes:

>  I just got TOS 1.4 installed in my Mega 4ST.  I know there are
> several patches to 1.4 (one of which is called poolfix).  Where can I
> find these patches?  I know about atari-archive (and I can get ftp
> access if I need it), but a quick look last night didn't turn up
> anything.  Shouldn't they all be grouped together somewhere?  I also
> know there were several versions of poolfix when it first came out.
> What is the latest version?  Thanks for you help.
>
> Brian
>
> --
> Brian Reynolds          | reynolds@fsg.com
> Fusion Systems Group    | -or-
> 225 Broadway 35th floor | ...!uunet!fsg!reynolds
> New York, NY 10007      | Phone: (212)285-8001

PoolFix 4 is the one to get, it has been posted here before, there is
one othere patch program that was brought out by Atari, was part of
Rainbow TOS Fix, also Note: ST-Computer a German Mag: had a article
on Patching the TOS Roms, Total of 6 patches, this was in the 1/1990
mag:...

--
Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...

Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (01/17/91)

In article <12369@fsg.UUCP> reynolds@fsg.com (Brian Reynolds) writes:

>  I found poolfix3.arc in volume9 and rainbow.arc in volume8 of
> the comp.binaries.atari.st archives.  Thanks to everyone who replied
> or sent email.
>
> --
> Brian Reynolds          | reynolds@fsg.com
> Fusion Systems Group    | -or-
> 225 Broadway 35th floor | ...!uunet!fsg!reynolds
> New York, NY 10007      | Phone: (212)285-8001

Don't use PoolFix 3 as it does not suport the Xbra standard, this was
corrected by Claus Brod, PoolFix 4, and now can be placed anywhere in
the Auto folder, Note: PoolFix 3 has to be the first in the Auto
Folder..also there were some other improvments with PoolFix 4, maybe
Claus Brod can enlighten us on this...

--
Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...

andyc@hplsla.HP.COM (Andy Cassino) (01/22/91)

csbrod@informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod (turo)) writes:

> Please don't talk of 'poolfix 4'. Its correct name is 'PFIX_CB.PRG'
> due to an arrangement with Allan Pratt, the original author.
>
> To be fair, Poolfix3 followed the XBRA standard, yet only half-heartedly.
> I improved on that, and the result is that you can put it anywhere in
> your AUTO folder you like.

In a recent issue of Current Notes (I think it was November 1990), there
was a comment that PFIX_CB.PRG is self-defeating, since it allows other
autoprograms to run (and therefore allocate memory) before the memory
pool bug fix is patched in. This sounds plausible to me but I am not familiar
with the details of the bug and the what the poolfix program(s) do. I'd like to
hear comments from Claus Brod and Allan Pratt about this.

    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    % Andy Cassino                                       %
    % Hewlett-Packard - Lake Stevens Instrument Division %
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (01/22/91)

<1991Jan21.115202.18096@informatik.uni-erlangen.de>
Comment-To: csbrod@informatik.uni-erlangen.de

In article <1991Jan21.115202.18096@informatik.uni-erlangen.de>
csbrod@informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod (turo)) writes:
> Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz writes:
> >
> >Don't use PoolFix 3 as it does not suport the Xbra standard, this was
> >corrected by Claus Brod, PoolFix 4, and now can be placed anywhere in
> >the Auto folder, Note: PoolFix 3 has to be the first in the Auto
> >Folder..also there were some other improvments with PoolFix 4, maybe
> >Claus Brod can enlighten us on this...
>
> Please don't talk of 'poolfix 4'. Its correct name is 'PFIX_CB.PRG'
> due to an arrangement with Allan Pratt, the original author.
>
> To be fair, Poolfix3 followed the XBRA standard, yet only
half-heartedly.
> I improved on that, and the result is that you can put it anywhere in
> your AUTO folder you like.
>
> There were no other crucial improvements except some code crunching.
> I didn't delve too deep into the code in order to make sure that I did
> not introduce errors due to overhasted optimization.

> Claus Brod, Am Felsenkeller 2,   Things. Take. Time.
> D-8772 Marktheidenfeld, West Germany  (Piet Hein)
> csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de

Funny you should say that as Atari people on Genie refer to it as
PoolFix 4, and in the GenieLamp Mag...that is why I called it that..
I did know that there were some problems when it first came out, but as
Atari people were calling it PoolFix 4, I thought that it had been put
to rest, I am sorry if it has cause a problem...

--
Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (01/23/91)

andyc@hplsla.HP.COM (Andy Cassino) writes:
>In a recent issue of Current Notes (I think it was November 1990), there
>was a comment that PFIX_CB.PRG is self-defeating, since it allows other
>autoprograms to run (and therefore allocate memory) before the memory
>pool bug fix is patched in. [...]

The bug in the pool code only comes up when GEMDOS needs to "compact"
the pool, and that isn't likely to happen as a result of stuff you
do in the AUTO folder.

The fix should come with a doc file describing the bug and the fix, for
people who ask questions like that.  In short, the bug is in the compaction
code, and the fix is arrange the pool from outside so as to ensure that the
code with the bug never executes.