[comp.sys.atari.st] TOS Version

micro@imada.dk (Klaus Pedersen) (01/22/91)

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:
>The definite way to tell is to read the OS header.  A pointer to the OS
>header is at $4f2, and the TOS version number is found in the second
>word of the OS header.  For example, $0102 there means TOS 1.2.

What is your numbering algoritm? How do we compare TOS versions?
The number $102 implies a number seq. 1.0, 1.2, 1.4, 1.6, ..., 1.10, 1.12 -
doesn't it?
But the actual numbering is ..., 1.6, 1.62, ($106, $162), what is to be
expected next?

- Klaus (micro@imada.dk)

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (01/24/91)

And micro@imada.dk (Klaus Pedersen) writes:
>What is your numbering algoritm? How do we compare TOS versions?
>The number $102 implies a number seq. 1.0, 1.2, 1.4, 1.6, ..., 1.10, 1.12 -
>doesn't it?
>But the actual numbering is ..., 1.6, 1.62, ($106, $162), what is to be
>expected next?

When we realized that TOS 1.6 needed to be fixed, and we didn't want to
mess people up too badly, we decided to call it TOS 1.62.  It just sounds
like a smaller change, which it is, from TOS 1.6 than calling the
new one TOS 1.8.

There is no "algorithm" but it is definitely the case that within a major
number (1.X, 2.X, 3.X) you can compare the minor number numerically and the
greater number will be the newer version.  Mega STe and TT TOS have this
rule implicit in the numbering when spelled out: I always refer to "TOS
3.05" not "TOS 3.5."

ROUGHLY, the major number represents increased capability or "power" of the
machine: 1.X is ST and STe, 2.X is Mega STe, and 3.X is TT.  This part is
not a hard-and-fast rule; it is conceivable that you could see 4.X for one
machine and 5.X for another, and the 4.X could be "more powerful" by some
measures.  Alternatively, you could easily see 3.X in a future machine
which is "more powerful" than a TT.