[comp.sys.atari.st] Supercharger questions

CXS128@psuvm.psu.edu (10/07/90)

  I remember seeing some ads where it was claimed that the supercharger was
to have vga graphics capability by april of 90.  Has there been any word on
this or has the entire thing turned into vaporware?

                                            John T.

depeche@cs.mcgill.ca (Acme Instant Dehydrated Boulder Kit) (01/24/91)

I have Supercharger, along with the 1.4 upgrade. I have a few problems
with it, and I have written a total of 4 letters asking for support
to Talon technology, and NONE of them have been answered - the only
time I get any response is when I call them on the phone, and they
promptly try to sell me new software every time I do this. I hate
calling them because my phone bill is getting so high. Any help
would be appreciated.

oh yeah: don't buy from talon unless you live in Solana Beach, since
it's a local call from there!!!!! (I'm getting pretty pissed off at them
now)

1] Does anyone else have the problem where you hit ctrl-s to pause
   output and the entire computer crashes? This happens when I am
   viewing a directory, TYPEing a file, or running GREP, or whatever.
2] does the hotkey work when using a SM124 monitor?
3] This is to people who have the SUPRA hard drive wtih clock -

    The supclkread program that came with supra utilities sends something
through the DMA port which causes the data light on the supercharger
to light up - and this crashes the computer as well.
    With the 1.4 upgrade, there is a QUIET.PRG which prevents programs
from accidentally talking to the supercharger, and this makes it possible
for me to boot up my ST without holding down the RESET button on the
supercharger, but it also prevents SUPCLKREAD from reading in the time
from the hard disk.

    Has anyone out there written a supra clock reader program which
behaves properly so that I can install QUIET.PRG and still read in the
proper time?

Thanks in advance !!
--
|S. Alan Ezust        McGill University SoCS        depeche@cs.mcgill.ca    |
| "Lick the carpet, dust the dog, mow the windows, shine the socks....      |

ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) (01/24/91)

In article <1991Jan23.214145.15305@cs.mcgill.ca> depeche@cs.mcgill.ca (Acme Instant Dehydrated Boulder Kit) writes:
>I have Supercharger, along with the 1.4 upgrade. I have a few problems
>with it, and I have written a total of 4 letters asking for support
>to Talon technology, and NONE of them have been answered - the only
>time I get any response is when I call them on the phone, and they
>promptly try to sell me new software every time I do this. I hate
>calling them because my phone bill is getting so high. Any help
>would be appreciated.
>
>oh yeah: don't buy from talon unless you live in Solana Beach, since
>it's a local call from there!!!!! (I'm getting pretty pissed off at them
>now)
>|S. Alan Ezust        McGill University SoCS        depeche@cs.mcgill.ca    |
This is an interesting and troublesome posting.  I purchased
ATSpeed from Talon at the end of December.  I was having a
couple of problems with it at first, so I called them a few
times.  They were very polite over the phone and tried to be
helpful...unfortunately, the final bit of info they gave me
was incorrect, or at least I could not get things to work the
way I understood their instructions.  Since things were
working at least enough for me to do what I
absolutely-positively need to do, I decided to go the rest of
the way via a letter (just like Alan tried).  The letter went
out Jan 2, 1991...I still have not gotten a reply.  Now, I am
willing to agree that considering mail time, it is still early
to assume that they are simply not going to reply, but it
would be interesting to hear from others if Talon answers
letters or not.  Any other experiences out there?  (I'll try
to remember to post again in a while if I do not hear...and
I'll certainly try to remember to post again if I do hear!)
--Gerry