[comp.sys.atari.st] GEnie

vousten@neabbs.UUCP (ROB VOUSTEN) (08/18/90)

Can anybody provide a (US) phone number where one can log into GEnie as
a new user, look around and decide (not) to become a member ?

Rob Vousten

herr_roy@sleepy.bmd.trw.com (Roy M. Schoenherr) (08/22/90)

In article <435404@neabbs.UUCP>, vousten@neabbs.UUCP (ROB VOUSTEN) writes:
> Can anybody provide a (US) phone number where one can log into GEnie as
> a new user, look around and decide (not) to become a member ?

If you are looking for some free GEnie access time to 'check it out' you
will have to wait a very long time - GEnie sometimes does make an offer
in the magazines for a free signup and the first 2 hours free connect time.
I got my free sign-up by buying a modem which had such a offer with the
modem-package.

You can sign up with GEnie by dialing 1-800-638-8369, after the U#= prompt
enter: XTX99694,GENIE  .  You'll get some info on GEnie, and then your asked
if you want to join,  if the answer is yes prompt for billing info follows,
else it disconnects. (note: if you join, I believe you are charged something
around $ 25, this price includes a user's guide which is mailed to you,
but I am not sure about this).
Settings required: 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, no parity, half duplex (local
echo), 300 / 1200 / 2400 baud is accepted.

Roy M. Schoenherr        Ogden, Utah
e-mail (Internet):       herr_roy@sleepy.bmd.trw.com

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (09/06/90)

What ever happened to the proposed gateway between GEnie and
Usenet?

I might be persuaded to join if the gateway existed so I could
get rid of my Columbia account (which costs me more than $4.95
a month I might add).

Also, I've seen some talk about a service called Delphi.  Is this
any good?  How does it compare to GEnie?

Well, as this really has nothing to do with the ST, you might as
well email this info to me.  I'll summarize to the net if there
is any interest.

Chris (temporarily computerless) Mauritz

------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |D{r det finns en |l, finns
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |det en plan!
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |

amc4919@cec2.wustl.edu (Adam M. Costello) (01/25/91)

I'm sorry to invade this newsgroup with something unrelated to the Atari ST,
but I was told this might be a good place for a question about GEnie.

Does anyone happen to know whether there is a gateway between GEnie and the
Internet for the passage of email?

Thanks much!
AMC