[comp.sys.atari.st] Can a PC read ST disks?

bdm@spacsun.rice.edu (Brian D Moore) (01/18/91)

     I read something on the net that raises a question:  can I put an
ST disk in a PC and read it directly?  I have been considering downloading
from the PC binary net for a friend of mine, but was curious how to pass
on the programs.  If this is so, it would greatly facilitate things, as
I was daunted by the prospect of downloading, uudecoding, and porting through
PC-Ditto (software version).   So, am I saved from this?
                                                      -- bemo

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (01/18/91)

In article <1991Jan17.224413.20354@rice.edu> bdm@spacsun.rice.edu (Brian D Moore) writes:

>     I read something on the net that raises a question:  can I put an
>ST disk in a PC and read it directly?  I have been considering downloading
>from the PC binary net for a friend of mine, but was curious how to pass
>on the programs.  If this is so, it would greatly facilitate things, as
>I was daunted by the prospect of downloading, uudecoding, and porting through
>PC-Ditto (software version).   So, am I saved from this?

The ST can handle PC disks, so format disks on the PC and copy files
from the ST to them.

There are other options -- special formatting programs exist, and TOS
1.4 generates PC formatted disks automatically -- but this always works
(so long as you have a double-sided ST drive of course!).
--
William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577

mg20+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Paul Greelish) (01/19/91)

Yes. Well, almost. For best results, format the disk on the IBM in 720K
format. The Atari and the IBM have slightly different ways of storing
the directory (among other things.)

Also, do *NOT* (I have) try to use "alternative format" (i.e. Twister,
etc.) Atari ST disks on the IBM, they do weird things.

|\    /|
|  \/  |  ike Greelish
Carnegie Mellon U. undergrad, professional writing major
quote: "Everything is broken."    ---Bob Dylan
stupid disclaimer: My opinions are.

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (01/19/91)

gordon@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (John Gordon) writes:

-         You can interchange 3.5" DD disks between STs and PCs *IF*
- the disk was formatted on a PC.  If the disk was formatted on an ST,
- the PC can't read it, but the ST can work just fine with
- PC-formatted disks.

Lemme add that you CAN format the disks on an ST, but there are
restrictions.  The disks must be formatted 80 tracks/9 sectors and
they must have an MS-DOS-compatible boot sector.  TOS 1.4 and greater
will do this automatically; for TOS 1.0 and 1.2, you must use
something like DC Format and its MS-DOS boot sector option to create
the compatible boot sector.

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

klute@tommy.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) (01/23/91)

In article <1991Jan18.221204.4936@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>,
gordon@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (John Gordon) writes:
|> 	You can interchange 3.5" DD disks between STs and PCs *IF* the disk
|> was formatted on a PC.  If the disk was formatted on an ST, the PC can't
|> read
|> it, but the ST can work just fine with PC-formatted disks.

Hmm, I thought since TOS 1.4 it made no difference whether the disk was
formatted on an ST or a PC. Comments anyone?

Anyway, I am able to exchange floppies formatted on my ST with my Sun
SparcStation where I read and write them with Mtools.

--
  Dipl.-Inform. Rainer Klute      klute@irb.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
  Univ. Dortmund, IRB             klute@unido.uucp, klute@unido.bitnet

tony@tacky.cs.olemiss.edu (Tony Reynolds) (01/24/91)

Okay, as long as the PC has a 1.44MB disk (haven't tried with 720K), and
the disk has had an IBM boot sector written to it, you can read/write
twister formatted disks!

You can add a line like:

drivparm=/d:1 /n:10 /t:82

This makes a new device at boot time, drive x: (x is one letter greater
than the last drive that was installed), assumes your 1.44 is drive B:
to start with, and sets the new drive up as 10 sec/track and 82 tracks/
disk.

When Mess-Doss comes up, it will say something like:

INSTALLED NEW DEVICE FOR DRIVE D:

(I just tried it with MS-DOS 3.3 and it  said "Unrecognized command in
CONFIG.SYS," but I know it works with DOS 4.01)

Then you can type "dir d:" and the computer will say
"Put disk for drive D: in drive B:"
You slip it the disk, and bingo, r/w twister disks, no problems.

Note that I make no guarantees that this'll work; I had now
problems, and used it AT MY OWN RISK.  Please consult your
Mess-Doss manual for information on DRIVPARM. I have not tried it
with the disks produced by FORMAT11, as my system cannot reliably r/w
these disks.  Sorry.

Also note that there is NO E in DRIVPARM! It stung me three times!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  Please note! All mail directed to me should be sent to my new address:
          cctony@4dsci1.ocis.olemiss.edu   Thank-you very much.
    This includes USENET Mail, please check the "To:" field for replys

rlcollins@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Ryan 'Gozar' Collins) (01/25/91)

In article <1991Jan23.211440.5812@cs.olemiss.edu>, tony@tacky.cs.olemiss.edu (Tony Reynolds) writes:
> Okay, as long as the PC has a 1.44MB disk (haven't tried with 720K), and
> the disk has had an IBM boot sector written to it, you can read/write
> twister formatted disks!

Well, the weird thing is that my roommates Zenith clone with a 1.44Meg
drive could read my TOS 1.0 disk when it was extended formatted. (80 tracks
with 10 sectors per track, I haven't tried it with 82 tracks) I never
figured out why his computer read it while my other roommate's clone
couldn't.

Oh well, I guess this is what makes computers so exciting!!!!!!!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Ryan 'Gozar' Collins ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            o__)\			     rlcollins@miavx1.BITNET
           /     )			      RC1DSANU@miamiu.acs.muohio.edu
          /     /  ____                       R.COLLINS1  (On GEnie)
         /(____/__(_) o)_/
                      /)			[ || ]   Atari Computers,
      "There is no Substitute."                 [ || ]    They're not just
 Vs lbh pna ernq guvf, lbh'er geniryvat        // || \\   for breakfast
            gbb pybfr!                        //  ||  \\  anymore
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Yea, right, thats what I said.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

boyd@mailer.cc.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (01/25/91)

In article <2958@laura.UUCP>, klute@tommy.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) writes:
>Hmm, I thought since TOS 1.4 it made no difference whether the disk was
>formatted on an ST or a PC. Comments anyone?

That is correct.  Neodesk will also format disks with the correct bootsector
info for PC's.

>Anyway, I am able to exchange floppies formatted on my ST with my Sun
>SparcStation where I read and write them with Mtools.

Could you please email/post which version of MTOOLS you are using, and any
ifdefs you had to change to make it work (if any).  Thanks!

>--
>  Dipl.-Inform. Rainer Klute      klute@irb.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
>  Univ. Dortmund, IRB             klute@unido.uucp, klute@unido.bitnet
>  Postfach 500500         |)|/    Tel.: +49 231 755-4663
>D-4600 Dortmund 50        |\|\    Fax : +49 231 755-2386

--
             Mickey R. Boyd          |  "God is a comedian playing to an
          FSU Computer Science       |      audience too afraid to laugh."

wolfram@cip-s06.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Wolfram Roesler) (01/25/91)

bdm@spacsun.rice.edu (Brian D Moore) writes:

>     I read something on the net that raises a question:  can I put an
>ST disk in a PC and read it directly?  I have been considering downloading
>from the PC binary net for a friend of mine, but was curious how to pass
>on the programs.  If this is so, it would greatly facilitate things, as
>I was daunted by the prospect of downloading, uudecoding, and porting through
>PC-Ditto (software version).   So, am I saved from this?
>                                                      -- bemo

It principally is possible. A PC can read ST disks without problems. Reading
an ST disk on a PC is a matter of the formatting program (has sth to do with
the bootsector entries etc).

seitz@netcom.UUCP (Matthew Seitz) (01/27/91)

In article <1991Jan23.211440.5812@cs.olemiss.edu> tony@tacky.cs.olemiss.edu (Tony Reynolds) writes:
>Okay, as long as the PC has a 1.44MB disk (haven't tried with 720K), and
>the disk has had an IBM boot sector written to it, you can read/write
>twister formatted disks!
>
>You can add a line like:
>
>drivparm=/d:1 /n:10 /t:82

This will only work with MS-DOS.  If you have PC-DOS (the version of MS-DOS
sold by IBM) you need to use:

DEVICE=DRIVER.SYS /D:1 /S:10 /T:82

I believe this will also work with MS-DOS.

--
					Matthew Seitz
					seitz@netcom.UUCP

klute@tommy.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) (01/28/91)

In article <1991Jan24.222529.28498@mailer.cc.fsu.edu>,
boyd@mailer.cc.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) writes:
|> Could you please email/post which version of MTOOLS you are using, and
|> any
|> ifdefs you had to change to make it work (if any).  Thanks!

I am using Mtools 2.0.3. No #ifdefs have to be changed. The current version
of Mtools and all the patches are available via anonymous ftp from
cerl.cecer.army.mil (129.229.1.101).