[comp.sys.atari.st] HELP again; what *IS* wrong with my drive?!

kuento@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (01/25/91)

Pardon my editor if this message is glitchy. I'm using Interlink ST
and it doesn't seem to be compatible with emacs on the VAX I'm logged
on to. That's a problem in itself I wouldn't mind answered, but not
why I'm osposting. Some of you may recall I had an Atari shipped to me
a while back, and that it's had drive problems - at first it looked as
if it might be loose chips, then a head alignment problem. An IBM
repair guy told me it was the head alignment, but that it was not a
fixable thing. He charges me 40 bucks and tells me to buy a new drive.
I post here for advice, and get much help...but as I compile the
advice, I toy around a bit, and LO AND BEEEHOLD! Some of my software
runs perfectly, including my Interlink disk...while *most* of the
stuff does *not* run - and it doesn't seem to matter where the disks
are from (no pattern discernable as to commercial vs. this machine vs.
my brother's machine...). The thing is, once the machine has been up
and running a while, some of the non-functional disks will run, and in
some cases, even the programs on them will run! While I admit I know
little tle about hardware, it strikes me as hard to believe that if
the problem with this drive is such that just warming the machine up
can make it go away, that ican still be literally impossible to fix...
    One person (Terry Wells) has already suggested to me that this
sounds like it may be a problem with drive *speed* rather than the
alignment; do others agree with this assessment, or have an
alternative
diagnosis that would also fit these symptoms? Most importantly, does
it sound fixable, or shoould I go ahead with arrangements t
to purchase a new drive anyway?? Oh, how I wish there was someone who
knew how to fix Ataris that was within 100 miles of me...well, there's
one, but he's never in, he's too busy to take on any new jobs (if it
requires servicing), and it's a long-distance call, anyway. I seem to
get better answers from the Net! You folks are life-savers! Thanks
again to all who send me replies!
-------(please include "DY" in subj header of mail to this user)--------
Doug "Speaker-To-Insects" Yanega      "UT!"       Bitnet: KUENTO@UKANVAX
My card: 0 The Fool       (Snow Museum, Univ. of KS, Lawrence, KS 66045)
"Bobby, jiggle Grandpa's rat so it looks alive."   "Roota! Voota! ZOOT!"

paulm@unix.UUCP (Owner and User) (01/28/91)

In article <28139.279f5dcc@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, kuento@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
[...]
>     One person (Terry Wells) has already suggested to me that this
> sounds like it may be a problem with drive *speed* rather than the
> alignment; do others agree with this assessment, or have an
> alternative
> diagnosis that would also fit these symptoms? Most importantly, does
> it sound fixable, or shoould I go ahead with arrangements t
> to purchase a new drive anyway?? Oh, how I wish there was someone who
> knew how to fix Ataris that was within 100 miles of me...well, there's
> one, but he's never in, he's too busy to take on any new jobs (if it
> requires servicing), and it's a long-distance call, anyway. I seem to
> get better answers from the Net! You folks are life-savers! Thanks
> again to all who send me replies!

   I ounce had the same problem exactly.  It turned out to be that my drive
   according to speed.prg ( was that it?), said that it was turning at 308
   RPM.  I opened the case, twiddled a bit with the speed program running,
   found the SPEED POT, and turned it down to between 298 and 300.  Now it's
   flawless.
   Hope it's the same for you,  Later.

   Paul Moreau
----