[comp.sys.atari.st] "C" escape codes needed

kuento@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (01/25/91)

As opposed to my usual pleas for help with my drive, my brother in New
York (who also has an Atari, but no modem), has asked me to request of
the Net the following:
    He's doing C programming, and needs to know all the various
"escape codes" that control the printer from directly within the C
program. He says he knows *some* of the codes, but that there are
some he doesn't know, and he's looking for a list of some sort that
describes them all...or something along those lines. Those of you
who do C programming probably know whereof he speaks. I'd like to
get responses e-mailed, but if this isn't common knowledge, perhaps
it should also be posted, as I'm sure it's of general interest.
Thanks,
-------(please include "DY" in subj header of mail to this user)--------
Doug "Speaker-To-Insects" Yanega      "UT!"       Bitnet: KUENTO@UKANVAX
My card: 0 The Fool       (Snow Museum, Univ. of KS, Lawrence, KS 66045)
"Bobby, jiggle Grandpa's rat so it looks alive."   "Roota! Voota! ZOOT!"

rrd@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ray Depew) (01/26/91)

From kuento@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu:

> [My brother is] doing C programming, and needs to know all the various
> "escape codes" that control the printer from directly within the C
> program.

The printer control codes have nothing to do with the programming language
you're using.  Instead, they have to do with the printer you're using.
Have your brother get hold of the printer's manual and look in the appendix
at the back of the manual.  He should find a list there of all the control
codes.

If he can't find the manual, or if it doesn't have a list of control codes,
then have him find out if it uses Epson, PCL, PostScript or IBM ProPrinter
control codes.  These are de facto standards, and the codes for them are
widely available (in other printer manuals).

Regards
Ray Depew
IC's by Bill and Dave
rrd@hpfitst1.hp.com

paulm@unix.UUCP (Owner and User) (01/28/91)

In article <28140.279f603c@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, kuento@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
[...]
>     He's doing C programming, and needs to know all the various
> "escape codes" that control the printer from directly within the C
> program. He says he knows *some* of the codes, but that there are
> some he doesn't know, and he's looking for a list of some sort that
> describes them all...or something along those lines. Those of you
> who do C programming probably know whereof he speaks. I'd like to
> get responses e-mailed, but if this isn't common knowledge, perhaps
> it should also be posted, as I'm sure it's of general interest.
> Thanks,

  The actual ESCAPE codes has very little to do with 'C'.  Any code
  can be output by placing the octal value ie. \033\001 (Escape 1 (dec) )
  in a message for output.  What you realy need is the type od printer
  you're working with (epson, laserjet) ?
  To output a zero try putc('\0', PRN);
----
Paul Moreau.