[comp.sys.atari.st] TT sales

ramsiri@blake.u.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) (01/26/91)

Several months ago, my dealer was offering a pre-order discount
price on several configurations of the TT.

ANybody know if ATARI is actually collecting the money...?
Are other dealers doing this across the nation?  Are these
dealers holding on to the money?

ALso, can anyone from ATARI let us know if the TT can be ordered
to customer specs.. ie: NO drive, NO ram, NO monitor etc...?
I know that Apple dealers will sell a MAC in whatever configuration
you want.

Seems like this information won't help the enemy.

kevin
ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu

bayers@hub.cs.jmu.edu (brian ayers) (01/27/91)

ramsiri@blake.u.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) writes:
>ALso, can anyone from ATARI let us know if the TT can be ordered
>to customer specs.. ie: NO drive, NO ram, NO monitor etc...?
>I know that Apple dealers will sell a MAC in whatever configuration
>you want.

Well, this used to be the case, but no longer.  Apple now refuses to
sell their machines without THEIR hard drives and THEIR ram, which
keeps the price on their "low cost" machines higher than they could
be.  (I have seen an ad in the Washington Post that says that
they will sell an SI with a 50 meg Seagate though...)

JT
Internet:				bayers@hub.cs.jmu.edu
Bitnet:					help_jt@vax1.jmu.edu

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (01/28/91)

BobR writes:

- Enartloc Nhoj asks:
-
- >ALso, can anyone from ATARI let us know if the TT can be ordered
- >to customer specs.. ie: NO drive, NO ram, NO monitor etc...?
- >I know that Apple dealers will sell a MAC in whatever configuration
- >you want.
-
- Nope... Atari has already said that they will only sell TTs in
- configurations that THEY want to sell you...
-
- If you already have a Quantum 80 or Syquest 44, you have to throw
- it in the trash, or sell it in "Trading Times"...  forget using it
- in a TT...
-
- "Power without caring about the Customer"

Hey, at least Atari gives us the power.  The other companies won't even
give us that much.

BTW, I thought the TT was sold without a monitor, for something like
$479.  What forces someone into buying it?  If it's not sold
separately, please correct me.  Makes the (lower) price of $2399 so
much better.

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

ramsiri@blake.u.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) (01/28/91)

In article <38525@cup.portal.com> Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
>Enartloc Nhoj asks:
>
>>ALso, can anyone from ATARI let us know if the TT can be ordered
>>to customer specs.. ie: NO drive, NO ram, NO monitor etc...?
>>I know that Apple dealers will sell a MAC in whatever configuration
>>you want.
>
>Nope... Atari has already said that they will only sell TTs in configurations
>that THEY want to sell you...
>
>If you already have a Quantum 80 or Syquest 44, you have to throw it in the
>trash, or sell it in "Trading Times"...  forget using it in a TT...
>
>"Power without caring about the Customer"
>
>BobR

In fact, I DO own a very nice Quantum 80 that i would prefer to
use.  I also have 4 megs of simms in my ST i could use (rather
than paying over $200/meg ATARI prices.. i seem to recall a $1300
price tag difference between the TT/2MB and the TT/8MB). In addition,
I would prefer a 1.44 meg floppy.    There is no way i am buying
a TT until ATARI or some mail order company will sell me the
basic box.

I think a lot of others feel the same way...

What good is a box with open architecture if you can NOT
configure it to your own needs!

If this is any indication of ATARI's planned "support" for the
TT buyer.. good luck.

kevin
ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (01/28/91)

Howard says:
>>If you already have a Quantum 80 or Syquest 44, you have to throw it in the
>>trash, or sell it in "Trading Times"...  forget using it in a TT...

>Don't be ridiculous. The TT has external SCSI; you can hook up other
>drives without any trouble.

Yes, of course that's true... you can ADD anything you like to the TT...

BUT...  if you already own a Quantum 80, you CAN'T use it as your
primary drive...   you have to buy what Atari offers, THEN add your existing
drives...

Though, I suppose if you can afford a TT, you can afford to buy hard drives
at Atari prices...

BobR

nut@nuthaus.UUCP (Adam G. Tilghman) (01/29/91)

In article <38525@cup.portal.com> Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com  writes:
> Enartloc Nhoj asks:
>
> >ALso, can anyone from ATARI let us know if the TT can be ordered
> >to customer specs.. ie: NO drive, NO ram, NO monitor etc...?

> Nope... Atari has already said that they will only sell TTs in configurations
> that THEY want to sell you...
>
> If you already have a Quantum 80 or Syquest 44, you have to throw it in the
> trash, or sell it in "Trading Times"...  forget using it in a TT...

  Well, he might want to consider using it IN ADDITION to the standard
TT hard drive... The TT DOES have an ASCI/DMA port, you know.  And
a SCSI port, I think (I have neither touched nor seen a TT, but
with all the "TT Information Sheets" posted over the past nn years,
I think I'm pretty safe :-)

  I think that once the TT "market" develops to a point where there
will be machines sitting on shelves (without hordes in line to buy
them), there will be a case for dealers breaking up the package.  But
as long as Atari & the dealers can sell the things as-is, why
bother?

> "Power without caring about the Customer"
> BobR

"Power without a Marketing Director." :-!

  -- Adam
--
   =    Adam G. Tilghman - SysOp/WizOp/Janitor of Eleusesthai BBS   =
   = USnail: 116 Escanyo Dr., So. San Francisco, CA, 94080-4134 USA =