[comp.sys.atari.st] More memory 520STE

alastair@hpqtdla.sqf.hp.com (Alastair Reynolds) (01/08/91)

I have just bought a 2Mbyte upgrade for an STE. This required removal of
1Mbyte in the form of four simms cards of 0.25Mbyte each. Is anybody
interested in upgrading their 520STE to 1Mbyte. Contact alastair@hpsqf.hp.com

Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (01/11/91)

In article <15760002@hpqtdla.sqf.hp.com> alastair@hpqtdla.sqf.hp.com
(Alastair Reynolds) writes:
> I have just bought a 2Mbyte upgrade for an STE. This required removal
of
> 1Mbyte in the form of four simms cards of 0.25Mbyte each. Is anybody
> interested in upgrading their 520STE to 1Mbyte. Contact
alastair@hpsqf.hp.com

Note: You can use the 1/2 meg in your STE, to make it a 2.5 meg one..

--
Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (01/27/91)

alex@hpgnd.grenoble.hp.com (Alexis MERMET-GRANDFILLES) writes:

- Some people say we can use 2 x 1Meg SIMMS and 2 x 256K SIMMS to make
- a 2.5 Meg STE system.
-
- Is it actually reliable and supported by ATARI ?

I'm using a 2.5meg STe.  The only problem is that it thinks it has
4megs in it.  When I get passed the 2.5meg point, that's when it
starts crashing and locking up.  There's a program called SIMMFIX
which reprograms the MMU and TOS to tell it that there's 2.5megs, but
it requires a warm-boot after it loads and is kinda cumbersome.

Depending upon how I arrange the SIMMs, the STe thinks I have 1meg or
4megs, with varying degrees of reliability.  The best arrangement so
far is 1meg/256K/1meg/256K (if you started from the back slot).

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (01/27/91)

Alexis MERMET-GRANDFILLES asks:
>Some people say we can use 2 x 1Meg SIMMS and 2 x 256K SIMMS to make
>a 2.5 Meg STE system.
>
>Is it actually reliable and supported by ATARI ?

Atari does **NOT** support ANY memory expansion for ANY Atari product before
the TT...

You buy it, and you take your chances on upgrading it...

However, the STe can be easily upgraded with SIMMs, *IF* your STe is
equipped with SIMM sockets...

BobR

djw@hpldsla.sid.hp.com (David Williams) (01/29/91)

> Alexis MERMET-GRANDFILLES asks:
> >Some people say we can use 2 x 1Meg SIMMS and 2 x 256K SIMMS to make
> >a 2.5 Meg STE system.
> >
> >Is it actually reliable and supported by ATARI ?
>
> Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
> Atari does **NOT** support ANY memory expansion for ANY Atari product before
> the TT...
>
> You buy it, and you take your chances on upgrading it...

I  have  heard  this  stated  on  the  NET  many  times  before,
however....

I just traded up to 1040STE, and while I was at the shop grabbed
a copy of the Atari STE sales  brochure.  In that  document,  it
clearly  states that the 1040STE is  "internally  expandable  to
4Mb".  That  would  indicate  to me that  expansion  to  4Meg is
supported.  Atari  might  demand that the  expansion  be done by
Atari,  but  clearly  the  implication  is that a  1040STE  4Meg
configuration is supported.  At least that's a the way I read it
:-)

> However, the STe can be easily upgraded with SIMMs, *IF* your STe is
> equipped with SIMM sockets...

Sure was,  picked up 4Meg the way home from the Atari shop.  One
test of the  machine at 1Meg (to see that it  worked!),  then an
easy upgrade to 4Meg.  At as a side  comment, the STE seems much
better quality than my old 1040ST.

djw@hpldsla.hp.com