[comp.sys.atari.st] Reviews of word processors wanted

schaper@pnet51.orb.mn.org (S Schaper) (01/19/91)

I am wishing to upgrade from WWST 2.03 to something that will format margins
on individual paragraphs, autofootnote placement, preferrably wysiwyg, with
perhaps something like outline GDOS output.

I am considering Script, Signum II, Wordflair, Calamus Text Editor, Write On,
That's Write!, Tempus Word, OR ANY OTHER that will do what I need. So; if
you have worked with any of these, and would like to send me e-mail reviews/
opinions, or post them, or send me a review that you have on disk, that would
be much appreciated! Also, if any of the companies, or distributers of the
above, or competeing programs see this, email me to tell me how I can get
info on the capabilities and output (I have a 24 pin Epson LQ 510 printer) or
even a demo of the program, I would much appreciate that as well.
   Thank you all!

Zeitgeist Busters!
UUCP: {crash tcnet}!orbit!pnet51!schaper
INET: schaper@pnet51.orb.mn.org
           Aslan is on the move!

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (01/27/91)

-
- I am considering Script, Signum II, Wordflair, Calamus Text Editor,
- Write On, That's Write!, Tempus Word, OR ANY OTHER that will do
- what I need. So; if you have worked with any of these, and would
- like to send me e-mail reviews/ opinions, or post them, or send me a
- review that you have on disk, that would be much appreciated!

I'd like to hear opinions about these programs too.  Please post them.

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

rcd@cbnewsj.att.com (rana.c.dutt) (01/28/91)

There was a review of "Script" in STart magazine quite some time ago
(sorry, I don't remember which issue).

It looked like a pretty polished product. The interface appeared very
much like in Mac word processors, you know, with a ruler at the top and
little rectangular icons that show differently spaced lines for selecting
single or double-spacing.

The review said that it did not use GDOS fonts, but, rather, its own
proprietary font format. Also, you only get one typeface, although it
does come in different sizes and styles. This may have changed since
the review was published, though. (Personal opinion: this font situation
is getting a bit out of hand - we have Calamus fonts, Pagestream fonts,
GDOS fonts, and now Script fonts. Why no standard?)

Also, you can paste graphics into your document, but the only graphics
format it recognizes is that produced by "Sketch", its companion drawing
program. Fortunately, there is a utility to convert Degas and .IMG
format to Sketch format.

I haven't actually used Script, I'm just repeating what I remember
from the review. Hope this helps.

Rana Dutt
rcd@mtqua.att.com

carter@cat47.cs.wisc.edu (Gregory Carter) (01/29/91)

Rana Dutt asks if and why not, there are no standard FONTS for the ST
application arena:

I say, quite frankly, because GEM sucks a big one.

Any people agree with me?

--Gregory

FLAMES TO: carter@garfield.cs.wisc.edu

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (01/29/91)

In article <1991Jan28.162335.25657@daffy.cs.wisc.edu> carter@cat47.cs.wisc.edu (Gregory Carter) writes:
>Rana Dutt asks if and why not, there are no standard FONTS for the ST
>application arena:
>
>I say, quite frankly, because GEM sucks a big one.
>
>Any people agree with me?

I'd say it's GDOS, specifically -- not GEM.

But you can say whatever you want. ;^)

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

techno@lime.in-berlin.de (Techno) (01/29/91)

That's Write will do what you required and has Signum! printing quality
as well. I'm very satisfied with it.

                 Hope this helps,

                            Techno

--