[comp.sys.atari.st] Memory expansion

Pase@DOCKMASTER.ARPA (Bill Pase) (12/09/86)

Has any had experience with the Thoughtspace memory expansion for the
520ST?  I'm currently debating whether to upgrade my 520 to 1meg or to
trade up to a 1040, so any opions would be welcome.  Is there any word
on when the new machines will be avaliable form Atari, ie 2 and 4 meg?
/bill

"P.J.M._Verbruggen.ven1RX"@XEROX.COM (09/20/88)

I would like to add 2+ meg of ram to my ST1040 computer. Some vendors in Germany
are selling  boards with/without rams. they normally aks in excess of 300 DM for
boards without rams.
I feel that this is exceeding the value-for -money  limit and would like to ask
if someone in this group knows of a better alternative.
Thanks
-Peter-

lharris@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Leonard Harris) (09/26/88)

In article <880920-061901-3633@Xerox> "P.J.M._Verbruggen.ven1RX"@XEROX.COM writes:
>I would like to add 2+ meg of ram to my ST1040 computer. Some vendors in Germany
>are selling  boards with/without rams. they normally aks in excess of 300 DM for
>boards without rams.
>I feel that this is exceeding the value-for -money  limit and would like to ask
>if someone in this group knows of a better alternative.
>Thanks
>-Peter-

Datafree in Toronto is selling a 2.5 / 4 meg expansion board that plugs in
to 520's and 1040's for about 150.00 canadian.
It is a 4 layer board, noise free and extremely reliable and easy to install.
I've had mine for over a year now with 4 megs in a 520 with no problems.
Call them at (416) 741-9825.
I'm not too sure about their ram pricing (but then who is these days)
/leonard

big.t@netmbx.UUCP (Thomas L.) (09/27/88)

In article <880920-061901-3633@Xerox> "P.J.M._Verbruggen.ven1RX"@XEROX.COM writes:
>I would like to add 2+ meg of ram to my ST1040 computer. Some vendors in Germany
>are selling  boards with/without rams. they normally aks in excess of 300 DM for
>boards without rams.
>I feel that this is exceeding the value-for -money  limit and would like to ask
>if someone in this group knows of a better alternative.

Me and some friends had this problem, too. We made our own 2Meg-board, but it
didn't wor. We had many problems with wiring the board to the atari: When we
were ready, the atari seemed to be only a radio, not a computer. Many nights
later we throwed the board into the trashcan and buyed one : It works without
problems. I think, the 300,- DMs are the best and none-stressing way to get
2MB ...

Thomas Lamy, Schoenburgstr. 23, 1000 Berlin 42 (big.t@netmbx.UUCP)

paul@cacilj.UUCP (Paul Close) (09/29/88)

In article <...> lharris@gpu.utcs.UUCP (Leonard Harris) writes:
>Datafree in Toronto is selling a 2.5 / 4 meg expansion board that plugs in

Question: why are all the boards for 2.5 or 4 meg?  As I understand it, the
ST can have 2 banks of memory.  I have a 1040, so that's one bank with one
meg.  If I add 1 meg on the other bank, that's 2 meg (just like the mega-2).
Where, then, do the 2.5 meg boards come in?
--
Paul Close	paul@cacilj.CTS.COM 	...!{uunet, ucsd, crash}!cacilj!paul

    Good news.  Ten weeks from Friday will be a pretty good day.

hmm@laura.UUCP (Hans-Martin Mosner) (10/01/88)

In article <803@cacilj.UUCP> paul@cacilj.UUCP (Paul Close) writes:
>Question: why are all the boards for 2.5 or 4 meg?  As I understand it, the
>ST can have 2 banks of memory.  I have a 1040, so that's one bank with one
>meg.  If I add 1 meg on the other bank, that's 2 meg (just like the mega-2).
>Where, then, do the 2.5 meg boards come in?

Due to the sizes of memory chips (256K*1, 1024K*1) and the number of memory
chips required for one bank (16), one bank has either 0.5 or 2 Megabyte.
So the 1040 has 2 banks of 0.5 each, the Mega 2 has just 1 bank of 2 meg.
The options for upgrading a 1040 are therefore:
	1. rip out one bank, make it 2 meg, get 2.5 meg total
	2. rip out both banks, make them both 2 meg, get 4 meg total

Hans-Martin
--
Hans-Martin Mosner		| Don't tell Borland about Smalltalk - |
hmm@unido.{uucp,bitnet}		| they might invent Turbo Smalltalk !  |

alfred@dutesta.UUCP (Herman Adriani & Alfred Kayser) (10/03/88)

The 1040ST has indeed 2 banks of memory. Each bank has 512K DRAM in it.
To expand your memory de-activate one bank (512K) and then you can add 2M.
This gives you 2.5 Mb of memory. If you de-activate the other half as well, and
put 2Mb back in it then you have 4Mb of memory!!. That's easy, isn't it. The
only problem is that 1Mb chip are a bit expensive here.
Each bank used in the 1040ST can, if my memory banks are operating at the moment (monday morning), have 128K, 512K or 2Mb of RAM. This is probably restricted by
the MMU.
					herman.

/                                                                             \
| Herman Adriani & Alfred Kayser: Computer fans especially from 24 pm to 7 am |
\_____________________________________________________________________________/

mwjester@wsucsa.uucp (02/02/90)

A few weeks ago, I asked if there were any well-regarded memory expansion
boards for the 1040ST.  Responses were few but from all over (Europe, N.
America, Australia); here is basically what I found out:

   Frontier Software produces a 2.5M board called Xtra-Ram, available in
Australia ($A200).  My correspondent (Thanks, Rupert!) believes Frontier
is an English firm; if so, this might be available in UK/EEC/Canada.  The
product is evidently quite solid.
   Whoops!  Almost forgot - that's the unpopulated price.

   Datafree (Toronto) has a 2/4M board for the 1040, but it apparently was
designed for some particular version of the motherboard, and the docs do
not help if you have the wrong one.  No price given; you may want to verify
beforehand that it will work in your particular machine.

   ZRAM (LA) was under consideration by one correspondent: price is right
(US$119 unpopulated) and docs apparently good.

   Tech Specialties (sp?), Houston - some folks swear by them, others at.
My local dealer (no, not an oxymoron yet) has dealt with them over the past
year and installed their boards, and says he has had no complaints with the
product.  Their catalog does have lots of info.  If I go this route, I will
do it through my local guy, having heard some of the horror stories in this
newsgroup.

DISCLAIMER: I am affiliated with NONE OF THE ABOVE.  The sample was very
small, so the evidence is more anecdotal than statistically significant.
Your mileage may vary.

I had some email replies bounce, so I would like to thank all who replied.

   Max J.

bammi@dsrgsun.ces.CWRU.Edu (Jwahar R. Bammi) (02/03/90)

i guess i should add my two bits :-)
	i expanded memory in my 1040 using a John Russell Innovations
SIMMS based expansion board. the board lets you use either 1M Simms or
256K Simms, but you cannot mix them. There are four Simm sockets on
the board, and you can populate either 2 or all 4 sockets. It will
accomodate either the x8 or the x9 Simms (they can be 80ns, 100ns or
120ns simms, 150's will work too,but are not recommended, and are hard
to find in any case). An additional feature of this board is that it
comes with sockets for two shifters. you pull the existing shifter out
of its socket and install it in one of the sockets on the board. you
can optionally buy a second shifter, and plug it into the second
sockets for an expanded pallette (the board comes with software to
support the JRI 4096 color technology).

installation is quite easy if you are the handy type (6 solder points
and two headers, took about 30 min total). it fits (very snug) under
the shield (low profile SIMMS are *really* required for this). i have
had the board in for over a month, and its been doing great. to me it
made a lot of sense to use Simms instead of discrete chips, as they
can easily be re-used or moved to other machines, including future
atari ones. (they are quite cheap too now -- $85-90/1M Simm -- look at
the ads in computer shopper).

JRI can be reached at:
		john russell innovations
		PO Box 5277
		Pittsburg, CA 94565	(yes, pittsburg CA not PA)
		(415) 458-9577

Unpopulated board costs $125 + shipping

#include<std.disclaimer>
bang:   {any internet host}!dsrgsun.ces.CWRU.edu!bammi	jwahar r. bammi
domain: bammi@dsrgsun.ces.CWRU.edu
GEnie:	J.Bammi

psurge@cs.utexas.edu (Troy Carpenter) (01/13/91)

I have a memory expansion that I bought recently, but the board will not
fit in my computer.  It is an Aerco board with 2 megs and installtion
instructions included.  $175 and I will pay shipping.

                                Troy Carpenter
                        Department of Computer Sciences
                        THE University of Texas, Austin
                              psurge@cs.utexas.edu

"You're so open minded that your brain leaked out" - Steve Taylor

*>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The best thing in life costs exactly that <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<*

psurge@cs.utexas.edu (Troy Carpenter) (01/29/91)

I have a 2 Meg Aerco board for sale for $175 shipping paid.  Send e-mail
to the below address if interested.