[comp.sys.atari.st] Results with packed programs?

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (01/25/91)

A year of so back, there were some programs posted (3 of them, I think) which
compressed executable files.  The word at the time was that while there were
some cases in which they wouldn't work at all, they wouldn't 'half-work'.  In
other words, if a program one of them had been applied to ran for a while,
that almost guaranteed that it would run the same as the original version.

Has anyone noted a counter-example?  If a program is compressed and runs under
(say) TOS 1.2, can it be counted on to run normally under TOS 1.0 and Rainbow
TOS?  How much confidence should we have in this process?

                                   Steve         saj@chinet.chi.il.us

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (01/26/91)

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) writes:

- Has anyone noted a counter-example?  If a program is compressed and
- runs under (say) TOS 1.2, can it be counted on to run normally under
- TOS 1.0 and Rainbow TOS?  How much confidence should we have in this
- process?

I don't know if you want to limit this to PD/Shareware programs, but
I've been using DC Squish (a commercial program that's included with
the DC Utilities disk) for as long as I can remember and have NEVER
had a problem with it.  I squish everything -- desk accessories, TSRs,
and executables.  I'd be very surprised if my files wouldn't work on
a machine with a different TOS.  In fact, before I got my STe (TOS
1.6) I think I had some files squished using TOS 1.0.

Hope this answers your question somewhat.

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (01/29/91)

In article <1991Jan25.145158.10505@chinet.chi.il.us>
saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) writes:
> A year of so back, there were some programs posted (3 of them, I
think) which
> compressed executable files.  The word at the time was that while
there were
> some cases in which they wouldn't work at all, they wouldn't
'half-work'.  In
> other words, if a program one of them had been applied to ran for a
while,
> that almost guaranteed that it would run the same as the original
version.

> Has anyone noted a counter-example?  If a program is compressed and
runs under
> (say) TOS 1.2, can it be counted on to run normally under TOS 1.0 and
Rainbow
> TOS?  How much confidence should we have in this process?
>
>                                    Steve         saj@chinet.chi.il.us

Have had a lot of problems with the PD compacters, will not Pack most
files, but now I use DCSquish and have found only one program that will
not run when I Squish it, funny is the DC PD Mystic Formater, I have
just got the Upgrade from Double Click, this is the Version II of there
DC Utilities, also has a Great Program DC Xtract 2.0 will do Zip/Zoo/Lzh
and Arc, Note this program does compact as well as Extract, worth every
Penny, Note I don't work for DC or any shop to do with it...

--
Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...