[comp.sys.atari.st] Media change hardware hack

cummins@d.cs.okstate.edu (John Cummins) (01/28/91)

In article <3897@orbit.cts.com> schaper@pnet51.orb.mn.org (S Schaper) writes:
>I would really like to know how to get my Toshiba ND 3561BR to recognize disk
>swaps even when the write protect window is closed.

 I just glued down the little pin that senses "disk in drive" next to the
pin that senses write protect.  Toshiba gated their write protect so it can
only change state with a disk in the drive.  This befuddles the ST operating
system since it watches for fluctuations in write protect to detect a disk
change.  Since the state can only change with a disk in the drive, gluing
down the disk change sensor made the write protect line function normally.

Such is the fix I used...
  Put a drop of superglue on the offending switch (a tiny drop...)
  Place a piece of waxed paper in place over the switch/glue folding it down
the face of the drive so you can hold it in place while inserting a disk.
  Insert a disk to hold things lined up while the glue sets...

I'm sure there's a more trivial way... but this worked for me.

cummins@d.cs.okstate.edu

Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (01/29/91)

writes:
> I would really like to know how to get my Toshiba ND 3561BR to
recognize disk
> swaps even when the write protect window is closed. It does recognize
write
> protected disks and the disk immediately following. I understand that
Gadgets
> by Small put in an F-1 key software fix for this. Is this available or
is it
> part of Spectre GCR?   Is there a hardware fix?
>   The Toshiba hardware tech rep told me that Atari did something with
pin 2,
> so therein might lie the answer. I seem to remember last spring or
summer
> something about this being posted here, but at that time I did not
know I
> would be trying to cobble together a drive.
>   If someone out there has that info could you e-mail it to me? could
you also
> post it? ASAP as else I will have to shell out for a complete drive.
I'd
> rather not (much rather not). If you can't get it to me ASAP, but
still have
> the info somewhere, I'd sure like it when you do find it.
>            Thank you very much in advance!

**
> Zeitgeist Busters!
> UUCP: {crash tcnet}!orbit!pnet51!schaper
> INET: schaper@pnet51.orb.mn.org
>            Aslan is on the move!

****

The Simplest way is to disable the Disk in switch, this is what I have
done with the drive in my ST 1040, the only problem is the Drives run
with no disk in them, but I find this is common with Real Atari
drives...

--
Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...