[comp.sys.atari.st] Bison

tellabs_canada@canrem.uucp (tellabs canada) (01/11/91)

Many thanks to those who posted and emailed about makefiles for Lattice
C. I've managed to modify the make utility supplied with Laser C to suit
Lattice. Essentially, the makefile looks like this:

.SUFFIXES .o .c
.c.o:
        $(CC) $(CFLAGS) $<
foo.ttp: foo.o bar.o
        clink from c.o foo.o bar.o to foo.ttp lib lc.lib batch

The only disappointing thing about this setup is that you _may_ have to
be careful that your compiler options match the startup code (ie. c.o)
and libraries (ie. lc.lib) you supply.

And now, onto other problems. I have half of the duo of flex and bison
up and running on my ST. Flex runs consistently without incident, but
bison gives me a buss error whenever and from wherever I run it.

My machine is an unmodified 1040STf with TOS1.4 installed, I'm running
QUICKST and GDOS with a Megafile 20.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Mark
--
Canada Remote Systems.  Toronto, Ontario
NorthAmeriNet Host

rosenkra@convex.com (William Rosencranz) (01/12/91)

In article <199111.1113.4573@canrem.uucp> "tellabs canada" <tellabs_canada@canrem.uucp> writes:
>And now, onto other problems. I have half of the duo of flex and bison
>up and running on my ST. Flex runs consistently without incident, but
>bison gives me a buss error whenever and from wherever I run it.

i believe u said u were using lattice C.
if lattice is a 16-bit compiler (i.e. int is 16 bits), then that may be
the source of the problem. it generally is for me (with other 16bit int
compilers). probably the fastest workaround is to globally replace all
ints with longs, but this can make the code unnecessarily large. do this
only as a test.

note u can run gcc with 32-bit ints, often making it very easy (often
trivial) to port unix code like bison. check it out, though it is rather
large and u may have memory problems with only a 1040 (there are fixes for
this, BTW).

-bill
rosenkra@convex.com

--
Bill Rosenkranz            |UUCP: {uunet,texsun}!convex!c1yankee!rosenkra
Convex Computer Corp.      |ARPA: rosenkra%c1yankee@convex.com

david@doe.utoronto.ca (David Megginson) (01/12/91)

In article <199111.1113.4573@canrem.uucp> "tellabs canada" <tellabs_canada@canrem.uucp> writes:

>And now, onto other problems. I have half of the duo of flex and bison
>up and running on my ST. Flex runs consistently without incident, but
>bison gives me a buss error whenever and from wherever I run it.
>
>My machine is an unmodified 1040STf with TOS1.4 installed, I'm running
>QUICKST and GDOS with a Megafile 20.
>
>Anyone have any ideas?

The bison binaries in general distribution choke on carriage returns in
a text file. I have a new version almost ready which does not, and I
will probably post it to comp.binaries.atari.st in a week or two. Until
then, just strip the \r out of your files before running them through
bison. Good luck!

David

ps. I have posted MiNT versions of dvi2tty and less 97, and they should
be showing up in your comp.xxx.atari.st newsgroups as soon as these
things usually happen.

/  David Megginson                      david@doe.utoronto.ca          /
/  Centre for Medieval Studies          meggin@vm.epas.utoronto.ca     /

rossj@cognos.UUCP (Ross Judson) (01/13/91)

From the messages referred to above it is apparent somebody has flex
running nicely on their ST.  Could they email to me?  It was also
apparent somebody was having trouble with bison.  I've ported that
successfully to Mark Williams C, if anyone's interested.
--
Ross Judson ++ uunet!mitel!cunews!cognos!rossj + hunger is the fuel of greed
Cognos Inc. ++ rossj@cognos.uucp               + enough is less than you need

csual@warwick.ac.uk (Jas) (01/28/91)

Has anyone got a working version of bison (the PD version of yacc) ? I took a
copy from atari.archive but it bombs as soon as I run it. I saw something on the
net a couple of weeks back about a new version of bison coming out (or was it
for flex?)

Can anyone help out here as I need a copy in a hurry?

Many Thanks,

			Jason Morris (jas@uk.ac.warwick.cs)

csual@warwick.ac.uk (Jas) (01/28/91)

Has anyone got a working version of bison (the PD version of yacc) ? I took a
copy from atari.archive but it bombs as soon as I run it. I saw something on the
net a couple of weeks back about a new version of bison coming out (or was it
for flex?)

Can anyone help out there as I need a copy in a hurry?

david@doe.utoronto.ca (David Megginson) (01/29/91)

In article <1991Jan28.125346.4904@warwick.ac.uk> csual@warwick.ac.uk (Jas) writes:
>Has anyone got a working version of bison (the PD version of yacc) ? I took a
>copy from atari.archive but it bombs as soon as I run it. I saw something on the
>net a couple of weeks back about a new version of bison coming out (or was it
>for flex?)

The bison binaries which have been out for a couple of years choke on the
CR character which most atari programs insert before LF after every
line of a file :-(. Strip out the CRs, and it should not bomb.

Yes, I want to put out my new port of bison, but I cannot get it to unlink
its temporary files correctly. In the mean time, use byacc, in
atari/gnustuff/tos at atari.archive.umich.edu. It works fine.

David