[comp.sys.atari.st] Rainbow TOS vs. older versions: problem

spit@ruunsa.fys.ruu.nl (Werenfried Spit) (01/28/91)

I have a problem which I think is in Rainbow TOS.
When I format disks with Rainbow TOS it quite often
happens that my ST2 that is running TOS 1.2 can
no longer read the disk when it has become somewhat
filled. The problem doesn't occur with our 1040's.

Is there anyone who has some idea about what might be
happening?

Werenfried Spit
   R.J. v.d. Graafflaboratorium            +31-(0)30-53-2330
   Postbus 80.000
   3508 TA  Utrecht                        spit@fys.ruu.nl
   The Netherlands                         spit@hutruu51.bitnet

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (01/29/91)

In article <1906@ruunsa.fys.ruu.nl> spit@ruunsa.fys.ruu.nl (Werenfried Spit) writes:
>I have a problem which I think is in Rainbow TOS.
>When I format disks with Rainbow TOS it quite often
>happens that my ST2 that is running TOS 1.2 can
>no longer read the disk when it has become somewhat
>filled. The problem doesn't occur with our 1040's.
>
>Is there anyone who has some idea about what might be
>happening?

I'd say it's the drive on the Mega.  Perhaps it's out of alignment, or the
drive speed could be off by a couple of RPMs.  Rainbow TOS 'twists' the disks
when it formats, to gain increased speed.  I used this when I had my 1040
(TOS 1.0) using an auxiliary formatting program.  You may want to try
formatting the disks with a formatting program, instead of with the desktop,
and see if there's any difference.

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

esj@harvee.UUCP (Eric S Johansson) (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan28.192147.5610@ecst.csuchico.edu> ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu
(Ed Krimen) writes:
> In article <1906@ruunsa.fys.ruu.nl> spit@ruunsa.fys.ruu.nl (Werenfried Spit) writes:
> >I have a problem which I think is in Rainbow TOS.
> >When I format disks with Rainbow TOS it quite often
> >happens that my ST2 that is running TOS 1.2 can
> >no longer read the disk when it has become somewhat
> >filled. The problem doesn't occur with our 1040's.
> >
> >Is there anyone who has some idea about what might be
> >happening?
>
> I'd say it's the drive on the Mega.  Perhaps it's out of alignment, or the
> drive speed could be off by a couple of RPMs.  Rainbow TOS 'twists' the disks
> when it formats, to gain increased speed.  I used this when I had my 1040
> (TOS 1.0) using an auxiliary formatting program.  You may want to try
> formatting the disks with a formatting program, instead of with the desktop,
> and see if there's any difference.

I would agree that it is highly likely that the mega2 drive is out
to lunch.  On my mega2, I could not get a reliable backup of my HD
onto floppies.  The symptoms were "bad" spots on floppies that
moved tracks, disks that were readable then ureadable and then
readable again without any changes to the system.  When I got an
external FD, all my floppy problems "went away" as long as I stick to
the B: drive.

> --
>    |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
>    |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
>   / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0
^^^     eric johansson   UUCP ...!uunet!wang!harvee!esj esj@harvee.uucp
* *     a juggling fool  AT&T (617) 577-4068 (w)
 o                       HAM  ka1eec
\_/			 CSNET johansson%hydra@polaroid.com
			 or      hydra!johansson@polaroid.com
	source of the public's fear of the unknown since 1956