[comp.sys.atari.st] Warning: HIDORAMA on STart disk

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (01/28/91)

I just tried the program HIDORAMA on the Jan. 1991 STart disk, which is
supposed to modify the attribute bytes so that you can set/unset the
Hidden, System, and Protect bits on files.  It is erratic in
performance, since some hidden files vanish from the desktop and others
don't, but it appears to have scrambled some directories.  After using
it one of my HD partitions vanished entirely, although it reappeared
after a reboot.  Whether any permanent damage was done I can't say.

I suspect that HIDORAMA.PRG does not always find the right bits to
fiddle and that it is capable of doing damage.  Until someone reports
the details of the situation, I recommend against using it.
--
William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577

ss60wbi@sdcc4.ucsd.edu (G. "Maddog" Knauss) (01/28/91)

In article <1991Jan27.212033.23890@cs.dal.ca> silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) writes:
>I just tried the program HIDORAMA on the Jan. 1991 STart disk, which is
>supposed to modify the attribute bytes so that you can set/unset the
>Hidden, System, and Protect bits on files.  It is erratic in
>performance, since some hidden files vanish from the desktop and others
>don't, but it appears to have scrambled some directories.  After using
>it one of my HD partitions vanished entirely, although it reappeared
>after a reboot.  Whether any permanent damage was done I can't say.
>
> [Conclusion about staying away from this obviously dangerous
>  program deleted.]
>
>William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography

Mea cupla, and it's not my fault.  Apparently, when a file has it's
PROTECT bit set, it ignores both the HIDDEN and SYSTEM attribues,
don't ask me why.  I thought I had checked this before shipping the
stupid thing off to Start, but I just tried it and it doesn't work.
You can HIDE and SYSTEM files just fine, as long as they are not
PROTECTED as well.  I'm a little confused why this does this, but
that's nothing new.
	As to why you got "scrambled directories" and "disappearing
partitians"...  Geez.  I dunno.  I've been using HOD for over a year
now and haven't had any trouble.  What TOS are you using?
					Damn, I HATE it when I look
					like an idiot,
					Greg "STOP staring at me!"
					Knauss

In article <16081@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> ss60wbi@sdcc4.ucsd.edu (G. "Maddog" Knauss) writes:
>In article <1991Jan27.212033.23890@cs.dal.ca> silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) writes:
>>I just tried the program HIDORAMA on the Jan. 1991 STart disk, which is
>>supposed to modify the attribute bytes so that you can set/unset the
>>Hidden, System, and Protect bits on files.  It is erratic in
>>William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
>
>Mea cupla, and it's not my fault.  Apparently, when a file has it's
>PROTECT bit set, it ignores both the HIDDEN and SYSTEM attribues,
>don't ask me why.  I thought I had checked this before shipping the
>stupid thing off to Start, but I just tried it and it doesn't work.
>You can HIDE and SYSTEM files just fine, as long as they are not
>PROTECTED as well.  I'm a little confused why this does this, but
>that's nothing new.

The files I tested were WP macro files.  They were not protected.

>	As to why you got "scrambled directories" and "disappearing
>partitians"...  Geez.  I dunno.  I've been using HOD for over a year
>now and haven't had any trouble.  What TOS are you using?

TOS 1.2 on a Mega 2.

Bill Silvert
--

neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) (01/30/91)

writes:
> ... Apparently, when a file has it's PROTECT bit set, it ignores both the
>HIDDEN and SYSTEM attribues, don't ask me why.  I thought I had checked this
>before shipping the stupid thing off to Start, but I just tried it and it
>doesn't work. You can HIDE and SYSTEM files just fine, as long as they are not
>PROTECTED as well. ...

This is a bug in TOS 1.0 and TOS 1.2. It's fixed in TOS 1.4 onwards. You will
also find that a write protected program will not get run if it's hidden.
That's fixed too.

! DISCLAIMER:Unless otherwise stated, the above comments are entirely my own !
! Neil Forsyth                      JANET:  neil@uk.ac.hw.cs                 !
! Dept. of Computer Science         ARPA:   neil@cs.hw.ac.uk                 !
! Heriot-Watt University            UUCP:   ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!neil          !
! Edinburgh, Scotland, UK           "That was never 5 minutes!"              !