[comp.sys.atari.st] MiNT, what is current status?

adamd@rhi.hi.is (Adam David) (01/28/91)

Hi MiNT people,
Is there anyone who would care to inform me/us better about MiNT. The last
version posted was 0.6 but 0.7 is on the server at umich and probably elsewhere.
Specifically:
What is wrong with 0.6?
Is there a reason (?bugs etc.) why 0.7 hasn't been posted?
Does a newer version exist already?

Thanks,
--
Adam David.  adamd@rhi.hi.is

7103_2622@uwovax.uwo.ca (Eric Smith) (01/31/91)

In article <2691@krafla.rhi.hi.is>, adamd@rhi.hi.is (Adam David) writes:
> Is there anyone who would care to inform me/us better about MiNT. The last
> version posted was 0.6 but 0.7 is on the server at umich and probably elsewhere.

Yes, 0.7 is the current version.

> Specifically:
> What is wrong with 0.6?

Several bugs (e.g. in memory management) and inefficient code (again, mostly
in memory management).

> Is there a reason (?bugs etc.) why 0.7 hasn't been posted?

No reason in particular; it just didn't seem like a big enough change to
post, and most people have access to atari.archive or some similar site.
There is a major bug in the new 0.7 code for handling minix filesystems,
so that's another reason not to post (Steve Henson has found and fixed the
bug for 0.8).

I'll post 0.8 when it's ready (don't expect it real soon).

--
Eric R. Smith                     email:
Dept. of Mathematics            eric.smith@uwo.ca