[comp.sys.atari.st] PostScript on the ST?

mrodrigu@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Mark Rodriguez) (01/16/91)

Ok I know this is a silly question, but here it goes.
	Is there a way to view or print ( on my poor little Epson compatable)
PostScript files on the ST?

Thanks for the laughter,
mrodrigu@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU

weber_w@apollo.HP.COM (Walt Weber) (01/17/91)

In article <2793cf74.35f8@petunia.CalPoly.EDU>, Mark Rodriguez writes:

|> 	Is there a way to view or print ( on my poor little Epson compatable)
|> PostScript files on the ST?

Yes - you can print them using Ultrascript, from Imagen. I have heard that
it is not going to be continued as a commercial product, however. I know of
no "postscript displayer", unless there is a DTP package which could be
fooled into thinking your postscript file is really EPS. I'd go with the
Ultrascript solution. Sorry, I don't have contact information on them, but
you should be able to get a quote from an ST dealer or mail-order house.

|> mrodrigu@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU

...walt...

Walt Weber                           Hewlett Packard Response Center
508-256-6600x8315                    Chelmsford, MA, USA
   "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism
    by those who have not got it" -George Bernard Shaw

goo@hpindda.cup.hp.com (Michael Goo) (01/18/91)

>mrodrigu@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Mark Rodriguez) writes....
>
>Ok I know this is a silly question, but here it goes.
>	Is there a way to view or print ( on my poor little Epson compatable)
>PostScript files on the ST?
>
>Thanks for the laughter,

You might look into a program called UltraScript by IMAGEN.  The original
version of this program allowed the Atari SLM804 laser printer to print
PostScript files.  An ad in the April 1990 issue of STart lists a version
that supports other printers, including "virtually any dot matrix" printer.
I assume this means Epsons.

The list price is a little steep (~$200 US).  I also imagine that it requires
a butt-load of memory to run since all of the PostScript processing has to
be done by the ST (a task usually left to the very expensive PostScript
printer).

The address listed in the ad is as follows:

      IMAGEN Corporation
      PO Box 58101
      Dept. USST
      Santa Clara, CA 95052-8101
      (800) 635-3997
      (408) 986-9400

I do not own this program, so I have no idea of how good it is.  I am not
associated with IMAGEN in any way....etc....etc....

Hope this helps.

Your pal,
  Mike Goo

rosenkra@convex.com (William Rosencranz) (01/18/91)

In article <21135@netcom.UUCP> seitz@netcom.UUCP (Matthew Seitz) writes:
>In article <2793cf74.35f8@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> mrodrigu@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Mark Rodriguez) writes:
>>Ok I know this is a silly question, but here it goes.

questions are never silly...answers often are :-)

>>	Is there a way to view or print ( on my poor little Epson compatable)
>>PostScript files on the ST?
>>
>I believe Ultrascript II can do this.

does anybody have any experince with ghostscript, a (GNU?) postscript system?
i know there is an MSDOS version. the code is on prep.ai.mit.edu, last time
i looked.

i am sure it does not come with fonts, but all you need are a couple to at
least make it usable.

also, are there any good psto<whatever> filters? here <whatever> is assumed
to be more sophisticated than "ascii" (e.g. TeX, HPGL or whatever it is
called, etc).

-bill
--
Bill Rosenkranz            |UUCP: {uunet,texsun}!convex!c1yankee!rosenkra
Convex Computer Corp.      |ARPA: rosenkra%c1yankee@convex.com

kentd@FtCollins.NCR.com (Kent.Dalton) (01/20/91)

RE: looking for a way to print postscript files on ST.

There is a commercial product called ultra-script (from Imagen) which
allows you print postscript files on the ST. I believe there are two
versions one for SLM804's and one for Dot Matrix printers, etc.

/* Kent Dalton                     * EMail: Kent.Dalton@FtCollins.NCR.COM */
/* NCR Microelectronics            *   CIS: 72320,3306                    */
/* 2001 Danfield Ct. MS470A        *                                      */
/* Fort Collins, Colorado 80525    *Jordan: Between Iraq and a hard place?*/
/* (303)223-5100 X-319             *    All standard disclaimers apply    */

wilko@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (W.C. Bulte) (01/22/91)

In article <40250007@hpindda.cup.hp.com> goo@hpindda.cup.hp.com (Michael Goo) writes:

>>mrodrigu@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Mark Rodriguez) writes....
>>
>>Ok I know this is a silly question, but here it goes.
>>	Is there a way to view or print ( on my poor little Epson compatable)
>>PostScript files on the ST?
>>
>>Thanks for the laughter,
>
>You might look into a program called UltraScript by IMAGEN.  The original
>version of this program allowed the Atari SLM804 laser printer to print
>PostScript files.  An ad in the April 1990 issue of STart lists a version
>that supports other printers, including "virtually any dot matrix" printer.
>I assume this means Epsons.

[stuff deleted]

I have a friend, who uses Ultrascript, and has a very high opinion of it.
He is professionally involved in graphical design and uses Ultrscipt at
home. The PS files are produced by Xpress and Pagemaker (using Spectre on
the Atari) and printed using Ultrscript. It requires at least 2 Mb of
ST memory. The printer he uses is a HP Deskjet, which gives near laser
quality. I know for sure that NEC 24 needle matrix printers are supported,
and probably also Epsons.
 |   / o / /  _   Wilko Bulte   Domain: wilko@idca.tds.philips.nl
 |/|/ / / /( (_)                uucp  : [mcsun,hp4nl]!philapd!wilko
* Philips Information Systems Nederland   phone:  055-432372 fax: 055-432103

me@dude.pcs.com (Michael Elbel) (01/26/91)

seitz@netcom.UUCP (Matthew Seitz) writes:
> In article <2793cf74.35f8@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> mrodrigu@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Mark Rodriguez) writes:
> >
> >Ok I know this is a silly question, but here it goes.
> >	Is there a way to view or print ( on my poor little Epson compatable)
> >PostScript files on the ST?
> >

> I believe Ultrascript II can do this.
> --
Hasn't anybody tried to port ghostscript to the ST?

Michael
--
Michael Elbel 			|  Wollen haetten wir schon moegen
PCS GmbH, Muenchen, Germany	|  aber duerfen haben wir uns nicht getraut.

hb9zz@bernina.ethz.ch (Marco Zollinger) (01/28/91)

me@dude.pcs.com (Michael Elbel) writes:

>seitz@netcom.UUCP (Matthew Seitz) writes:
>> In article <2793cf74.35f8@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> mrodrigu@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Mark Rodriguez) writes:
>> >
>> >Ok I know this is a silly question, but here it goes.
>> >	Is there a way to view or print ( on my poor little Epson compatable)
>> >PostScript files on the ST?
>> >

>> I believe Ultrascript II can do this.
>> --
>Hasn't anybody tried to port ghostscript to the ST?

>Michael

I'm actualy trying doing that under Mint... I'll let you know...

--- Rick

wilko@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (W.C. Bulte) (01/29/91)

In article <RIPLEY.91Jan29102759@ram.cs.tu-berlin.de> ripley@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de (Hans-Ch. Eckert) writes:
>In article <1096@idcapd.idca.tds.philips.nl> wilko@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (W.C. Bulte) writes:
>
>   In article <40250007@hpindda.cup.hp.com> goo@hpindda.cup.hp.com (Michael Goo) writes:
>
>   >You might look into a program called UltraScript by IMAGEN.  The original
     [stuff deleted]

>			[...]	It requires at least 2 Mb of
>   ST memory. The printer he uses is a HP Deskjet, which gives near laser
>   quality. I know for sure that NEC 24 needle matrix printers are supported,
>   and probably also Epsons.
>
>Will you beleive me I have seen it running on 1 Meg ?

Uhhh, no. I tried to run it once on a Mega 1, and it pops up an error
noting that there is insufficient memory. What version of US did you use,
what printer and what resolution?

Maybe I used an old version, and did IMAGEN some work to reduce memory usage.

Anxious to know more....

heavy@zip.eecs.umich.edu (Richard Scott Hall) (01/29/91)

In article <1105@idcapd.idca.tds.philips.nl> wilko@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (W.C. Bulte) writes:
>>   and probably also Epsons.
>>
>>Will you beleive me I have seen it running on 1 Meg ?
>
>Uhhh, no. I tried to run it once on a Mega 1, and it pops up an error
>noting that there is insufficient memory. What version of US did you use,
>what printer and what resolution?
>
>Maybe I used an old version, and did IMAGEN some work to reduce memory usage.
>
>Anxious to know more....

>_     ______________________________________________________________________
> |   / o / /  _   Wilko Bulte   Domain: wilko@idca.tds.philips.nl
> |/|/ / / /( (_)                uucp  : [mcsun,hp4nl]!philapd!wilko
>* Philips Information Systems Nederland   phone:  055-432372 fax: 055-432103

Imagen did release two versions, the first version of UltraScript
was mainly intended for the SLM804 Laser Printer and required
2 Meg, they later came out with a version called UltraScript ST1,
or something like that, which worked one 1 Meg machines with all
the different printers supported...at least that is the way that
I was told and read.

Richard Hall
University of Michigan

wilko@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (W.C. Bulte) (01/31/91)

In article <1991Jan29.150136.1645@zip.eecs.umich.edu> heavy@zip.eecs.umich.edu (Richard Scott Hall) writes:

>Imagen did release two versions, the first version of UltraScript
>was mainly intended for the SLM804 Laser Printer and required
>2 Meg, they later came out with a version called UltraScript ST1,
>or something like that, which worked one 1 Meg machines with all
>the different printers supported...at least that is the way that

Is it possible to upgrade the 'old' US version to the new one? Does anyone
know which printers are supported in the newer version? If upgrades are
possible, what is the upgrade fee?

Maybe somebody has an email address of IMAGEN Corp, to enable me to ask
them directly.