[comp.sys.atari.st] someone explain, PLEASE!

rosenqui@crc.skl.dnd.ca (Eric Rosenquist) (01/22/91)

In article <14803@milton.u.washington.edu> ramsiri@blake.u.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) writes:
>I tried this four times... because i couldn't believe it.
>
>I was having problems with 3 bombs when calling STalker from
>within STeno:  STalker boots from C:\, while STeno i loaded
>from MULTIDESK run as a program (not acc).  Mind you, i have
>had them working together before.. but since i ran TUNEUP
>earlier in the day to optimize my C:\ drive (i never have
>used the optimize option before, always copied, zeroed, copied)
>.. things have gotten strange:
>
>I wanted to start fresh.  So i grabbed the original STalker/STeno
>disk I bought last week.  Deleted Stalker files from C:\
>etc.. and created a new folder on C:\ -> STALKER... copied
>entire contents of disk A:\ into C:\STALKER ... then i
>pulled STALKER.acc and STALKER.rsc out onto C:\ root.
>Ran the program.  When i went to set things up.. i discovered
>that all my defaults from my previous settings were there..
>including my port, terminal, autodialer etc.. I was confused..
>
>So.. i deleted everything related to STalker.. the entire folder
>etc.. from C:\.  Recreated a C:\STALKER.  Copied original disk
>contents once again to C:\STALKER.  Pulled the acc and rsc onto
>the root directory.  Rebooted etc.  Again, the defaults i had
>been using all week were there. huh?  SO, i decided to run
>STalker.acc from the floppy by loading it via multidesk.
>This time, STalker had the default settings that I saw when
>I first ran the program day 1.  My defaults were no where to
>be seen.  So, knowing that the floppy was never written to
>I deleted all related STalker folders and files from C:\
>and AGAIN.. recreated a new folder STALKER.. loaded the
>floppy into it.. pulled the acc and rsc files onto the root..
>etc... booted .. and my personal setting were there.  Mind you,
>these are cold boots.  Now..
>
>1) Am i losing it?
>2) Does TOS 1.4 have some weird bug where if you delete
>   a folder/file(s), write NOTHING else, then recreate a "new"
>   folder or file(s) of the same name, not copy the new items?
>3) What did TUNEUP do to my drive?
>
>I am about to copy C:\'s contents.. zero C:\ and then copy back
>to see if I am not bonkers.
>
>-kevin

STalker's settings get saved in a file called STALKER.INF in the root
directory of your boot drive (more technically, STalker looks for this
file in the 'current' GEMDOS directory when it is booted, which for an
ACC is A:\ or C:\).  It must still be there, otherwise STalker would
have reverted to the 'factory' defaults.  Perhaps something during or
after the Tuneup made the file hidden?

Eric

bkr@mcshh.hanse.de (Bjoern Kriews) (01/25/91)

In article <14803@milton.u.washington.edu>, ramsiri@blake.u.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) writes:
> I tried this four times... because i couldn't believe it.
>
> I was having problems with 3 bombs when calling STalker from
> within STeno:  STalker boots from C:\, while STeno i loaded
> from MULTIDESK run as a program (not acc).  Mind you, i have
> had them working together before.. but since i ran TUNEUP
> earlier in the day to optimize my C:\ drive (i never have
> used the optimize option before, always copied, zeroed, copied)
> .. things have gotten strange:
>

> problems with STalker after using TuneUp Optimizer

The first time a friend of mine used this option, it destroyed
several binaries on his HD. I don't know which version he used,
perhaps the problem is fixed now.

I can't explain your situation - the only (IMHO) possible explanation
would be that your fat is so much garbled that it always points to the
old data - even if this would be true - strange !

solution: before you start to copy/zero, backup and try another
Optimizer/Cleaner named Harddisk Sentry - very reliable - gets
things back to work in most cases.

* bjoern@drdhh.hanse.de - Bjoern Kriews, Hamburg, FRG
*
* make love...

wolfram@cip-s02.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Wolfram Roesler) (01/31/91)

bkr@mcshh.hanse.de (Bjoern Kriews) writes:

>> problems with STalker after using TuneUp Optimizer

>I can't explain your situation - the only (IMHO) possible explanation
>would be that your fat is so much garbled that it always points to the
>old data - even if this would be true - strange !

This might be the solution, a friend warned me to use TuneUp because it
uses to reorganise the disk and crash before it can update the FAT.
Dreadful sorry... :-(