[comp.sys.atari.st] PD for profit

seitz@netcom.UUCP (Matthew Seitz) (01/26/91)

In article <1885@quando.quantum.de> elliott@quando.UUCP (C. David Elliott) writes:

>If you have a look at some public domain software and read the documentation
>files and such like, you will usually see the author saying something like
>
>>>	This program is public domain and should not be sold for profit.
>
>To me this means pretty clearly that public domain software shouldn't be sold
>to make a profit (and if you buy any at profit making-prices perhaps you
>should look around a bit better first because - at least in the UK and
>Germany - many PD libraries exist which are run as non-profit making
>organisations).

As soon as an author says a program is public domain, he loses all control over
it.  The phrase "should not be sold for profit" is just the author's opinion
and carries no legal force.  Whether it carries any moral force is up to the
individual.  If someone wants to sell a public domain program, that's between
him and the buyer, and there's no legal reason he can't do it.

If you really want to insure that a program can't be sold for profit, keep the
copyright.  Then you can place as many or as few restrictions as you want on
it's distribution, including prohibiting sale for profit.

--
					Matthew Seitz
					seitz@netcom.UUCP

wolf@fb14vax.sbsvax.uucp (Wolfgang Huwig) (01/30/91)

In article <21933@netcom.UUCP> seitz@netcom.UUCP (Matthew Seitz) writes:

|In article <1885@quando.quantum.de> elliott@quando.UUCP (C. David Elliott) writes:
|>
|>If you have a look at some public domain software and read the documentation
|>files and such like, you will usually see the author saying something like

|>To me this means pretty clearly that public domain software shouldn't be sold
|>to make a profit (and if you buy any at profit making-prices perhaps you
|>should look around a bit better first because - at least in the UK and
|>Germany - many PD libraries exist which are run as non-profit making
|>organisations).
Really? If you mean the - most often academic - sites which act as ftp or
mail servers that's true. But a look at those ST related mags (at least
here in Germany) implies that there's a really big market for PD. I guess
many ST users don't know another way to get this software and so they pay
8 to 10 times the price of an empty disk (without shipping). This seems a
bit more than the costs for copying. Some authors are aware of this fact
and explicitly forbid this kind of distribution. Well done.
Are there any other ways? Perhaps user clubs? How is this done in other
countries?

|As soon as an author says a program is public domain, he loses all control over
|it.  The phrase "should not be sold for profit" is just the author's opinion
|and carries no legal force.  Whether it carries any moral force is up to the
|individual.  If someone wants to sell a public domain program, that's between
|him and the buyer, and there's no legal reason he can't do it.

|If you really want to insure that a program can't be sold for profit, keep the
|copyright.  Then you can place as many or as few restrictions as you want on
|it's distribution, including prohibiting sale for profit.
I agree. Moreover, I think real PD software hardly exists. Most authors
keep the copyright or declare their programs as 'freeware' or even
'shareware'. Btw., does naming them so carry any legal force (without
mentioning the copyright)?

-Wolfgang

| Wolfgang Huwig       CS Dept./AI Lab       University of Saarland |
+                             +-------------------------------------+
| Internet: wolf@cs.uni-sb.de | This space intentionally left blank |
+-----------------------------+-------------------------------------+

seitz@netcom.UUCP (Matthew Seitz) (02/01/91)

In article <WOLF.91Jan30154616@fb14vax.sbsvax.uucp> wolf@fb14vax.sbsvax.uucp (Wolfgang Huwig) writes:
>Moreover, I think real PD software hardly exists. Most authors
>keep the copyright or declare their programs as 'freeware' or even
>'shareware'. Btw., does naming them so carry any legal force (without
>mentioning the copyright)?

Nope.  The copyright must me explicitly mentioned.  "Freeware" and "shareware"
have no legal meaning.
--
					Matthew Seitz
					seitz@netcom.UUCP