[comp.sys.atari.st] Answer to "what does CACHEnnn do?"

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (02/01/91)

carter@cat34.cs.wisc.edu (Gregory Carter) writes:
>I don't even know of [a disk accelerator] that does, except Atari's really
>absurd cache program, which doesn't work worth a dam.

You might not understand what CACHEnnn does.  If you think it is supposed
to do something that it doesn't do, you will think it does it badly.

Try this: without running CACHEnnn say "show info" on a disk (floppy or
hard). Now say it again.  Took a while, right?  Had to hit the disk both
times, right?

Now run CACHEnnn (with nnn at least 020) and and do it again. The second
time you "show info," the disk isn't accessed, because the information is
in memory already.  That's an example of what CACHEnnn does.

(This demonstration won't work with a write-protected floppy, because the
second "show info" will actually read the disk to detect media change.)

CACHEnnn doesn't do much good on a machine with TOS older than 1.4 because
those versions used the cache badly: adding more buffers to a badly managed
cache doesn't help.  But STe's have TOS 1.6 or 1.62, so that's not an issue.

carter@cat34.cs.wisc.edu (Gregory Carter) (02/02/91)

I am familiar with the specifics of CACHENNN thank you Alan.

What I would like to know is, what kind of cache program will work
with TOS 2.05 RELIABLY?

Does anyone sell one?  And whats the # to call?

--Gregory

PS: <ALT-FLAME> Has anyone nocticed that, with 4 MEGS of memory on an
    ST, that its such a HUGE WASTE except for running dum demo's
    or making BIG RAM DISKS?  Thank God we have Mr. Small so we can
    actually make all that room USEFUL.