[comp.sys.atari.st] Losing folders...

nut@nuthaus.UUCP (Adam G. Tilghman) (01/27/91)

	Periodically my ST finds itself unable to chdir from the
root directory of my HD partitions... This has a dire
effect on my programs, to say the least.  It has only recently
shown up - it conicides with my installation of Mercury UUCP,
which is fairly disk intensive.  I don't think that it's the
40-folder bug, since I have FOLDR999.PRG installed, but who
am I to say?  The system is a Mega ST2, TOS 1.2, Turbo16, Mono, ICD
4.6.2 software, with no other AUTO or .ACC programs loaded.  Has
this problem been sighted before?

-- adam
--
   =    Adam G. Tilghman - SysOp/WizOp/Janitor of Eleusesthai BBS   =
   = USnail: 116 Escanyo Dr., So. San Francisco, CA, 94080-4134 USA =

Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (01/31/91)

In article <8440512@nuthaus.UUCP> nut@nuthaus.UUCP (Adam G. Tilghman)
writes:

>  Periodically my ST finds itself unable to chdir from the
> root directory of my HD partitions... This has a dire
> effect on my programs, to say the least.  It has only recently
> shown up - it conicides with my installation of Mercury UUCP,
> which is fairly disk intensive.  I don't think that it's the
> 40-folder bug, since I have FOLDR999.PRG installed, but who
> am I to say?  The system is a Mega ST2, TOS 1.2, Turbo16, Mono, ICD
> 4.6.2 software, with no other AUTO or .ACC programs loaded.  Has
> this problem been sighted before?
>
> -- adam
> --
>    =    Adam G. Tilghman - SysOp/WizOp/Janitor of Eleusesthai BBS   =
>    = USnail: 116 Escanyo Dr., So. San Francisco, CA, 94080-4134 USA =
>    = nut@nuthaus.UUCP  {hoptoad,well}!wet!nuthaus!nut  nut@wet.UUCP =

Have you reFormated your drive ?? this could fix a week sector, do you
get ICD error massages ??, also there should be no need to use FolderFix
with the ICD Booter as this has it built in ..also it would be a lot
better to get your TOS upgraded to 1.4, as this problem with the folder
fix has allmost been eliminated, can't crash your system now, you get a
warning message, Note Folder999 will chew up a bit of Ram !!

--
Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...

frans@nlsca.UUCP (Frans Meijer) (02/01/91)

In <8440512@nuthaus.UUCP> nut@nuthaus.UUCP (Adam G. Tilghman) writes:

>	Periodically my ST finds itself unable to chdir from the
>root directory of my HD partitions... This has a dire
>effect on my programs, to say the least.
>Has this problem been sighted before?

Maybe.
We have about 5 or 6 different machines here and we all have lost
some subdirs here and there. Especially STe's seem to have the problem.
When we dove into it it turned out that in the directory, from a
certain entry onwards, everything had moved up one byte! So the Nth
file was missing the first char of its name and evreything after it
had moved one byte. So indices into the FAT, time/date stamps, length
etc was /completely/ f*ked up. We had this about five or six times now,
(in one year) but nobody believes us. It looks like a severe timing
problem.
** Atari guys, are you listening? **
Remember the ~10% of the Ste's last year that hed a timing problem
with the DMA? It was fixed by adding a capacitor somewhere...
Well on those machines it was reproducable. I made a little
something that kept making and deleting subdirs and after an hour
or so it went bang.
Any body else?
--
Frans Meijer, Sweelinck Conservatory           |  "Military intelligence is
Amsterdam          <frans@nlsca.uucp>          |   a contradiction in terms."

Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (02/01/91)

From what I read Atari replaced the DMA chip, as there was a faulty
batch, they also stated that the DMA cable must not be longer than 12",
that is very funny as there cable is 19" long, I have read that some
machines had the Atari Mod: done but they still did not work with Atari
hard disks, also read that Atari came out with a New main PCB for the
STE...I did read that ICD investigated the fault, most were because of
noise,(Data Books on TTL do state not to run TTL more than 12"), but did
find the byte shifting problem was posibly the DMA chip ..also noted
that a few dealers were replacing the DMA chip with some from older
machines. I would like to bye a STE, but will wait till all the bugs
have gone, Unable to get Atari to state if TOS 1.62 has the PoolFix
problem removed...

--
Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...

carter@cat34.cs.wisc.edu (Gregory Carter) (02/02/91)

I have a TRIPLE shielded 19'' cable for my machine which works REALLY
well, its a data spec, and haven't had any problems with data loss at
all.  When you look at this baby you can tell its BUILT nice.

--Gregory