[comp.sys.atari.st] GEM key sequences

wright@hpcc01.HP.COM (Jeff Wright) (01/29/91)

Here is a summary of information I got from a question a few months
ago (sorry to take awhile; didn't get the feeling anybody was too
interested).  Basically the question was "what key sequences does GEM
respond to?":

"Classic" GEM keys:
   alt-help				screen dump
   esc					re-read disk for active window
   mouse left + shift			select additional files

TOS 1.4 GEM keys:
   mouse left + ctrl			move instead of copy
   ctrl-alt-del				warm reboot
   ctrl-alt-shift-del			cold reboot
   dbl-click+shift on back window	run program with cwd == top window
      (no tos1.4: cwd == back window)
   click+shift				toggle selection

Show file keys:
   space				page forward
   return				line forward
   q					exit show

--Jeff Wright                           HP Circuit Technology R&D
  wright@hpctgrd.hp.com                   (HPtelnet/415) 857-5351

tony@tacky.cs.olemiss.edu (Tony Reynolds) (01/31/91)

In article <1540005@hpcc01.HP.COM> wright@hpcc01.HP.COM (Jeff Wright) writes:
>Here is a summary of information I got from a question a few months
>ago (sorry to take awhile; didn't get the feeling anybody was too
>interested).  Basically the question was "what key sequences does GEM
>respond to?":
>
>"Classic" GEM keys:
>   alt-help				screen dump
>   esc					re-read disk for active window
>   mouse left + shift			select additional files

I thought everybody knew about the left mouse button:
Left mouse hold+ right mouse            select things in inactive window
(Shift works here, too I think)
Left mouse hold+ right mouse dbl clk    launch from inactive window

And even neater is the "mouse program trick"
Double click an executable, then either hold the mouse button down or
push the mouse up to the GEM menu bar and let go.  The program won't
start until you let go of the mouse button or move the mouse from
the menu bar.

If you've seen this, is there an abort sequence, i.e. OOOPS?
I've looked for about a year, ALT-this-that-or-the-other, CNTRL-(same)
Space, etc, double click, you name it.  Maybe there isn't one, but
it sure would be nice

>--Jeff Wright                           HP Circuit Technology R&D
>  wright@hpctgrd.hp.com                   (HPtelnet/415) 857-5351

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Okay-- so your mail is bouncing when you send to 4dsci1.ocis.olemiss.edu---
So I forwarded my mail from tacky.cs.olemiss.edu, and now you can mail to my
old address: tony@tacky.cs.olemiss.edu   Thanks!

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (01/31/91)

tony@tacky.cs.olemiss.edu (Tony Reynolds) writes:

- I thought everybody knew about the left mouse button:
- Left mouse hold+ right mouse            select things in inactive window
- (Shift works here, too I think)
- Left mouse hold+ right mouse dbl clk    launch from inactive window

As a bit of trivia, this apparently started out as a bug in GEM, but
they left it in for the later TOSs.  As many know, NeoDesk
has this feature and even exapnds on it letting you resize, move,
expand, scroll, close windows.

Strange how these things evolve.  No wonder Atari tends to call them
'features' instead of 'bugs.' ;^)
--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

ripley@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de (Hans-Ch. Eckert) (01/31/91)

In article <1991Jan30.174410.190@cs.olemiss.edu> tony@tacky.cs.olemiss.edu (Tony Reynolds) writes:

   In article <1540005@hpcc01.HP.COM> wright@hpcc01.HP.COM (Jeff Wright) writes:

   I thought everybody knew about the left mouse button:
   Left mouse hold+ right mouse            select things in inactive window
   (Shift works here, too I think)
   Left mouse hold+ right mouse dbl clk    launch from inactive window
Difficulty in distinguishing left from right lately, haven't you ? :-)

   If you've seen this, is there an abort sequence, i.e. OOOPS?
   I've looked for about a year, ALT-this-that-or-the-other, CNTRL-(same)
   Space, etc, double click, you name it.  Maybe there isn't one, but
   it sure would be nice
As for TOS 1.4, you can abort copy/move-tasks with Undo.

Greetings,
				RIPLEY
--
Greetings from RIPLEY | D-1000 Berlin 30    | ripley@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de
Hans-Christian Eckert | Regensburger Str. 2 | (ripley@tubopal.UUCP)

warwick@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (Warwick Allison) (01/31/91)

In <1991Jan30.174410.190@cs.olemiss.edu> tony@tacky.cs.olemiss.edu (Tony Reynolds) writes:

>Double click an executable, then either hold the mouse button down or
>push the mouse up to the GEM menu bar and let go.  The program won't
>start until you let go of the mouse button or move the mouse from
>the menu bar.

>If you've seen this, is there an abort sequence, i.e. OOOPS?
>I've looked for about a year, ALT-this-that-or-the-other, CNTRL-(same)
>Space, etc, double click, you name it.  Maybe there isn't one, but
>it sure would be nice

I think you should give up on that one, I think it is just a result
of the GEM event handler not returning control to the desktop until
the mouse is released, or the mouse is out of the menu bar object.

Warwick.

	This .signature intentionally left blank

wright@hpcc01.HP.COM (Jeff Wright) (02/01/91)

Here's an expanded list based on e-mail input and some experimentation
at home.  If you want to test your skill, try to copy a file from a
non-foreground window to another window without raising the source
window and without using the mouse :-).

Legend:
   alt = Alternate
   ctl = Control
   del = Delete
   [cursor] = any of up, down, left, right arrows

"Classic" GEM keys:
   alt+Help				screen dump
   Return				accept default dialog button (the one
					with the bold outline)
   Esc					re-read disk for active window; ALSO,
					erase GEM text input field
   left click+Shift			toggle file selection (allows multiple
					selections)
   hold mouse right+left click		select file from background window

"Classic" GEM keyboard equivalents to mouse actions:
   alt+Insert				left mouse button
   alt+ClrHome				right mouse button
   alt+Shift+[cursor]			move pointer by 1 pixel
   alt+[cursor]				move pointer by 8 pixels
   alt+Insert+[cursor]			left drag

TOS 1.4 GEM keys:
   left drag+ctl			move instead of copy
   ctl+alt+del				warm reboot
   ctl+alt+shift+del			cold reboot
   dbl-click left+Shift			run program in background window with
					current directory set to background
					window directory

Show file keys:
   space				page forward
   return				line forward
   q					exit show
   d					half-page foreward (TOS 1.4 only)

tony@tacky.cs.olemiss.edu (Tony Reynolds) (02/02/91)

In article <RIPLEY.91Jan30234531@basilisk.cs.tu-berlin.de> ripley@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de (Hans-Ch. Eckert) writes:
>In article <1991Jan30.174410.190@cs.olemiss.edu> tony@tacky.cs.olemiss.edu (Tony Reynolds) writes:
>
>   In article <1540005@hpcc01.HP.COM> wright@hpcc01.HP.COM (Jeff Wright) writes:
>
>   I thought everybody knew about the left mouse button:
>   Left mouse hold+ right mouse            select things in inactive window
>   (Shift works here, too I think)
>   Left mouse hold+ right mouse dbl clk    launch from inactive window
>Difficulty in distinguishing left from right lately, haven't you ? :-)
>
>Greetings,
>				RIPLEY
And to think I used to be a drill-team commander!  Duhhhhh.
Scene at job interview:

Interviewer: Hold up your RIGHT hand.

[Tony holds up both hands, the left one a little lower than the right.]

Interviewer: Goot.  Now, hold up your LEFT hand.

[Tony holds up both hands again]

Interviewer:  Something fishy here.  Forget it.  I don't want to hire you!

Tony: Yeah, well, I wouldn't want to work for anyone who makes me tell
      my right from my left anyway.  Why do you think I quit the Air Force?

Okay-- so your mail is bouncing when you send to 4dsci1.ocis.olemiss.edu---
So I forwarded my mail from tacky.cs.olemiss.edu, and now you can mail to my
old address: tony@tacky.cs.olemiss.edu   Thanks!

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (02/02/91)

wright@hpcc01.HP.COM (Jeff Wright) writes:

- "Classic" GEM keys:
-  alt+Help                             screen dump

How about this one: press ALT-HELP again to stop the screen dump.

Ralph Turner mentioned this once in ST Informer.