[comp.sys.atari.st] Questions, things for sale

sstreep@next.com (Sam Streeper) (01/17/91)

I have a few questions and a few things for sale:

1) I'm looking for a good music setup, both keyboard and software.  Can
someone recommend a good software package?  I need both sequencing and
scoring, although score printing is not _too_ important.  I didn't like
EZScore as it was pretty limited - no tempo changes, input was tedious,
etc.  Price is not
too important, and I'd like something that can go on my hard disk without
resorting to a floppy disk key.  (I have a mega 2, 60 meg hard disk, mono
monitor)

2) What's a good value in keyboards?  I need at least 8 note polyphonic,
multitimbral, good rich sounds, touch sensitivity, and ideally something
I can program patches for.  Price should be under $1000 (well under, if
possible), and I really have no idea what's out there.

3) Any Blood Money players out there?  This is one of the most playable
and enjoyable games I have ever seen, but what I want to know is: are
there any cheats for this game?  I eventually finished it without cheating,
but there must be _some_ way to cheat!  I did find one undocumented thing:
If you press one of the function keys (f7, I think) shortly after the game
starts, the game switches from 50Hz flicker mode to a 60Hz smooth display,
which is much easier on they eyes at 3am.  Don't press f10 as that bombs the
computer!

4) Things for sale:  I have complete developers docs (about 8 or 10 thick
binders) with full Gem, gemdos, bios, hardware docs etc.  I haven't used
them for a year (since I have a 68040 machine 8^)) $65 / Best Offer

I also have GFA Basic 3 (Interpreter, compiler, resource construction program)
Prospero C, Prospero Pascal,
Prospero Fortran, Prospero Toolkit (assembler and resource construction set)
Word Writer 2.0  (all with original docs etc)
Make reasonable offer on all or part by email.

Sorry for the diversity of topics here (look ma, something for everyone)
-sam  (sam_s @ NeXT.com)

bill@mwca.UUCP (Bill Sheppard) (01/18/91)

In article <193@rosie.NeXT.COM> sstreep@next.com (Sam Streeper) writes:
>I have a few questions and a few things for sale:
>
>1) I'm looking for a good music setup, both keyboard and software.  Can
>someone recommend a good software package?  I need both sequencing and
>scoring, although score printing is not _too_ important...

For sequencing I'd recommend Alchimie Jr., a shareware sequencer currently
available on GEnie's MIDI RT (and at atari.archive when I figure out how to
get it there w/o FTP access). It doesn't do scoring, but it will export
standard MIDI files, so maybe Copyist could print the files.

>2) What's a good value in keyboards?  I need at least 8 note polyphonic,
>multitimbral, good rich sounds, touch sensitivity, and ideally something
>I can program patches for.  Price should be under $1000 (well under, if
>possible), and I really have no idea what's out there.

For a single keyboard, I was impressed with the Roland E5 Intelligent
Synthesizer ($899 locally, $1499 retail). It is full-sized 61-key velocity
sensitive. I don't know about the patch capability. However, I've opted to
go another route which is both cheaper and more flexible - I purchased a
Yamaha PSS-790 ($249), which has _excellent_ sampled sounds, phenomenal
rhythm section programs, _28-note_ polyphony, a built-in 8-track sequencer,
full 16-channel MIDI, but lacks velocity sensitivity, full-size keys (they
are mid-size), and the ability to do patches. I will add to this a Yamaha or
Roland digital piano for ~$350, which will have full-size velocity-sensitive
keys, and use it to control the superior sound and rhythms of the PSS-790.
You could probably add a separate sound module with the ability to do patches
and have an even more flexible system, still under $1000.

#  Bill Sheppard  --  bills@microware.com  --  {uunet,sun}!mcrware!mwca!bill   #
#  Microware Systems Corporation  ---  OS-9: Seven generations beyond __/_!!   #
#######Opinions expressed are my own, though you'd be wise to adopt them!#######

emerson@gandalf.Berkeley.EDU (Emerson Mei) (01/18/91)

Notator is of course the most powerful notaion program in the Atari
world.  It'll make you wonder how a 8mhz 68000 can do all that ;->
It's also probaly the most powerful sequencer bar none.  The only
thing I would not recommend it for is if you want to do a lot of time
signature changes. I don't but it doesn't look as flexible as it
should (any comments out there?).  Luckily there are quite a few
other choices, Dr. t's etc if you don't want the fairly steep
learning curve, although it is a very satisfiing program to work with
because it's so logical and flexible. It just has a LOT of features.

s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) (01/19/91)

In article <40450@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> emerson@gandalf.Berkeley.EDU (Emerson Mei) writes:
>Notator is of course the most powerful notaion program in the Atari
>world.  It'll make you wonder how a 8mhz 68000 can do all that ;->
>It's also probaly the most powerful sequencer bar none.  The only
>thing I would not recommend it for is if you want to do a lot of time
>signature changes. I don't but it doesn't look as flexible as it
>should (any comments out there?).  Luckily there are quite a few
>other choices, Dr. t's etc if you don't want the fairly steep
>learning curve, although it is a very satisfiing program to work with
>because it's so logical and flexible. It just has a LOT of features.

Have you guys ever heard of Cubase 2.0 by Steinberg Software? It also
has notation capabilities up to the level of professional use.
It is also cheaper than Notator, at least here.
As a sequencer Cubase is the ultimate choise for a pro-level musician.
It is very easy to use and uses the special features that ST offers to
give the best flexibility to forget the program and concentrate to creating
music. I have used both Notator and Cubase and guess which one got kicked out?

I am not connected to Steinberg in any way, just a very happy end-user.

	Jartsu

	*** Jari Lehto, jartsu@otax.hut.fi, s37837k@saha.hut.fi ***

mjs@hpfcso.HP.COM (Marc Sabatella) (01/22/91)

>    >Notator is of course the most powerful notaion program in the Atari
>    >world.  It'll make you wonder how a 8mhz 68000 can do all that ;->
>    >It's also probaly the most powerful sequencer bar none.  The only
>    >thing I would not recommend it for is if you want to do a lot of time
>    >signature changes. I don't but it doesn't look as flexible as it
>    >should (any comments out there?).

I have had no problem with them.  There are various gotchas alluded to in the
manula, but in my opinion, they are obvious, and the manual gives them far too
much attention, making it look like they are difficult to deal with when in
fact it is trivial.  The problems have do do with offsets in the arrange list,
and if you're doing notation, you probably aren't using arrange mode anyhow.

>    Have you guys ever heard of Cubase 2.0 by Steinberg Software? It also
>    has notation capabilities up to the level of professional use.
>    It is also cheaper than Notator, at least here.

I think it is slightly cheaper here too, but not so you'd notice.

When I was asking about notation software before, someone (probably you)
mentioned Cubase, as did a guy at Manny's, but he didn't know much about it.
Can you tell us more about it?  Comparison with Notator would be especially
appreciated.  I've never seen a review of Cubase, just the ads, which don't
seem to be overly hyped (hence don't make it look so impressive :-)

--------------
Marc Sabatella (marc@hpmonk.fc.hp.com)
Disclaimers:
	2 + 2 = 3, for suitably small values of 2
	Bill and Dave may not always agree with me

ken@opusc.csd.scarolina.edu (Ken Sallenger) (01/24/91)

In article <7340065@hpfcso.HP.COM> mjs@hpfcso.HP.COM (Marc Sabatella) writes:

=> ...mentioned Cubase,...
=> Can you tell us more about it?  Comparison with Notator would be especially
=> appreciated.

In the February 1991 issue of _Electronic Musician_, there's a comparative
review of the latest versions of Cubase and Notator.  I don't remember
who wrote the review, but as I recall he praised Cubase for sequencing,
Notator for scoring.
--
     Ken Sallenger / ken@bigbird.csd.scarolina.edu / +1 803 777-6551
     Computer Services Division / 1244 Blossom ST / Columbia, SC 29208

mjs@hpfcso.HP.COM (Marc Sabatella) (02/02/91)

>>It's also probaly the most powerful sequencer bar none.  The only
>>thing I would not recommend it for is if you want to do a lot of time
>>signature changes. I don't but it doesn't look as flexible as it
>>should (any comments out there?).

Back then I responded:

>I have had no problem with them.  There are various gotchas alluded to in the
>manula, but in my opinion, they are obvious, and the manual gives them far too
>much attention, making it look like they are difficult to deal with when in
>fact it is trivial.  The problems have do do with offsets in the arrange list,
>and if you're doing notation, you probably aren't using arrange mode anyhow.

Now I've changed my tune slightly (no pun intended).

I am trying to put together a songbook, and would like to keep the individual
songs in one .SON file, so I can control formatting et al globally.  I had
planned to go with one song per pattern, theoretically giving me 99 songs.

But I'm having trouble getting the time signature changes or double/repeat bar
lines for each song to be independent.  Because they are global to the song and
not to the pattern, time signature changes or double/repeat bar line markings
in one pattern affect all the other ones.  So I turn on Arrange Mode, and
Global Positions, so now I can get independent settings for each line of the
arrange list, but I can't get all 99 patterns in an arrange list.  Another
really gross option would be to start each pattern "n" at bar "n"*100.

I thought of storing each song as a pattern, so I could keep the formatting
settings global in the .SON file, but this shouldn't do any good, since I would
assume the time signature changes and bar lines markings would not be saved as
part of the pattern, but rather as part of the song.  I suppose I should check
this out, though.

Does anyone else have clever workarounds for this?  Kevin, did you run into
this when you were trying to do your book on Notator?