[comp.sys.atari.st] Flames

pietrzak@solarium.CWRU.EDU (John Pietrzak) (09/30/89)

   I enjoy spending friday nights reading these comments:

In article <45e9895f.71d0@apollo.HP.COM> rehrauer@apollo.COM (Steve Rehrauer) writes:
(stuff deleted)

>Since when has hardware been the only important factor?  TOS is junk.
>GEM is near-junk in its present buggy ST incarnation.  No, that's not
>fair I guess; TOS & GEM are "priced almost appropriately" -- howzzat?
>You should pick your hardware based largely on what it will run that
>you wish to run.  Why else would bazillions of people still choose to
>buy XT/AT-clones (price aside :) ?

   Yup, you're right on the ball, Steve.  You should also mention that MS-Dos
is ancient and tired.  OS/2 has no software support and changes from day to
day.  Mac's finder is slow and anti-programmers.  Unix is the epitome of
unfriendly.  Why do people even try to put an operating system on computers?

>IBM/NEC/Zenith and Apple >>> OWN <<< the portable market in this country.

   I'd say that Apple would have had to already marketed a few portable
machines for them to own any portion of the portable market, although they are
in a good position to sell quite a few in the near future.

>[ I find it helps to think of Atari as a European company
>that builds for Europe, sells in Europe, and just coincidentally happens
>to live in the U.S. ]
>
>Forget "cold fusion"; if we could
>only bottle "Atari-owner loyalty" there wouldn't BE an energy crisis.  :)
>(So speaks an ex-Atari-enthusiast.)

   Looks like atari's support for their own machines has axed another user.
Beginning to sound like a broken record.

>--
>    Fone: (508)256-6600 x6168             | Apollo Computer, a
>    ARPA: rehrauer@apollo.hp.com          | division of Hewlett-Packard
>"Look, Max: 'Pressurized cheese in a can'.  Even _WE_ wouldn't eat that!"

   Just hate to see a flame without throwing some fuel on it.
           J. P.

mike@pixar.UUCP (Mike Russell) (11/16/89)

Please lets quench the chest beating and Atari flaming, for a
while anyway, and stick to straight ahead questions and info
about the Atari ST.  Hmmm?
--
Mike Russell ucbvax!pixar!mike	When the vark gets ard,
				the ard get varking.

carter@cat34.cs.wisc.edu (Gregory Carter) (02/02/91)

Thanks for the flames people!  Well, let me state, that as far as I am
concerned Atari is heading the right direction with their STe.

I really enjoy my machine(Mega STe), otherwise I wouldn't be writing about
my current situation.

PLUS might I add, the new desktop (TOS 2.05) is nothing short of VERY
USEFUL.    I am very pleased with it.

But for that matter on to someting a little less trivial:

Does anybody KNOW where I can get information about the internals on
the MegaSTe?  I have so much I want to do, yet can't do it because
I actually don't have the faintest idea where everything is?

--Gregory