[comp.sys.atari.st] Dbase on the ST

D.M.Johnson@newcastle.ac.uk (Dave Johnson) (01/21/91)

I was just wondering. Is there anything like 'Dbase' on the ST or a
similar database programming language.
If so is it PD or not, (Place all standard questions here)

Yours

Dave Johnson

+------------------------------------+----------------------------------------+
| David M. Johnson                   | Janet : D.M.Johnson@uk.ac.newcastle    |
| c/o Electrical and Electronic Eng. | ARPA  : D.M.Johnson@newcastle.ac.uk    |
|     Merz Court                     | UUCP  : ...ukc!newcastle!D.M.Johnson   |
|     Newcastle University           |                                        |
|     Newcastle upon Tyne            |                                        |
|     NE1 7RU                        |                                        |
+------------------------------------+----------------------------------------+
| 'There are only three just wars in American history: The American Civil War,|
| World War II and the Star Wars Trilogy,                                     |
|       Peace Dudes'                                                          |
+------------------------------------+----------------------------------------+

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (01/22/91)

In article <1991Jan21.141119.13264@newcastle.ac.uk> D.M.Johnson@newcastle.ac.uk (Dave Johnson) writes:

>I was just wondering. Is there anything like 'Dbase' on the ST or a
>similar database programming language.
>If so is it PD or not, (Place all standard questions here)

This question crops up often.  There is a program called dBMAN which is
dBASE compatible.  It is commercial and put out by a firm (Versasoft)
which produces it for all kinds of platforms.  I have it and find it
satisfactory.  Current release is V.
--
William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577

techno@lime.in-berlin.de (Frank G. Dahncke) (01/24/91)

D.M.Johnson@newcastle.ac.uk (Dave Johnson) writes:

>I was just wondering. Is there anything like 'Dbase' on the ST or a
>similar database programming language.
>If so is it PD or not, (Place all standard questions here)

Yes, there is. It's Superbase Professional by Precision Software. It's
better but still compatible with dBase.

I at least am very satisfied with it.

                Hope this helps,

                          Techno

--
| techno@zelator.in-berlin.de ||| Please do not e-mail from outside Germany ! |
| techno@lime.in-berlin.de   / | \ Hardcore ST user !  ====================== |

techno@lime.in-berlin.de (Techno) (01/29/91)

Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz writes:

>What is wrong with Adimens, from what I read the German Judiciary use
>it, and is now out in English...

Nothing, I hope. I didn't buy it because it is more expensive than
Superbase III, but I have no use for it's features. Plus, I don't think
Adimens command language is dBase compatible.

                     Hope this helps,

                               Techno
--

rodent@netcom.UUCP (Ben Discoe) (02/02/91)

techno@lime.in-berlin.de (Frank G. Dahncke) writes:
>D.M.Johnson@newcastle.ac.uk (Dave Johnson) writes:

>>I was just wondering. Is there anything like 'Dbase' on the ST or a
>>similar database programming language.

>Yes, there is. It's Superbase Professional by Precision Software. It's
>better but still compatible with dBase.

Superbase Pro is NOT compatible with dBase - only the data files are.
There is a program called dBMan which is 100% dBase compatible, also
with many useful extensions.  In fact, dBMan is available for 40
platforms, from the ST and Amiga through Unix machines all the way up
to mainframes.  All programs and data are compatible across all platforms.

dBMan comes with a compiler, report generator, and assorted utilities.
It has more features than you can shake a stick at.  If you have serious
database needs, check it out.

>| techno@zelator.in-berlin.de ||| Please do not e-mail from outside Germany ! |
--------
Ben Discoe, computer scientist/deep ecologist