[comp.sys.atari.st] SoftLink

ramsiri@blake.u.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) (01/13/91)

My setup: 4MB TOS 1.4

ANybody have a configuration for SOFTLINK that works?
Linkedit tells me NOT ENOUGH MEMORY... even when
i use "SUGGESTED" and "FIT".

I have to create substantially smaller partitions
in order to even get SOFLTINK to load.  ANd when i
run softlink, NOTATOR screen comes up.. mouse freezes..
Then i warmboot which puts me into partition 2...at
which time i can SHIFT # between partitions, with
the exception of partition 1.. which is always in
current state of  busy bee or bomb...

How "virtual" are these partitions if you can't run GULAM
and TOGGLE between terminal and local?

Also, anyway to SAVE desktop configurations that can be autobooted
when initially running SOFTLINK?  Or does one have to configure
a new desktop for each partition (if you want different setups)
every time you start a session?

I am pretty sure REVOLVER doesn't work with NOTATOR..
any other partitioning programs that can be suggested..

My preference is to get SOFTLINK to do the trick, as this
is why i installed 1.4 an hour ago.

-thanks

kpc
.

wao@cbnewsm.att.com (william.a.oswald) (02/02/91)

What is Softlink? Is it similar to Revolver? If so which one
is considered to be better. By the way I own and use Revolver.

Thanks
Bill Oswald
aloft!wao

ramsiri@blake.u.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) (02/03/91)

In article <1991Feb2.151958.11041@cbnewsm.att.com> wao@cbnewsm.att.com (william.a.oswald) writes:
>What is Softlink? Is it similar to Revolver? If so which one
>is considered to be better. By the way I own and use Revolver.
>
>Thanks
>Bill Oswald
>aloft!wao

SOFTLINK is a product by C-LAB, the makers of CREATOR and NOTATOR
midi software.  The SOFTLINK.prg came  with the update to 2.2
version of NOTATOR (and CREATOR).  REVOLVER and SOFTLINK are
quite different.  SOFTLINK allows for limited MULTITASKING:
you can run multiple midi programs concurrently and exhange
midi datat real-time.. and you can also run GEM and TOS
programs while running midi programs CONCURRENTLY.  Softlink
partitions your RAM, but doesn't revolve it out to disk.  SO,
there are a couple of the differences between the two programs.
C-LAB  *WAS* working on another 'level' of SOFTLINK  that would multitask GEM and TOS.. but dropped development when they heard ATARI was putting out
a multitasking autofolder program.  Well.. we never did see
that ATARI program.. and C-LAB hasn't returned to the development
of a more powerful SOFTLINK.

AN example of what i have been able to do with SOFTLINK:

Run NOTATOR in partition 1 Playing a sequence
Run TEMPUS in partition 2 printing a file
Run STalker as an accessory in parition 3 in BBS mode
and have a friend log on remote and run gulam off my system.

kevin
ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu