[comp.sys.atari.st] SM124 monichrome monitor problem...

selick@bucsf.bu.edu (Steven Selick) (01/23/91)

I've had this SM124 monichrome monitor for about ummm...5 months and it
has a lot of extra light around the used portion. Is there an adjustment
for this (inside the monitor maybe?)? Help!
-steve
<selick@bucsf.bu.edu>

scott@tab00.larc.nasa.gov (Scott Yelich) (01/25/91)

> I've had this SM124 monichrome monitor for about ummm...5 months and it
> has a lot of extra light around the used portion. Is there an adjustment
> for this (inside the monitor maybe?)? Help!

I have posted this once before to comp.atari.st.tech but I received a grand
total of 0 responses:

1)  My sm124 is SLOWLY sliding the image to the LEFT.  The image still does not
    cover the entire screen, but that is ok.  I have not modified this monitor in
    any way, but the 1st and 2nd column on my 80 column screen are now compacted
    almost into a single vertical line!  Help?

2)  I am looking for the STOS patches for TOS 1.4.
    Is this PD, is there somewhere I can order it?  PLEASE, anyone?

    I have STOS and TOS 1.4 and my STOS is DOA.

Scott

--
Signature follows. [Skip now]

 Scott D. Yelich                         scott@[xanth.]cs.odu.edu [128.82.8.1]
 After he pushed me off the cliff, he asked me, as I fell, ``Why'd you jump?''
 Administrator of:    Game-Design requests to <game-design-request@cs.odu.edu>
 ODU/UNIX/BSD/X/C/ROOT/XANTH/CS/VSVN/

rosenkra@convex.com (William Rosencranz) (01/25/91)

In article <SCOTT.91Jan24133010@tab00.larc.nasa.gov> scott@tab00.larc.nasa.gov (Scott Yelich) writes:
>I have posted this once before to comp.atari.st.tech but I received a grand
>total of 0 responses:

ok, here is a response...

>1)My sm124 is SLOWLY sliding the image to the LEFT.  The image still does not
>cover the entire screen, but that is ok.  I have not modified this monitor in
>any way, but the 1st and 2nd column on my 80 column screen are now compacted
>almost into a single vertical line!  Help?

i, too, get this only on the right edge where it is less of a problem. it
seems to start after the monitor has been on for an hour or so. if i let it
cool off, it returns to "normal". i do remember reading a note on how to
fix this, maybe a year ago, but i do not know if i still have the note. i
think it requires making some adjustments inside (screen width or something).

-bill
rosenkra@convex.com
--
Bill Rosenkranz            |UUCP: {uunet,texsun}!convex!c1yankee!rosenkra
Convex Computer Corp.      |ARPA: rosenkra%c1yankee@convex.com

warwick@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (Warwick Allison) (01/25/91)

In <1991Jan24.221801.13560@convex.com> rosenkra@convex.com (William Rosencranz) writes:

>    [ Screen slides to the left ]                                      It
>seems to start after the monitor has been on for an hour or so. if i let it
>cool off, it returns to "normal". i do remember reading a note on how to
>fix this, maybe a year ago, but i do not know if i still have the note. i
>think it requires making some adjustments inside (screen width or something).

Hey, I just remembered, my monitor did that when I first got it, so took it
back to the dealer - it must be a common problem, surely SOMEONE knows why
it happens?

	This .signature intentionally left blank

sstreep@next.com (Sam Streeper) (01/26/91)

In article <6985@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au> warwick@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au writes:
>In <1991Jan24.221801.13560@convex.com> rosenkra@convex.com (William Rosencranz) writes:
>
>>    [ Screen slides to the left ]                                      It
>>seems to start after the monitor has been on for an hour or so. if i let it
>>cool off, it returns to "normal". i do remember reading a note on how to
>>fix this, maybe a year ago, but i do not know if i still have the note. i
>>think it requires making some adjustments inside (screen width or something).
>
>Hey, I just remembered, my monitor did that when I first got it, so took it
>back to the dealer - it must be a common problem, surely SOMEONE knows why
>it happens?

I have seen a few monitors do this; my own moves over about 1/8" between fully
cold and fully warm.  There might be a hardware problem here, but I don't
really know.  However, it is possible to manually adjust the left/right
picture (among other things) if you open the monitor up.  The plastic screw
to do this is reasonable well marked, and you will need a fairly long,
non-conducting screwdriver.

WARNING: Your monitor can kill you.  A cathode ray tube acts as a giant
capacitor; it can store about 50000 volts even when the monitor is
unplugged.  Touch the wrong thing and it will stop your heart.  You won't
even have a chance to finish fixing your display.

Basic monitor adjustments are easy, but you MUST know what you are doing.

Hope this helps
-sam

Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (01/28/91)

<1991Jan24.221801.13560@convex.com> <6985@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au>
Comment-To: warwick@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au

Rosencranz) writes:

> >    [ Screen slides to the left ]
 It
> >seems to start after the monitor has been on for an hour or so. if i
let it
> >cool off, it returns to "normal". i do remember reading a note on how
> >fix this, maybe a year ago, but i do not know if i still have the
note. i
> >think it requires making some adjustments inside (screen width or
something).

> Hey, I just remembered, my monitor did that when I first got it, so
took it
> back to the dealer - it must be a common problem, surely SOMEONE knows
why
> it happens?
> --
>
>  This .signature intentionally left blank

There is a Pot to adjust this VR 701, this Pot is on the Main PCB,
Please Use a Long plastic trimmer or insulated screw driver, long = 10"
Please be carefull when removing the Back, as there are speaker wires,
they do unplug, but can be a bit tricky to plug back in.
VR 701 = Horiz centre...

--
Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...

Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (01/29/91)

<6985@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au> <232@rosie.NeXT.COM>
Comment-To: sstreep@next.com

Well if the Monitors that I have touched had that sort of voltage I
should have been dead many times, The Voltage in a Monitor is not that
Dangerous, it only supplies about 500ua, and the Votage in a Colour
monitors is about 25KV, and about 12KV in a Mono Monitor, the safe bet
it to allways put one hand in your pocket, the High Votage in the
monitors, is fully insulated, so there no real problem...

--
Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...

ebowen@ub.d.umn.edu (eric bowen) (01/30/91)

   I have replied to a number of posts regarding monochrome monitor problems
   in the past week or so, and had offered to send a text file describing how
   to adjust them, unfortunately my home system is down indefinitely so I
   won't be able to do that.  However the file is availible on CompuServe,
   the file name is MONOMON.MOD (I think), so if someone were willing to
   repost it here there are some disgruntalled MONO owners that would
   appreciate it.

   This is file is a must for anyone that has more than half an inch of black
   showing arround the edge of there monitor.
--
Eric Bowen      						CIS: 71570,1244
ebowen@ub.d.umn.edu	  "All the way, Ma-am   Airborne!" 	Genie: E.BOWEN

bro@eunomia.rice.edu (Douglas Monk) (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan29.110121.10806@actrix.gen.nz> Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz writes:
>Well if the Monitors that I have touched had that sort of voltage I
>should have been dead many times, The Voltage in a Monitor is not that
>Dangerous,[...]

NO! NO! NO! The chassis of any monitor can conduct high-voltage and/or
high amperage signals through you and KILL! Your continued survival
is no reason to urge others to potentially dangerous actions.

NEVER work on a monitor when it is plugged in unless you REALLY know
what you are doing. Even unplugged monitors may carry dangerous
charges in capacitors for quite some time as well.

Be careful out there.

Doug Monk (bro@rice.edu)

Disclaimer: These views are mine, not necessarily my organization's.

kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan29.110121.10806@actrix.gen.nz> Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz writes:
><6985@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au> <232@rosie.NeXT.COM>
>Comment-To: sstreep@next.com
>
>Well if the Monitors that I have touched had that sort of voltage I
>should have been dead many times, The Voltage in a Monitor is not that
>Dangerous, it only supplies about 500ua, and the Votage in a Colour
>monitors is about 25KV, and about 12KV in a Mono Monitor, the safe bet
>it to allways put one hand in your pocket, the High Votage in the
>monitors, is fully insulated, so there no real problem...
When dealing with high voltage equipment the potential for shock IS REAL.

But there are some very high voltage capacitors that store a whole hell of
a lot of charge.  Enough so to knock you flat on your arse.  Before you
stick you hand in a monitor ground those caps to bleed off that charge.
This is assuming you are working on an unpluged monitor.

If it is not unpluged then don't open it up unless you know what the hell
you are doing.

>--
>Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...

--
/*  -The opinions expressed are my own, not my employers.    */
/*      For I can only express my own opinions.              */

entropy@ai.mit.edu (entropy) (01/31/91)

In article <1991Jan29.233400.28092@rice.edu> bro@eunomia.rice.edu (Douglas Monk) writes:
   NEVER work on a monitor when it is plugged in unless you REALLY know
   what you are doing. Even unplugged monitors may carry dangerous
   charges in capacitors for quite some time as well.

A TV or monitor can retain a lethal charge for more than 2 years after
it is unplugged (especially older TV models).  There are ways of
safely discharging caps and tubes, refer to a TV repair manual for
more information.

entropy

Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (01/31/91)

<1991Jan29.110121.10806@actrix.gen.nz> <1991Jan29.233400.28092@rice.edu>
Comment-To: bro@eunomia.rice.edu

(Douglas Monk) writes:
> In article <1991Jan29.110121.10806@actrix.gen.nz>
Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz writes:
> >Well if the Monitors that I have touched had that sort of voltage I
> >should have been dead many times, The Voltage in a Monitor is not
that
> >Dangerous,[...]
>
> NO! NO! NO! The chassis of any monitor can conduct high-voltage and/or
> high amperage signals through you and KILL! Your continued survival
> is no reason to urge others to potentially dangerous actions.
>
> NEVER work on a monitor when it is plugged in unless you REALLY know
> what you are doing. Even unplugged monitors may carry dangerous
> charges in capacitors for quite some time as well.
>
> Be careful out there.
>
> Doug Monk (bro@rice.edu)
>
> Disclaimer: These views are mine, not necessarily my organization's.

The Chassis of Atari Monitors are Earthed so there is no Real Problems
you are talking about TV's that have live chassis, this I will agree
that they can be dangerous, you must use a Isolating Transformer to work
on these, Well I am a Eng. and have worked on many a Monitor and a lot
of HV Equipment, I would not state something that is Dangerous, as long
as you use a LONG insulated Trimmer (Plastic Knitting Needle Filed to a
Screw Driver) will work, but must be 10" long.
Well I have been Zaped many times, gee I even glow in the dark !..

--
Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...

jvt@its.bt.co.uk (John Trickey) (01/31/91)

In article <1991Jan29.110121.10806@actrix.gen.nz> Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz writes:
>Well if the Monitors that I have touched had that sort of voltage I
>should have been dead many times, The Voltage in a Monitor is not that
>Dangerous, it only supplies about 500ua, and the Votage in a Colour
>monitors is about 25KV, and about 12KV in a Mono Monitor, the safe bet
>it to allways put one hand in your pocket, the High Votage in the
>monitors, is fully insulated, so there no real problem...

There is a saying "Its the volts that jolts but the mils that kills".

Don't trash safety advice.  That saying only holds true for a normal
healthy adult. High voltage working is not for the uninitated who
may not understand the risks.

My advice is simple:
if you do not know where the risks are either do not touch or
enlist the help of someone who does.  Don't get him to do it though
as you will not learn for the next time.

John.
--
John Trickey <jvt@its.bt.co.uk> || ..!mcsun!ukc!axion!its
              G4REV @ GB7SUT      Voice: +44 21 333 3369

A.French@newcastle.ac.uk (A. French) (02/01/91)

>[stuff deleted]
>But there are some very high voltage capacitors that store a whole hell of
>a lot of charge.  Enough so to knock you flat on your arse.  Before you
>stick you hand in a monitor ground those caps to bleed off that charge.

Do this with a resistor of suitable dimensions, NOT a screwdriver!! This will
take a chunk out of the screwdriver, not to mention what will happen to you or
the capacitor...
= A.French@newcastle.ac.uk           | Disclaimer: It wasn't me               =
= Andy, The World Famous Poet        |                                        =

jvt@its.bt.co.uk (John Trickey) (02/01/91)

In article <1991Jan29.233400.28092@rice.edu> bro@eunomia.rice.edu (Douglas Monk) writes:
>   NEVER work on a monitor when it is plugged in unless you REALLY know
>   what you are doing. Even unplugged monitors may carry dangerous
>   charges in capacitors for quite some time as well.

This is TRUE and a safe practise is always to discharge large value caps
before working on equipment no matter how long it has been since the
equipment has been switched on.  Remember: Tubes have capacitance.

In article <ENTROPY.91Jan30184418@pogo.ai.mit.edu> entropy@ai.mit.edu (entropy) writes:
>A TV or monitor can retain a lethal charge for more than 2 years after
>it is unplugged (especially older TV models).  There are ways of
>safely discharging caps and tubes, refer to a TV repair manual for
>more information.

Long - yes, That long - **no way**. As above I always advise caution
but scare mongering based on half fact helps nobody.  Lets keep this
advice to sensible levels, after all working on HV equipment is
quite safe as long as proper procedures are applied.  The objective
must be to help people to learn, not to unnecessarily scare them off
ever opening the cover.

John
--

Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (02/02/91)

<ebER02D8046P01@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com>
<1991Jan31.191231.4324@newcastle.ac.uk>
Comment-To: A.French@newcastle.ac.uk

=======
> = A.French@newcastle.ac.uk           | Disclaimer: It wasn't me
       =
> = Andy, The World Famous Poet        |
       =

=======

The SM 124 Monitor uses a Power Transformer for insulation, Note : the
Output Voltage is 11.8 Volts, I don't think that this will Kill any one
I have worked on a Few of these monitors, Some of you are getting facts
wrong about these monitors, They don't use Switched Mode PSU, so they
don't have the High votage that these PSU have, The EHT is 10.5 KV, and
this is Fully Insulated...I don't see what is the Problem ???

--
Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...

jvt@its.bt.co.uk (John Trickey) (02/05/91)

In article <1991Feb2.143519.13305@actrix.gen.nz> Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz writes:

>The SM 124 Monitor uses a Power Transformer for insulation, Note : the
>Output Voltage is 11.8 Volts, I don't think that this will Kill any one
>I have worked on a Few of these monitors, Some of you are getting facts
>wrong about these monitors, They don't use Switched Mode PSU, so they
>don't have the High votage that these PSU have, The EHT is 10.5 KV, and

I think you miss the point.  The topic has covered saftey when working
on HV equipment.  The design may be safer than most but that should
not be a reason for dropping your guard.  One fault in the insulation
and .... ZAP.

>this is Fully Insulated...I don't see what is the Problem ???

may we use this on your epitaph?

John