[comp.sys.atari.st] MEGAFILE 30 upgrade,any experience ?

wernerc@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Werner) (02/06/91)

Has anybody ever changed the drive of MEGAFILE30?
I want to do so (&replace it by a 60 or 85 M drive) cause
30 M are not enought.
- What must I look out for?
- I it possible simply to add another drive to the ACSI-Controller ?
- What driver are ok ?

Every comment is welcome!

		Thanx SAS

wernerc@tuminfo4.tu-muenchen.de

csbrod@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod ) (02/06/91)

wernerc@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Werner) writes:

>Has anybody ever changed the drive of MEGAFILE30?
>I want to do so (&replace it by a 60 or 85 M drive) cause
>30 M are not enought.
>- What must I look out for?

Be sure to buy a RLL certified drive. Choose a 3.5" drive (5.25"
drives - as a rule of thumb - cause more noise as well as heat,
and they eat up more power). The drive must have a ST506 interface
recognizable by the two connectors needed for it (34 pins and 20 pins).

>- I it possible simply to add another drive to the ACSI-Controller ?

Relatively simple. You'll have to make two modifications on the
MF30 motherboard. The most severe problem is the power supply.

>- What driver are ok ?

AHDI won't see the second drive. The Supra driver will, as I have
been told, as well as my own driver, CBHD.

Claus Brod, Am Felsenkeller 2,			Things. Take. Time.
D-8772 Marktheidenfeld, West Germany		(Piet Hein)
csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de