[comp.sys.atari.st] Sozobon C and dstart.o <==> Ram Disk

swood@terminator.cc.umich.edu (Scott Wood) (02/05/91)

I have just gotten my Sozobon C set-up going, and I am having a lot of fun
with it.  I thank all of you for the help and suggestions with getting it
going.  However, I was noting that with my single drive set-up, the thing
works very slow, so instead of adding my libraries to the ram disk, I am
trying to get my bin directory to work from there.  I noted there-after, that
the cc program was unable to find the dstart.o file that is usually in the
sozobon/lib directory.
	For a background to what I have set up, I am using gulam as a cli, and
I am using a file called sozo.g to copy the sozobon bin directory and the
sozobon lib directory into the corresponding directories in my RamDisk
(H:) that I set up with rambuffer.acc.  I then set paths to h:\sozobon\bin,h:\,
a:\,. and do my work from the a: drive.  the ue works fine for my editing, and
then cc main.c gives me the error that it can find the dstart.o file.  I
tried cc -IH:\sozobon\lib but that returns the same result.
	I have discovered that if I move to the H: drive, and compile the
file in the a:\drive from there, it does work (cc a:\main.c) but it is a
bit annoying, and I would hope that it may not be necessary to do this.

thanks in advance for the help...

swood

johns@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Conan the Barbarian) (02/06/91)

In article <1991Feb4.183344.12478@terminator.cc.umich.edu> swood@terminator.cc.umich.edu (Scott Wood) writes:
>[wants to put his sozobon library files on ramdisk]

	I think what you have to do is in your sozo.g file, put in a line
like this

setenv LIB H:\

if the files are in the root directory on drive H: or list the directory
the files are in.

	By the way, this stuff is written up in the documentation.  I
recommend you do what I did:  print the manual, maybe with a DTP program
like TimeWorks, and staple it together.  It impresses people what you
show them the manual, and then say, "It's public domain."

	Have fun.

--
John Schmitt
johns@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca

jvt@its.bt.co.uk (John Trickey) (02/06/91)

In article <1991Feb4.183344.12478@terminator.cc.umich.edu> swood@terminator.cc.umich.edu (Scott Wood) writes:
>	For a background to what I have set up, I am using gulam as a cli, and
>I am using a file called sozo.g to copy the sozobon bin directory and the
>sozobon lib directory into the corresponding directories in my RamDisk
>(H:) that I set up with rambuffer.acc.  I then set paths to h:\sozobon\bin,h:\,
>a:\,. and do my work from the a: drive.  the ue works fine for my editing, and
>then cc main.c gives me the error that it can find the dstart.o file.  I
>tried cc -IH:\sozobon\lib but that returns the same result.

What you need is two more environment variables.

	LIB=H:\sozobon\lib
	INCLUDE=H:\sozobon\include

or whatever your paths may be.

The -I flag tells cc where to find the *.h files.

It looks like you are using a single drive system.  Before I got a hard
disk I was in the same situation.  What I did was to keep the binaries
libs, etc on A: and copy the source to my RAM Disk.  It worked quite
well and certainly should reduce the amount of copying needed.

John

--
John Trickey <jvt@its.bt.co.uk> || ..!mcsun!ukc!axion!its
              G4REV @ GB7SUT      Voice: +44 21 333 3369