[comp.sys.atari.st] Harddrive problems

med@druhi.ATT.COM (DrapalME) (11/09/87)

	Well, I'm at an impasse with this silly drive, and am asking for
	any help...  What I have:

		1) A working 20Mb Supra drive with an internal Rodime SCSI
		   drive.
		2) A bare 20Mb drive that I hope to soon have working as
		   a secondary drive.
		3) An ADAPTEC 4070 SCSI to RLL controller.

	What I've tried:

		1) I have replaced the 50-conductor internal SCSI cable in
		   the Supra drive with a cable similar but with yet another
		   50-pin SCSI connector which attached to the ADAPTEC 4070.
		2) 20-pin and 34-pin cables between the ADAPTEC 4070 and the
		   new drive.
		3) The Adaptec 4070 has been selected as SCSI ID #1.

	The symptoms:

		1) When the SCSI cable to the ADAPTEC controller is
		   disconnected, the Supra drive works fine.
		2) When the SCSI cable to the ADAPTEC controller is connected,
		   the BUSY light on the Supra remains lit, and the Supra will
		   not spin up or function at all.  The second drive will not
		   spin up or function either.

	I recently saw an article in the ASTUN newsletter that was written
	by someone at Supra, regarding attaching additional drives to their
	controllers.  Unfortunately, I can't seem to lay my hands on that
	now.

	Any suggestions or hints would be greatly appreciated.

						Myron Drapal
						AT&T
						Denver, Co.
						..!ihnp4!drutx!druhi!med

w-darekm@microsoft.UUCP (Darek Mihocka) (11/10/89)

In article <480034@hpdml93.HP.COM> rona@hpdml93.HP.COM (Ron Abramson) writes:

>Quite some time ago, Allan Pratt posted the following:
>
>Here's how to remove problem accessories and AUTO folder programs:
>
>Turn off your ST, plug your hard disk in, and turn the hard disk on.
>Put the disk called BOOT DISK in Drive A:.  Now turn on your ST, and
>when the Drive A: light comes on, press and hold the "Alternate" key.

An even easier method is to use a program like Desk Manager or Superboot
which allows you to select your desk accessories and AUTO programs. Just
make sure that Desk Manager is the very first file in the AUTO folder
and that way it will always load before the crashing TSR or accessory. Then
you just nuke it after the first time it bombs.

Another way to do it, if you're a masochist, is to stick a command line
interpreter in the AUTO folder so you can rename the files manually.

- Darek

Darek Mihocka                   ST Xformer II                  CIS: 73657,2714
Box 2624, Station B            Quick Utilities                   GEnie: DAREKM
Kitchener, Ontario          MegaBlit   SSG   SPX                DELPHI: DAREKM
N2H 6N2                   Shareware, not Vaporware                 BIX: darekm
Canada       Amiga 3000 has a 68030!              CheapNet: microsoft!w-darekm
(519)-747-0386     A mind is a terrible thing to waste, so JUST SAY NO TO TOS.
Opinions expressed are my own and not those of anyone not named Darek Mihocka.

bluneski@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Bob Luneski) (03/13/90)

In <1814@loria.crin.fr> domen@cartan.crin.fr (Eric Domenjoud) writes:

>My questions are then:

>1) Did anybody already experience this problem?

    Yes, first when using TurboDos from Atari France along with Universal
Item Selector II and then just when using Universal Item Selector II. I have
had no problems since I stopped using Universal Item Selector II.

>2) Are the data clusters 0 and 1 marked as free ($0000) on the ATARI disks?

    Clusters 0 and 1 are either marked as 0x0000 or 0xFFF7 depending on your
controller and are not available for data. They are not used because they
don't really exist on the disk. Their presence is a holdover from the orignal
development of the FAT system on DOS machines.

>3) Is it posible that a poorly behaved program allocates these two non
   existing data clusters, thinking that they are free?

Not unless they bypass the OS and program the HDC and DMA to read and write
physical sectors. If they do this and screw it up, then you can have problems.

  Bob Luneski
  Diamond Back Support Hotline:  bluneski@pogo.WV.TEK.COM
                                 Genie: B.LUNESKI1

  The opinions expressed herein are my own and in no way reflect the
  opinions of Tektronix, Inc.

oddjob@oz.plymouth.edu (Andrew C. Stoffel) (02/06/91)

[this a a reposted repost - we just went Internet and have been having
News problems]

My hard disk had a nasty shock last week during a rather heavy bout
with static electricity. It recovered after I turned it off and back
on but now it seems to be flaky. While running minix it made some
funny noises and seemed to slow down. I had to reboot (but I haven't
tried to shut it off and back on yet.....).

(I wrote the above a couple days ago... but we were having News
problems so it didn't appear to get posted to the outside world. My
sincerest apologees to anyone who might have seen it before.... My
hard drive has since continued to behave in such an erratic manner as
described above except I don't have to reboot , just have to wait for
it to start behaving itself again. But it isn't consistent. (My
current theory is that how it behaves depends on the quality of power
getting to the hard drive ..... could nbe wrong but it sounds good :-))

I had planned to do some serious hacking with Minix this semester (to
teach myself enough to write an application in C that I want to be
portable between Minix, Un*x, MiNT and TOS/GEM (TOS/GEM being last
since I've got what is quickly becoming an antique [even for an ST], a
1040STf with TOS 1.0 (6 chip ROMs, empty board space for a blitter,
etc) and by the time I get this program done I'll be able to afford a
TT ...)). But I haven't gone near Minix since the first drive problems
since it had problems with that since Minix almost continually
accesses the harddrive and if it's not there..... **BOOM**
(* Can you tell I've got a degree in English lit. from the rather
convoluted paragraph above... %-> ??*)

Does anybody know of a utility program that could check the controller
on my harddrive to see if it is ok ??? It's a 30 meg Supra harddrive,
approximately 3 years old (one of the ones with the bad clock chip and
a SCSI port (How do I test something like that ?? ARGH!!!!!!). I
really can't afford to have it die, but if it does I'd like to know
why and what I should replace (if I can.... )

-Andy-

Send all complaints about the wordiness of this article to the Grammar
Police. They know me :-) well......

--
|"The Snark WAS a Boojum, you see!"|Good   : acs@unhd.unh.edu       |
|"Reality !?! Isn't that something |Better : ANDYS@psc.plymouth.edu |