[comp.sys.atari.st] NEOchrome

neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) (02/05/91)

What is the current copyright status of NEOchrome? Is it Public Domain or what?
My ST came with version 0.5 free on the language disk. I believe that
version 1.00 was on sale in the UK some years ago (for ~15 pounds).
Now I see it advertised by Public Domain libraries.

If it is Public Domain, can it be packaged as a 'Free Public Domain Disk'
with a commercial program?

Not only that but I have see a completely decompiled/disassembled and reworked
version of NEOchrome that contains many, MANY, new features. What is the
legality of doing this with the original program and how does it affect its
distribution?

! DISCLAIMER:Unless otherwise stated, the above comments are entirely my own !
!                                                                            !
! Neil Forsyth                      JANET:  neil@uk.ac.hw.cs                 !
! Dept. of Computer Science         ARPA:   neil@cs.hw.ac.uk                 !
! Heriot-Watt University            UUCP:   ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!neil          !
! Edinburgh, Scotland, UK           "That was never 5 minutes!"              !

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (02/06/91)

In article <2089@odin.cs.hw.ac.uk> neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) writes:

>What is the current copyright status of NEOchrome? Is it Public Domain or what?
>My ST came with version 0.5 free on the language disk. I believe that
>version 1.00 was on sale in the UK some years ago (for ~15 pounds).
>Now I see it advertised by Public Domain libraries.

Up until 0.9 NEOchrome was a freebie with the ST.  Ver. 1.0 was
commercial, and Atari stopped bundling it.  That was a long time ago,
and I don't know the current status.

Technically I suppose that giving a bundled copy of ST software to
someone who bought a later ST without it (including NEOchrome, 1st Word,
etc.) is illegal, although a lot of that goes on.  But a free copy of
NEOchrome 1.0 or later is definitely pirated.
--
William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577