[comp.sys.atari.st] Status of Sozobon C

djch@maths.bath.ac.uk (Dave Hutchinson) (01/28/91)

Could someone email me
1 what is the most up-to-date version of the sozobon C compiler and libraries

2 the name of any ftp archive site which has the current version.

Many thanks

David Hutchinson

tony@raid5.uucp (Tony Andrews) (01/29/91)

In article <1991Jan28.102546.5083@maths.bath.ac.uk> djch@maths.bath.ac.uk () writes:
>Could someone email me
>1 what is the most up-to-date version of the sozobon C compiler and libraries
>
>2 the name of any ftp archive site which has the current version.
>
>Many thanks
>
>David Hutchinson

Here's a note from Hans in response to an earlier query...

> Sozobon Questions:
>
> 	Is Sozobon still under development?

		Yes, very slowly.
> 	Has it been ported to Minix, PC or the Amiga yet?

		It has been ported to Minix, and the result offered to
Andy Tannenbaum, but he wasnt interested.  It really needs someone to do
a lot of support (not us!).
	There are several unofficial ports to the amiga.  The problem here
is that Commodore insists on restricting the header files.  Without the
header files the compiler is useless.  We are not going to waste our time
unless their attitude changes.
	The PC is a bitch.  2 people have started ports and given up.
> 	Just what is it's current status?
		Works well under a TOS shell.  Does not work under MINT.
	Comes with cc,hcc,jas,ld,make,ar,size,assembly level debugger,
	libc, gem library, new floating library, stevie.
	You probably will want to pick up a shell like Gulam to use with it.
	(Dont use shells that upcase args).
	Does not come with extensive documentation, support, etc.

	You can always get the latest full TOS release by sending
	$10 ($12 from overseas) made out to 'Tony Andrews' to

		Tony Andrews
		4704 Berkshire Court
		Boulder, Colorado  80301
		USA

	However, do not send us questions without also sending a STAMPED
	self-addressed envelope (if you want an answer).
> 	Are the Sozobon lads still working on it.
	Johann is working on adding long external names and making it
	work on UNIX hosts (including those with the 'wrong' byte order).
> 	Any chance of the ANSI standard becoming a reality?
	What is the purpose of ANSI besides making it possible for a
	perfectly good program to generate infinite useless error messages?
	Who is volunteering to produce an ANSI libc?
> 	Is there a new version of Dales dLibs beyond 1.2?
	We havent seen one.  Dale?

> Questions, questions!
>
> The source for 'jas' does not produce a working program (it produces object
> files with only a header). As a result I can't fix the bugs.
Top 1.2 was released with a bug which made it produce a bad 'jas'.  A fix
was posted later.  If you need the latest fixed release, see above.
Unfortunately, most bulletin boards and archive sites have NOT put in the
fixes.

	Johann Ruegg
	Sozobon Ltd.

--
Tony Andrews				uunet!dunike!onecom!raid5!tony
Array Technology Corp.

piet@cs.ruu.nl (Piet van Oostrum) (02/06/91)

TA> In article <1991Jan28.102546.5083@maths.bath.ac.uk> djch@maths.bath.ac.uk () writes:
>Could someone email me
>1 what is the most up-to-date version of the sozobon C compiler and libraries
>
>2 the name of any ftp archive site which has the current version.
>

> The source for 'jas' does not produce a working program (it produces object
> files with only a header). As a result I can't fix the bugs.
TA> Top 1.2 was released with a bug which made it produce a bad 'jas'.  A fix
TA> was posted later.  If you need the latest fixed release, see above.
TA> Unfortunately, most bulletin boards and archive sites have NOT put in the
TA> fixes.

I have put a fixed version in our archive. It has all fixes that I have
seen on the net + I fixed the assembler for the stop instruction (I don't
think that many people use this). The compiler is now able to compile
itself with -O.

I also made a small change to make to have it override macro values by
command line arguments of the form MACRO=value.

The package contains binaries, sources of the compiler and tools, h files
and binaries of dlibs, and gemfast. The sources of dlibs and gemfast
libraries are not includes, as they are somewhere else in the archive. Also
the libraries don't have the latest patches, but once you have the compiler
that isn't hard to do.

How to get sozobon.zoo from the archive at
	Dept. of Computer Science, Utrecht University:

NOTE: In the following I have assumed your mail address is john@highbrow.edu.

    Of course you must substitute your own address for this. This should be
    a valid internet or uucp address. For bitnet users name@host.BITNET
    usually works.

by FTP: (please restrict access to weekends or evening/night (i.e. between
about 20.00 and 0900 UTC).

    ftp archive.cs.ruu.nl [131.211.80.5]
    user name: anonymous or ftp
    password: your own email address (e.g. john@highbrow.edu)
    cd /pub
    don't forget to set binary mode if the file is a tar/arc/zoo archive,
    compressed or in any other way contains binary data.
    get ATARI-ST/lang/sozobon.zoo

by mail-server:

send the following message to
mail-server@cs.ruu.nl (or uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ruuinf!mail-server):

    begin
    path john@highbrow.edu (PLEASE SUBSTITUTE *YOUR* ADDRESS)
    send ATARI-ST/lang/sozobon.zoo
    end

NOTE: *** PLEASE USE VALID INTERNET ADDRESSES IF POSSIBLE. DO NOT USE
ADDRESSES WITH ! and @ MIXED !!!! BITNETTERS USE USER@HOST.BITNET ***

The path command can be deleted if we receive a valid from address in your
message. If this is the first time you use our mail server, we suggest you
first issue the request:
    send HELP
--
Piet* van Oostrum, Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University,
Padualaan 14, P.O. Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht, The Netherlands.