[comp.sys.atari.st] TOS 1.4 upgrade Problem

wschou@waikato.ac.nz (02/04/91)

I am tried to get a TOS 1.4 ROM upgrade for my 1040STF with TOS 1.0 but
was told my board revision would not accomodate it.
I opened my ST up to check this out and found 6 socketed ROM chips with
C070523-001 REV. C printed on the board.

I have heard there are 4-chip and 6-chip upgrades available and it could
be the dealer it was sent to did not know about the 6-chip set.

Has anybody else had similar problems or should I go ahead and buy the
6-chip set (from somewhere?) and install it myself (you only need to
replace the ROM chips don't you?)

Thanks for any advice
Wayne Schou
wschou@waikato.ac.nz

dlk0ms9s@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Mark Santora) (02/04/91)

In article <1991Feb4.095459.2883@waikato.ac.nz>, wschou@waikato.ac.nz writes:
> I am tried to get a TOS 1.4 ROM upgrade for my 1040STF with TOS 1.0 but
> was told my board revision would not accomodate it.
> I opened my ST up to check this out and found 6 socketed ROM chips with
> C070523-001 REV. C printed on the board.
>
> I have heard there are 4-chip and 6-chip upgrades available and it could
> be the dealer it was sent to did not know about the 6-chip set.
>
> Has anybody else had similar problems or should I go ahead and buy the
> 6-chip set (from somewhere?) and install it myself (you only need to
> replace the ROM chips don't you?)
>
> Thanks for any advice
> Wayne Schou
> wschou@waikato.ac.nz

  There are two sets of chips available of TOS 1.4.  There is a 2 chip for the
original MEGAS and a few 1040's and a 6 chip set for everything else.  There
is no reason why you can't use the 6 chip set.  Were you going to have him
install it or were you going to?  He might have not wanted to sell you a set
if he wasn't going to make any profit off it...

 Mark Santora
 DLK0MS9S@UMAIMI.edu

oscar@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Oscar DeMartino) (02/07/91)

I just got an OS upgrade to 1.4.  I used to have 1.0.
The problem is that I can't get my machine to boot from
my harddisk.  Several of the things that have occurred
and which I have tried are: (I have a homebrewed harddisk.
It has an ICD host card and I have the latest ICD distribution
disk.)
	1) I have tried booting normally and get two bombs.
	2) I have booted while holding the alt key down (This
		is suppose to override the booting from harddisk)
	3) I have booted with the harddisk disconnected then
		reconnected it and could not access it.

I think if I can get to my harddisk I could eliminate all the
auto loading programs and then things would be fine.

Also if there are known accessories which do not work under 1.4,
or are programs which are no longer of assistance (ie. pinhed,
fatspeed, ...)

Thanks in advance for any assistance

--
Oscar "Fred" DeMartino - J.P.L. (818) 354-1295           J  PPP   L
4800 Oak Grove Drive, Pas, CA. 91109  MS: 301-320S       J  P  P  L