[comp.sys.atari.st] Memory Upgrade

bdenh@caen.engin.umich.edu (Brian J Denheyer) (03/24/89)

I'm looking for a memory upgrade for my 1040ST.  I've heard of the board from
terrific Corp.  What I want to know is : if you by a 2.5 meg upgrade can you add
just a 1/2 meg of memory at a time, instead of doling out the dollars for many ram
chips or do you have to have all 1 1/2 megs on there for the thing to work ?

Any answer to the question and info about memory upgrades in general
would be very much appreciated.

Brian Denheyer
bdenh@caen.engin.umich.edu

lharris@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Leonard Harris) (03/25/89)

In article <4232dd2d.178df@finch.engin.umich.edu> bdenh@caen.engin.umich.edu (Brian J Denheyer) writes:
>I'm looking for a memory upgrade for my 1040ST.  I've heard of the board from
>terrific Corp.  What I want to know is : if you by a 2.5 meg upgrade can you add
>just a 1/2 meg of memory at a time, instead of doling out the dollars for many ram
>chips or do you have to have all 1 1/2 megs on there for the thing to work ?
>
>Any answer to the question and info about memory upgrades in general
>would be very much appreciated.
>
>Brian Denheyer
>bdenh@caen.engin.umich.edu

Probably the best memory board for the atari is the one by Datafree
It is a 2.5/4 meg board that fits in 520's, 1040's and the 520stfm.
It is a 4 layer board so it will work in noisy environments (like 4 megs
on a 520stfm).  No other board works at 4 megs on ALL revisions of the ST.
The guys over at Supra Corp. use this board in their machines and are quite
pleasd.
Call Datafree Industries
(416) 741-9825.
/leonard

ESC@PORSCHE.SCRC.SYMBOLICS.COM (Eric S. Crawley) (03/27/89)

    Date: 23 Mar 89 17:36:00 GMT
    From: mailrus!caen.engin.umich.edu!bdenh@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu  (Brian J Denheyer)

    I'm looking for a memory upgrade for my 1040ST.  I've heard of the board from
    terrific Corp.  What I want to know is : if you by a 2.5 meg upgrade can you add
    just a 1/2 meg of memory at a time, instead of doling out the dollars for many ram
    chips or do you have to have all 1 1/2 megs on there for the thing to work ?

The ST can only address 2 banks of memory at once.  A 1040ST has 2 banks
of 512K each.  So, to upgrade to 2.5 meg throws out .5 meg on the mother
board and puts a second band of 2 meg on the expansion board.  So, you
have to go out and buy 2 meg of memory, not 1.5 meg.  I don't think it
is possible to add memory to the board in increments less than the whole
2 megs.  Similarly, if you want an upgrade to 4 meg, you throw out all
of your motherboard memory and have 2 banks of 2 meg on the expansion
board.  [The EZ RAM II board is only for a 2.5 meg upgrade, as far as I
know, but there are others that can work for 4 meg.]

Henry_Burdett_Messenger@cup.portal.com (03/29/89)

Re: "The ST can only address 2 banks"

I have it on good authority that this is not the case. The ST can address 8
banks of memory, and therefore one can migrate to 4 Mb using 256 Kbit DRAMs.
Unfortunately, none of the upgrade boards available take advantage of this.
There are a few people who will customize your ST to use more than two rows
of memory (1 row = n x 16 bits; 520 is 256k x 1 row, 1040 is 256k x 2 rows)

Rumor has it that Dave Beckenmeyer's ST's are hacked like this. Dave, care to
confirm or deny?

Standard disclaimer
henry_burdett_messenger@cup.portal.com
				- hbm

bam@rudedog.SGI.COM (Brian McClendon) (03/30/89)

In article <16363@cup.portal.com>, Henry_Burdett_Messenger@cup.portal.com writes:
> Re: "The ST can only address 2 banks"
>
> I have it on good authority that this is not the case. The ST can address 8
[ stuff deleted]
> henry_burdett_messenger@cup.portal.com
> 				- hbm

Well, I have looked at the schematics, and many more knowledgable than I have
also looked, and we all agree that the MMU found in machines prior to the
Mega's would ONLY support 2 banks of RAM.  I tried to do a 256Kbit 2Meg
upgrade, gave up, and assumed that in general it wasn't possible
(especially after someone at Atari said it couldn't be done).

After saying this, some HW hackers in Huntsville, AL produced a 4M
board using only 256K ZIP package RAM (ZIPs weren't required, but the
board they started with had them pre-soldered, so what the heck).

It requires registering some of the address lines using the bank select
as the latch and hoping the RAM is fast enough to still get the data
on the bus in time.  _It can be done_, I have seen it run, but I wouldn't
want to try it myself.

I have heard that the new MMU's support 4Mbit DRAMs so that 16Mbytes of
RAM is possible in only two banks.  Is this true?

--
			- brian

   Brian McClendon bam@rudedog.SGI.COM ...!uunet!sgi!rudedog!bam 415-335-1110

figue@noether.UUCP (Francisco Figueirido) (06/14/89)

Hi! This is my very first message.
I have a 1040ST with 1Meg of ram and want badly to increase its memory
(either to 2.5Meg or 4Meg). I need this memory to run GCC (the GNU C
compiler) and Minix. I have seen ads with reasonable priced 1Mbit chips,
so I figured this was a good time to do it. I will appreciate very much
any kind of information regarding ram upgrades, particularly tips and
pointers to the (best, most reliable) upgrades.
Please post it to the Net if you can since our machines sometimes have
trouble getting the mail. Thanks a lot!

Francisco Figueirido
figue@marconi.sbcs.edu
figueiri@sunysbnp.BITNET

selick@bucsf.bu.edu (Steven Selick) (11/07/90)

What have people found to be the best way to upgrade a 1040st to 4 meg?

-steve
selick@bucsf.bu.edu

wolf@fb14vax.sbsvax.uucp (Wolfgang Huwig) (11/10/90)

In article <67996@bu.edu.bu.edu> selick@bucsf.bu.edu (Steven Selick) writes:

>  What have people found to be the best way to upgrade a 1040st to 4 meg?

I'm also very interested in a comparison of the various memory upgrades.
Is it better to look for DRAMs, SIPs or SIMMs or whatever? Which method
is more reliable (soldered, pluged-in, ...)?
The number of ads in some magazines I read is more and more increasing -
and prices are sinking, will they become even cheaper in the (near) future?

As there's a discussion about ROM-based vs. disk-based TOS upgrades:
I would rather spend, say $250, to upgrade to 2.5 or 3 MB and then will
be able to use all the free TOS enhancements (loaded from hard disk) and
still have enough memory for applications than get a new ROM TOS, which
costs >$100 and nethertheless requires some more patches to be loaded from
disk.

Back to the original question: anyone any opinion/experience/advice about
RAM upgrades that he/she will pass to those poor 1M ST owners? :-)

Thank you in advance

Wolfgang

--------
Wolfgang Huwig      FB14 Informatik IV      Universitaet des Saarlandes
Internet address:   wolf@cs.uni-sb.de

psurge@cs.utexas.edu (Troy Carpenter) (01/17/91)

I have an Aerco board with 2 megs installed (upgradeable to 4).  Will let it
go for $175, send email to address below:

                                Troy Carpenter
                        Department of Computer Sciences
                        THE University of Texas, Austin
                              psurge@cs.utexas.edu

"You're so open minded that your brain leaked out" - Steve Taylor

*>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The best thing in life costs exactly that <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<*

psurge@cs.utexas.edu (Troy Carpenter) (02/08/91)

I have a 2 meg Aerco board for sale.  $175, I pay shipping anywhere in the U.S.
Send E-mail to the below address:

                                Troy Carpenter
                        Department of Computer Sciences
                        THE University of Texas, Austin
                              psurge@cs.utexas.edu

"Life unwinds like a cheap sweater but since I gave up hope I feel a lot better"
                                                                   -Steve Taylor