[comp.sys.atari.st] Directory compress routine ?

geoffc@zebedee.uucp (Geoffrey Coan) (01/28/91)

Does anyone have a program that will compress a TOS directory so that all
the directory entries for the files lie at the start of the directory ?
I know that the reorder option of Neodesk 3 does this but I would like a
program I can use from a CLI to do the same job (to cut down on having to
quit back to Neodesk).

AdvThanks,

Geoffrey
are you ready to SKYDIVE ??                                       Geoffrey Coan
well all right then, if you say so ...        ..!ukc!axion!tharr!zebedee!geoffc

<- UUCP'd from my ST via tharr; *free* UK public access to Usenet 0234 261804 ->

rosenkra@convex.com (William Rosencranz) (01/31/91)

In article <5050688@zebedee.uucp> zebedee.geoffc@tharr.uucp writes:
>Does anyone have a program that will compress a TOS directory so that all
>the directory entries for the files lie at the start of the directory ?
>I know that the reorder option of Neodesk 3 does this but I would like a
>program I can use from a CLI to do the same job (to cut down on having to
>quit back to Neodesk).

i am not exactly sure what u mean, but consider this:

	find mydir -type d -print >xxx
	find mydir -type f -print >>xxx
	zoo aI archive <xxx

i am not sure of the zoo options. this is known to work on unix. zoo,
nice program it is, allows u to read the list of files from stdin (can
lharc do this?). the first find program lists all directories starting
in mydir, the next one lists files. so you get a list which may look like:

	mydir			dir
	mydir/mgif		dir
	mydir/tmp		dir
	mydir/edit		dir
	mydir/mgif/Makefile	file
	mydir/mgif/README	.
	mydir/tmp/font-36x80	.
	mydir/tmp/font-8x9	.
	mydir/tmp/font-hack
	mydir/edit/elvis.zoo
	mydir/edit/emacs-readme.jrd
	mydir/edit/emacs39.lzh
	mydir/edit/emcs1855.0
	mydir/edit/emcs1855.1
	mydir/edit/emcs1855.2

is this what u mean? all the directories are first in the list. note that
i don't think that this can be put in a gulam script, because (at least
the version i have) does not handle redirection from inside a script. other
shells can do this, however.

i think there is an st find(1). i have my own (of course).

-bill
rosenkra@convex.com

--
Bill Rosenkranz            |UUCP: {uunet,texsun}!convex!c1yankee!rosenkra
Convex Computer Corp.      |ARPA: rosenkra%c1yankee@convex.com

klute@tommy.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) (01/31/91)

In article <1991Jan30.174525.29272@convex.com>, rosenkra@convex.com
(William Rosencranz) writes:
|> 	find mydir -type d -print >xxx
|> 	find mydir -type f -print >>xxx
|> 	zoo aI archive <xxx
|>
|> i am not sure of the zoo options. this is known to work on unix. zoo,
|> nice program it is, allows u to read the list of files from stdin (can
|> lharc do this?).

The Atari ST Zoo is even smarter than the Unix Zoo: You can type

	zoo a// archive mydir

to get 'mydir' with all files and subdirectories into 'archive.zoo'.

--
  Dipl.-Inform. Rainer Klute      klute@irb.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
  Univ. Dortmund, IRB             klute@unido.uucp, klute@unido.bitnet

ripley@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de (Hans-Ch. Eckert) (01/31/91)

In article <2981@laura.UUCP> klute@tommy.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) writes:

   The Atari ST Zoo is even smarter than the Unix Zoo: You can type

	   zoo a// archive mydir

   to get 'mydir' with all files and subdirectories into 'archive.zoo'.

Sure? I know there are -backup and -restore, but that one is new
to me.  Anyway, it would be great to make this a standard feature
of zoo.

Greetings,
				RIPLEY
--
Greetings from RIPLEY | D-1000 Berlin 30    | ripley@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de
Hans-Christian Eckert | Regensburger Str. 2 | (ripley@tubopal.UUCP)

bammi@acae127.cadence.com (Jwahar R. Bammi) (02/01/91)

In article <2981@laura.UUCP> klute@tommy.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) writes:

> In article <1991Jan30.174525.29272@convex.com>, rosenkra@convex.com
> (William Rosencranz) writes:
> |> 	find mydir -type d -print >xxx
> |> 	find mydir -type f -print >>xxx
> |> 	zoo aI archive <xxx
> |>
> The Atari ST Zoo is even smarter than the Unix Zoo: You can type
>
> 	zoo a// archive mydir
>
> to get 'mydir' with all files and subdirectories into 'archive.zoo'.

or in gulam you can use the recursive file name reg exp match ("...")

	zoo a archive mydir\...
to achive the same effect. Make sure you use a version of zoo that
recognizes either the atari or mwc long command line conventions and
in gulam 'set env_style mw'.

cheers,

--
bang:   uunet!cadence!bammi			jwahar r. bammi
domain: bammi@cadence.com

piet@cs.ruu.nl (Piet van Oostrum) (02/08/91)

RK> The Atari ST Zoo is even smarter than the Unix Zoo: You can type

RK> 	zoo a// archive mydir

RK> to get 'mydir' with all files and subdirectories into 'archive.zoo'.

I tried this last night and it did not work (zoo complained). Do you have a
newer version?
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet@cs.ruu.nl>

ljdickey@watmath.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) (02/08/91)

In article <5050688@zebedee.uucp> zebedee.geoffc@tharr.uucp writes:
>Does anyone have a program that will compress a TOS directory so that all
>the directory entries for the files lie at the start of the directory ?

There have been a couple of answers to this question already, but I
am not sure that they answered the question that was asked.  The way
I read the question, there is another easy answer:  Simply use the
desktop to drag the files to another directory, removed the files
from the first directory, and then drage the files back.