[comp.sys.atari.st] opinion about posted 'game'

davidli@simvax.labmed.umn.edu (02/07/91)

I would just like to take a moment to comment on an upload that someone
recently posted as being on atari.archive.umich.edu.  The file name is
SADDAM.LZH, and it is purported to be a 'game' where one shoots an undefinable
man riding on a camel.

I, personally, find such a concept disgusting.  It promotes a bigotted racial
stereotype of Arabs.  It's on the same level as video games such as the
infamous 'Custer's Last Stand', where the objective was to rape as many Indian
women as possible.

If someone wants to write a war game based on the current strength levels in
the Iraq/Saudi area, I wouldn't object.  War games have a long history, and the
'units' involved are more or less accurately portrayed.  Using games for the
personal villification of Arabs (or any nationality), on the other hand, is
just stupid.

--

David Paschall-Zimbel		davidli@simvax.labmed.umn.edu

weiner@terminator.cc.umich.edu (Jeff Weiner) (02/08/91)

In article <1991Feb7.123612.1@simvax.labmed.umn.edu> davidli@simvax.labmed.umn.edu writes:
>I would just like to take a moment to comment on an upload that someone
>recently posted as being on atari.archive.umich.edu.  The file name is
>SADDAM.LZH, and it is purported to be a 'game' where one shoots an undefinable
>man riding on a camel.
>
>I, personally, find such a concept disgusting.  It promotes a bigotted racial
>stereotype of Arabs.  It's on the same level as video games such as the
>infamous 'Custer's Last Stand', where the objective was to rape as many Indian
>women as possible.
>
>If someone wants to write a war game based on the current strength levels in
>the Iraq/Saudi area, I wouldn't object.  War games have a long history, and the
>'units' involved are more or less accurately portrayed.  Using games for the
>personal villification of Arabs (or any nationality), on the other hand, is
>just stupid.

I'd like to state the 'unofficial' (read my) opinion of the whole thing,
before it gets out of hand.  The file saddam.lzh was uploaded by a trusted
uploader who wanted to make this file available to anyone who would
be interested in it. I don't feel it is appropriate for the moderators
of an archive to state their political positions under these circumstance,
so I won't bother.

I'm sure each of us has our own opinions concerning the situation, but
this is not the place for such discussion.  The file is provided
as a service to those who want it, and is not intended to degrade
any person's heritage, or promote said racial bigottry.

I respect your opinion David, and encourage others to voice theirs in the
appropriate arenas.  However, the file will stay in the archive.
I would view anything else as blatent censorship, and I will have no part
of that whatsoever.

If anyone else has concerns about this file, please voice them directly to me
weiner@terminator.cc.umich.edu or jeff_weiner@ub.cc.umich.edu.

>--
>
>David Paschall-Zimbel		davidli@simvax.labmed.umn.edu

weiner
--
Jeff Weiner	weiner@terminator.cc.umich.edu	Jeff_Weiner@ub.cc.umich.edu
"Out of  the way lady! RUN! Run for safety, foolish pedestrians!" -Sam and Max

jfbruno@rodan.acs.syr.edu (John Bruno) (02/08/91)

In article <1991Feb7.123612.1@simvax.labmed.umn.edu> davidli@simvax.labmed.umn.edu writes:
 >[blablabla]
 >I, personally, find such a concept disgusting.  It promotes a bigotted racial
 >[blablabla]
 >
 >David Paschall-Zimbel		davidli@simvax.labmed.umn.edu

So DON'T DOWNLOAD the thing.  Why don't you go burn a book or something.

---jb

carlos@garfield.cs.mun.ca (Carlos Borges) (02/09/91)

davidli@simvax.labmed.umn.edu writes:
>I would just like to take a moment to comment on an upload that someone
>recently posted as being on atari.archive.umich.edu.  The file name is
>SADDAM.LZH, and it is purported to be a 'game' where one shoots an undefinable
>man riding on a camel.

>I, personally, find such a concept disgusting.  It promotes a bigotted racial
>stereotype of Arabs.  It's on the same level as video games such as the
>infamous 'Custer's Last Stand', where the objective was to rape as many Indian
>women as possible.

I agree that this is a stupid reason for a game, but there are people who
_will_ play & enjoy it.

If you don't like the game, don't download it... nice and simple, huh?
--
C. Miguel Borges         |"Cyberspace. A consensual hallucination...     |||
carlos@garfield.cs.mun.ca|Unthinkable complexity. Lines of light ranged  |||

bobw@hpsad.HP.COM (Bob Waltenspiel) (02/10/91)

David Paschall-Zimbel writes:
>>I, personally, find such a concept disgusting.  It promotes a bigotted
>>racial stereotype of Arabs.  It's on the same level as video games
>>such as the infamous 'Custer's Last Stand', where the objective was to
>>rape as many Indian women as possible.

Although I agree with David that this 'game' file is objectionable
because it promotes racial bigotry, I don't think he is advocating
censoring the file.  It appears to me that he's trying point out how
such a file can be offensive to some people in much the same manner as
the 'Custer's Last Stand' file is.

Glorifying violence against an 'undefinable man riding a camel' can be
seen by some as lumping all Arabs into a group that should be shot at.
Some people in the USA are acting this way, as can be shown by the
violence being perpetrating against non-Iragi Arabs during this very
stressful time.  And yet, Americans are losing their lives in an
effort to save the lives of Arabs from Saudi Arabia and Kuwait.
That's the only reason can I see why we're fighting.  By promoting and
distributing such a 'game', race hatred might continue.  This is what
David is objecting to.  Thanks for being sensitive, David.

I hope that most people will realize this and ignore the file.

Jeff Weiner writes:
>I respect your opinion David, and encourage others to voice theirs in the
>appropriate arenas.  However, the file will stay in the archive.
>I would view anything else as blatent censorship, and I will have no part
>of that whatsoever.

I appreciate this, Jeff, as your position is to allow access to all
Atari software, not to choose what to limit.  The person doing the
uploading can censor what they upload, just as a book publisher can
censor what it publishes.  We do it now because what is available on
the archive now is far less than the total available Atari software.

Jeff, is there a limit to the amount of space available for the Atari
archive?  It seems that at sometime we will have to choose what is
stored there.  Will we have to someday 'censor' what is kept at the
archive in the name of 'disk space'?

-Bob

P.S. Yes, I know, there are appropriate groups for political
discussions, and this isn't one of them.

 ----------------------------------- -----------------------------------------
| Bob Waltenspiel                   | AT&T: (707) 794-3091 (Telnet: 794-3091) |
| ATE Software Team                 | e-mail: bobw@hpsad.HP.COM               |
| HP Signal Analysis Division       | HPDesk: Bob WALTENSPIEL/HP5300/A0       |
| 1212 Valley House Dr.             | HP Mailstop: 1UR-M                      |
| Rohnert Park, CA 94928-4999       | GEnie: B.WALTENSPIE                     |
 ----------------------------------- -----------------------------------------
        "Maybe this is heaven." -Ray in the film _Field of Dreams_

davidli@simvax.labmed.umn.edu (02/11/91)

In article <1991Feb8.014040.2663@terminator.cc.umich.edu>, weiner@terminator.cc.umich.edu (Jeff Weiner) writes:
>>I, personally, find such a concept disgusting.
>
> I respect your opinion David, and encourage others to voice theirs in the
> appropriate arenas.  However, the file will stay in the archive.
> I would view anything else as blatent censorship, and I will have no part
> of that whatsoever.

Perhaps it would be best if people actually look at what I wrote, rather than
what they want to read into the message.  Nowhere did I state (or suggest) that
the file in question be REMOVED from the archive.

I do feel, however, that even computer games deserve some forms of comment.
One does not turn off one's moral and ethical standards while sitting at the
computer.  I doubt that many people reading messages in this forum would have
even THOUGHT about the stereotyping involved in games such as the file in
question.

From the responses so far, I guess any condemnation of a computer game concept
is equivalent to calling for the burning of books or the establishment of
churches.  I find it disturbing that people are unwilling to face the possible
racism (or sexism) in a computer program.

--

David Paschall-Zimbel		davidli@simvax.labmed.umn.edu