[comp.sys.atari.st] VCTRDEMO.PRG problem

thaanuj@prism.CS.ORST.EDU (John Thaanum) (02/11/91)

The other day somebody posted about the availability of VCTRDEMO.PRG at
atari.archive (ekrimen perhaps?).  I thought I'd give it a peek, but it
doesn't seem to work correctly in either low or med resolution.  It seems
to be out of synch with the tv (Yes, I use a tv for color-only stuff and
a SM 124 for everything else).  It displays several shots of the demo, all
flickering and jumping around the screen too much to really see anything.

Anybody else seen this?  Advice?
(un?)relevant info: ancient 520ST, TOS 1.0, Internal RF modulator.
Thanks for any help.

John Thaanum		thaanuj@prism.cs.orst.edu

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (02/11/91)

thaanuj@prism.CS.ORST.EDU (John Thaanum) writes:

- The other day somebody posted about the availability of VCTRDEMO.PRG at
- atari.archive (ekrimen perhaps?).  I thought I'd give it a peek, but it
- doesn't seem to work correctly in either low or med resolution.  It seems
- to be out of synch with the tv (Yes, I use a tv for color-only stuff and
- a SM 124 for everything else).  It displays several shots of the demo, all
- flickering and jumping around the screen too much to really see anything.

- Anybody else seen this?  Advice?
- (un?)relevant info: ancient 520ST, TOS 1.0, Internal RF modulator.
- Thanks for any help.

Don't load any memory resident programs or desk accessories.  The
demo should also be run in low res.  It looks strange in med.  If
you have an ICD hard drive, disable the booter.

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

entropy@ai.mit.edu (entropy) (02/11/91)

In article <1991Feb11.053755.19095@ecst.csuchico.edu> ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) writes:
   thaanuj@prism.CS.ORST.EDU (John Thaanum) writes:
   - The other day somebody posted about the availability of VCTRDEMO.PRG at
   - atari.archive (ekrimen perhaps?).  I thought I'd give it a peek, but it
   - doesn't seem to work correctly in either low or med resolution.  It seems
   - to be out of synch with the tv (Yes, I use a tv for color-only stuff and
   - [...deleted...]

   Don't load any memory resident programs or desk accessories.  The
   demo should also be run in low res.  It looks strange in med.  If
   you have an ICD hard drive, disable the booter.

I don't think that's the problem, as I've run the demo with all my
normal auto stuff and accessories and it works fine.  The problem is
probably the fact that the demo uses a software overscan hack to put
graphics in the border.  This is extremely tricky and requires perfect
synchronization with the monitor, something you're not likely to get
with an RF modulator and a TV set.

entropy

jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeff Burka) (02/11/91)

In article <ENTROPY.91Feb11015512@pogo.ai.mit.edu> entropy@ai.mit.edu (entropy) writes:
>In article <1991Feb11.053755.19095@ecst.csuchico.edu> ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) writes:

>>   Don't load any memory resident programs or desk accessories.  The
>>   demo should also be run in low res.  It looks strange in med.  If
>>   you have an ICD hard drive, disable the booter.

>I don't think that's the problem, as I've run the demo with all my
>normal auto stuff and accessories and it works fine.  The problem is
>probably the fact that the demo uses a software overscan hack to put
>graphics in the border.  This is extremely tricky and requires perfect
>synchronization with the monitor, something you're not likely to get
>with an RF modulator and a TV set.

I had problems with the demo (blocks of gibberish) until I put it on a
floppy and booted without the HD or any TSRs/ACCs.

It would seem to depend on what auto programs one is running....

Jeff

--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                |"I've lost my way through this world of |
|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   | profanities/I thrive on the wind and   |