[comp.sys.atari.st] FTP's

Sam_Oben@mindlink.UUCP (Sam Oben) (02/06/91)

I am wondering if anybody can explain to me what FTP and the numbers that are
associated with them are.  So far on my own, I've been confused on how to
access them or whatever I'm suppose to do to get to them.  any help will be
appreciated.

warwick@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (Warwick Allison) (02/08/91)

In <4701@mindlink.UUCP> Sam_Oben@mindlink.UUCP (Sam Oben) writes:

>I am wondering if anybody can explain to me what FTP and the numbers that are
>associated with them are.  So far on my own, I've been confused on how to
>access them or whatever I'm suppose to do to get to them.  any help will be
>appreciated.

This seems to be a common question, here's an answer:

	1. You must have FTP access
	2. read the manual entry
	3. access the ftp site, eg. some atari sites:

Main one:

terminator.cc.umich.edu            141.211.164.8   xscheme, msdos, atari,

Others: (NB. lots of European sites here (.de .fi .nl)

cs.uni-sb.de                       134.96.7.254    GNU, atari, RFCs, perl, misc
dsrgsun.ces.cwru.edu               129.22.16.2     Minix, TOS Atari ST, gcc from
faui43.informatik.uni-erlangen.de  131.188.1.43    NeWS X11 amiga atari faces
jyu.fi                             128.214.7.5     unix, atari, amiga, mac,
mars.ee.msstate.edu                130.18.64.3     msdos, amiga, mac, atari,
rusmv1.rus.uni-stuttgart.de        129.69.1.12     RFCs, X11, atari, amiga,
sol.cs.ruu.nl                      131.211.80.5    atari, GNU, HP-UX, TeX, Perl,
um.cc.umich.edu                    35.1.1.43       msdos, mac, apple, atari

eg. type "ftp 141.211.164.8"
--
   _  |\	warwick@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au
  / `-' *  <--	Computer Science Department,

weiner@terminator.cc.umich.edu (Jeff Weiner) (02/08/91)

In article <7220@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au> warwick@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au writes:
>In <4701@mindlink.UUCP> Sam_Oben@mindlink.UUCP (Sam Oben) writes:
>
>>I am wondering if anybody can explain to me what FTP and the numbers that are
>>associated with them are.  So far on my own, I've been confused on how to
>>access them or whatever I'm suppose to do to get to them.  any help will be
>>appreciated.

[excellent suggestions deleted]
>	3. access the ftp site, eg. some atari sites:

[list of sites including my favorite one deleted]
>um.cc.umich.edu                    35.1.1.43       msdos, mac, apple, atari

You probably won't want to use this one.  It's mainly used as
a back up site for the atari.archive.umich.edu, and is mostly very old
versions of files everybody already has.

>--
>   _  |\	warwick@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au
>  / `-' *  <--	Computer Science Department,
>  \__--_/	University of Queensland,
>       V	AUSTRALIA.

weiner
--
Jeff Weiner	weiner@terminator.cc.umich.edu	Jeff_Weiner@ub.cc.umich.edu
"Out of  the way lady! RUN! Run for safety, foolish pedestrians!" -Sam and Max

s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) (02/08/91)

In article <4701@mindlink.UUCP> Sam_Oben@mindlink.UUCP (Sam Oben) writes:
>I am wondering if anybody can explain to me what FTP and the numbers that are
>associated with them are.  So far on my own, I've been confused on how to
>access them or whatever I'm suppose to do to get to them.  any help will be
>appreciated.

FTP is a short for File Transfer Protocol. FTP is used to move files via nets
from machine to another. Those numbers are an address. All machines have
their address in both numbers and letters, for example I am on a machine
called saha, saha.tky.hut.fi now (saha is finnish and means saw, like jiggsaw)
there is also a numerical form for that address.

In Unix, to use FTP, simply type FTP. (first see: man ftp)
Or type FTP <address>.
A widely used method is anonymous FTP. You can download PD to your machine
from various servers. When FTP asks your login-name, type "anonymous".
Then it asks your password ads asks you to send your indent as a password.

But FTP is a big thing, try man ftp or try to get some printed instructions
to use it.

			Jartsu

	*** Jari Lehto, jartsu@otax.hut.fi, s37837k@saha.hut.fi ***

bammi@acae127.cadence.com (Jwahar R. Bammi) (02/12/91)

In article <7220@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au> warwick@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (Warwick Allison) writes:

> In <4701@mindlink.UUCP> Sam_Oben@mindlink.UUCP (Sam Oben) writes:
> dsrgsun.ces.cwru.edu               129.22.16.2     Minix, TOS Atari ST, gcc from

please scratch that one. i am no longer at cwru. if it does still
exist, its contents are obsolete.

--
bang:   uunet!cadence!bammi			jwahar r. bammi
domain: bammi@cadence.com