[comp.sys.atari.st] Number of bitplanes vs. number of colors

kentd@FtCollins.NCR.com (Kent.Dalton) (02/12/91)

<8305855@arium.stgt.sub.org> writes, RE: 640x400x2 :
> Well should mean 'two bitplanes' what gives a choise of 4 colours.
>
> TschauTschau
>		Bernd

I'm pretty sure you're wrong, at least in the context of how the numbers were
presented in the original article. To quote from the original post:

> <good stuff deleted... >
>

> What is also confusing is that the mono mode indicated in the manual
> says two colors are available on the MEGA STe, from a palette of 4096,
> at 640x400?!  I of course can't test this as I only have the SM124
> to work on.
>
> < more good stuff deleted... >
>
> Graphics                                         320x200x16
>                                                  640x200x4
>                                                  640x400x2
>
> Color                                            4096 Colors

Proof: for 320x200 to have 16 bit planes the color pallette (sic) would
have to be _at_least_ 65536.

So, to summarize: #of possible colors to choose from = 4096, X rez = 640,
Y rez = 400, # of simultaneous colors for display on screen = 2

Sorry for the repost, to any who understood the first time, but I hate to see
misinformation on the 'net. :^)

Thanks, to the original reviewer by the way!

/* Kent Dalton                     * EMail: Kent.Dalton@FtCollins.NCR.COM */
/* NCR Microelectronics            *   CIS: 72320,3306                    */
/* 2001 Danfield Ct. MS470A        *                                      */
/* Fort Collins, Colorado 80525    * (303) 223-5100 X-319                 */
Fortune:
Death is life's way of telling you you've been fired.
		-- R. Geis