[comp.sys.atari.st] How to play Ecology?

whitcomb@aurs01.uucp (Jonathan Whitcomb) (02/07/91)

I just downloaded "ECOLOGY.LZH" from Delphi, and I can't figure
out how to play it (Guess I'm just stupid... 8^B).  Can anyone
clue me in?  It looks great!

BTW, I love the fact that the music soundtrack pipes out of the ST's
MIDI ports.  It was one of my favorite features of Ultima III & IV
(they discontinued it in V >-( ).  Nothing like fighting a fierce
battle with theme music shaking the walls.

Jonathan Whitcomb                    UUCP: <...!mcnc!aurgate!whitcomb>
(919) 850-6231                       I'm not a software engineer,
Raleigh, NC                          but I play one on TV.

andyc@hplsla.HP.COM (Andy Cassino) (02/09/91)

whitcomb@aurs01.uucp (Jonathan Whitcomb) writes:

> I just downloaded "ECOLOGY.LZH" from Delphi, and I can't figure
> out how to play it (Guess I'm just stupid... 8^B).  Can anyone
> clue me in?  It looks great!

Join the club! It looks like great fun but the only thing I've managed to do
is eat a blade of grass here and there. I've concluded this is meant as a
demo, not a playable game. If someone knows otherwise, I'd like to hear about
it as well!

    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    % Andy Cassino                                       %
    % Hewlett-Packard - Lake Stevens Instrument Division %
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

boyd@mailer.cc.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (02/09/91)

In article <59550@aurs01.UUCP>, whitcomb@aurs01.uucp (Jonathan Whitcomb) writes:
>I just downloaded "ECOLOGY.LZH" from Delphi, and I can't figure
>out how to play it (Guess I'm just stupid... 8^B).  Can anyone
>clue me in?  It looks great!

You first start out at a little bug of some sort.  You first need to find
some food (the little worm things) and eat it.  To do this, get near it
 press the button and move the stick in the food direction (look at the
screen when you press the button, you will see that you have to hold the
joystick a certain direction to indicate you wish to eat), and keep holding
it.  Your bug will chase the food and eat it.  You then need to find another
bug like you to mate with.  You will now have a "mate" direction for the
joystick (with the button down).  Again, get near it and hold the joystick
correctly.  After this, you will see the genetic selection screen, where
you can play with your DNA, in hopes of becoming a higher life form (usually
a doggie, or a bug with wings so you can fly).  The eat/mate cycle starts
again (amazingly accurate, huh?!?).  The object of the game is to evolve
to a person.  During this whole time, you must avoid all of the other
higher life forms you see milling around the gamespace.  These are pretty
brief instructions, if you have any more questions feel free to email.

--
             Mickey R. Boyd          |  "God is a comedian playing to an
          FSU Computer Science       |      audience too afraid to laugh."

daniel@hexagon.se (Daniel Deimert) (02/11/91)

In article <5440154@hplsla.HP.COM> andyc@hplsla.HP.COM (Andy Cassino) writes:
>> I just downloaded "ECOLOGY.LZH" from Delphi, and I can't figure
>> out how to play it (Guess I'm just stupid... 8^B).  Can anyone
>> clue me in?  It looks great!
>
>Join the club! It looks like great fun but the only thing I've managed to do

I don't know about wheter ECOLOGY.LZH is only a demo or not, but if it's
the "real thing" things are easy enough: First, you have to make sure
you don't die of starvation.  Second, reproduce yourself.  Third, make
sure you evolve to higher levels, (spider -> flying insect -> dog [!],
or dog -> horse -> "human" [!]).  The object of the game is to become
"human" (ie two legs, two arms, no wings :-).

It's fun. It's great. It's ECO!

--
Daniel Deimert					     FidoNet 2:204/117.3
daniel@hexagon.se		  ...!sunic!kullmar!pkmab!hexagon!daniel

awrc@cs.ed.ac.uk (Al Crawford) (02/11/91)

In article <5440154@hplsla.HP.COM> andyc@hplsla.HP.COM (Andy Cassino) writes:
>Join the club! It looks like great fun but the only thing I've managed to do
>is eat a blade of grass here and there. I've concluded this is meant as a
>demo, not a playable game. If someone knows otherwise, I'd like to hear about
>it as well!

From the descriptions I've read of this it sounds very much like the game
"Eco" that was released by Ocean back in 1988 ie it was a commercial product
and sold for #20. However, it's now a very *old* game and I've not seen it
around for ages so I suppose it's not impossible that it's been placed in
the public domain since.

If I remember correctly (I sold the game to a friend ages ago) once you've
eaten enough grass you should try to mate with another bug. If this is
successful you get a chance to modify your DNA and evolve a bit. From their
you can evolve into a dog or a bird and eventually into a human being. There's
not a great deal to do and the game doesn't really *go* anywhere but it's just
so surreal that I love(d) it.

Hmmm. Maybe it's about time I tried to get it *back* from the friend I sold it
to...

--
    Al Crawford - INTERNET : awrc@lfcs.ed.ac.uk  JANET : awrc@uk.ac.ed.lfcs
  "We can sanitize your mind in half the time it takes to sign your name..."

kuento@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (02/12/91)

In article <2493@hexagon.se>, daniel@hexagon.se (Daniel Deimert) writes:
> In article <5440154@hplsla.HP.COM> andyc@hplsla.HP.COM (Andy Cassino) writes:
>>> I just downloaded "ECOLOGY.LZH" from Delphi, and I can't figure
>>> out how to play it (Guess I'm just stupid... 8^B).  Can anyone
>>> clue me in?  It looks great!
>>
>>Join the club! It looks like great fun but the only thing I've managed to do
>
> I don't know about wheter ECOLOGY.LZH is only a demo or not, but if it's
> the "real thing" things are easy enough: First, you have to make sure
> you don't die of starvation.  Second, reproduce yourself.  Third, make
> sure you evolve to higher levels, (spider -> flying insect -> dog [!],
> or dog -> horse -> "human" [!]).  The object of the game is to become
> "human" (ie two legs, two arms, no wings :-).
>
> It's fun. It's great. It's ECO!

But take it from an evolutionary ecologist - it doesn't bear the
*slightest* resemblance to ecology. In fact, if I can get a copy, I
plan to use it to show my students a humorous example of pseudo-
science. And frankly, folks, any living organism is a "higher-level"
organism - only extinct organisms rank "lower" (is any point along
the circumference of a perfect sphere "farther" from the center than
any other? Does a sphere have a "top"? If not, then humans can't
claim any special status).
-------(please include "DY" in subj header of mail to this user)--------
Doug "Speaker-To-Insects" Yanega      "UT!"       Bitnet: KUENTO@UKANVAX
My card: 0 The Fool       (Snow Museum, Univ. of KS, Lawrence, KS 66045)
"I'll employ my resources to make your puny lives miserable! I'll crush
your pitiful dreams and ambitions like bugs in the dust!" - Calvin

logajan@ns.network.com (John Logajan) (02/13/91)

kuento@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>Does a sphere have a "top"? If not, then humans can't
>claim any special status.

Well, frankly, I claim a lot of special status.

While you go about claiming that you are just a bug,
remember that you are speaking only for yourself.

--
- John Logajan @ Network Systems; 7600 Boone Ave; Brooklyn Park, MN 55428
- logajan@ns.network.com, 612-424-4888, Fax 612-424-2853

schaper@pnet51.orb.mn.org (S Schaper) (02/13/91)

  I hear it was a game in development that got dropped for some reason, hence
its' shortcomings. In a sense it is just a demo. But a fun one?

Zeitgeist Busters!
UUCP: {crash tcnet}!orbit!pnet51!schaper
INET: schaper@pnet51.orb.mn.org
           Aslan is on the move!