[comp.sys.atari.st] MegaSTe info, now TOS 2.05

schaper@pnet51.orb.mn.org (S Schaper) (02/06/91)

  This is an inevitable question, so I will ask it. How about having TOS 2.05
available for the older ST's, in both six and two chip sets (I have an early
520 now plus,  with the six chip set). It sure would be a major improvement
over TOS 1.0 and would be worth the investment.
  Atari?, I know you are busy with all these excellent new products, perhaps
your manufacturing facilities are too busy now, but this would be an excellent
thing to do, make a lot of us older customers happy.

Zeitgeist Busters!
UUCP: {crash tcnet}!orbit!pnet51!schaper
INET: schaper@pnet51.orb.mn.org
           Aslan is on the move!

carter@cat27.cs.wisc.edu (Gregory Carter) (02/06/91)

Writes:

  This is an inevitable question, so I will ask it. How about having TOS 2.05
available for the older ST's, in both six and two chip sets (I have an early
520 now plus,  with the six chip set). It sure would be a major improvement
over TOS 1.0 and would be worth the investment.
  Atari?, I know you are busy with all these excellent new products, perhaps
your manufacturing facilities are too busy now, but this would be an excellent
thing to do, make a lot of us older customers happy.

First of all the new TOS is too large to fit into the 192K ROM address
space with the old ROM chip sets.

Secondly, lots of the extra baggage in the new tos would be quite
useless, if not impossible to implement on the old ST's/MEGA machines.

If I was you, I would push for the new desktop.  Its grand.  I never thought
I would actualy like my desktop...but I do now!  (Kisses and Hugs):)
(I daily clean my screen from lip prints) :) :)

--Gregory

Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (02/07/91)

In article <1991Feb6.145941.905@daffy.cs.wisc.edu> carter@cat27.cs.wisc.edu (Gregory Carter) writes:
> Zeitgeist Busters!
> UUCP: {crash tcnet}!orbit!pnet51!schaper
> INET: schaper@pnet51.orb.mn.org
>
> Writes:
>
>   This is an inevitable question, so I will ask it. How about having TOS 2.05
> available for the older ST's, in both six and two chip sets (I have an early
> 520 now plus,  with the six chip set). It sure would be a major improvement
> over TOS 1.0 and would be worth the investment.
>   Atari?, I know you are busy with all these excellent new products, perhaps
> your manufacturing facilities are too busy now, but this would be an excellent
> thing to do, make a lot of us older customers happy.

> First of all the new TOS is too large to fit into the 192K ROM address
> space with the old ROM chip sets.
>
> Secondly, lots of the extra baggage in the new tos would be quite
> useless, if not impossible to implement on the old ST's/MEGA machines.
>
> If I was you, I would push for the new desktop.  Its grand.  I never thought
> I would actualy like my desktop...but I do now!  (Kisses and Hugs):)
> (I daily clean my screen from lip prints) :) :)
>
> --Gregory

Well I would think it was posible, for one thing Compile the code with
a better Compiler, (Turbo 'C') Plus take all the redundent code out, like I
Love so and so, plus all the repeated Text that I have found, Why not Pack
the Text (RLL)?, go have a view at the TOS Roms and see what I meen..There
is also a reported Game in TOS 1.6.
--
Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...

neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) (02/07/91)

In article <4014@orbit.cts.com> schaper@pnet51.orb.mn.org (S Schaper) writes:
>  This is an inevitable question, so I will ask it. How about having TOS 2.05
>available for the older ST's, in both six and two chip sets (I have an early
>520 now plus,  with the six chip set). It sure would be a major improvement
>over TOS 1.0 and would be worth the investment.

Well you're a latecomer to the discussion on new TOS versions but your vote on
the matter is most welcome. I should point out that I doubt if the new TOS
will fit in 192K so the general concensus of opinion is to release it in part
or whole as a RAM loadable version. This would not be a great benefit to
floppy only users but would greatly enhance HD systems.

LET'S KEEP PLUGGING AT IT FOLKS!

hvaalde@cs.vu.nl (Aalderen van Harold) (02/08/91)

neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) writes:

>In article <4014@orbit.cts.com> schaper@pnet51.orb.mn.org (S Schaper) writes:
>>  This is an inevitable question, so I will ask it. How about having TOS 2.05
>>available for the older ST's, in both six and two chip sets (I have an early
>>520 now plus,  with the six chip set). It sure would be a major improvement
>>over TOS 1.0 and would be worth the investment.

>Well you're a latecomer to the discussion on new TOS versions but your vote on
>the matter is most welcome.

I vote for a fully compatible RAM loadable (from HD ofcourse) version for
HD owners
and if possible a stripped ROM version to satisfy floppy users and some
HD owners with little memory
By the way how big is the ROM space of the 1040STE?

Harold van Aalderen (hvaalde@cs.vu.nl)

neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) (02/10/91)

In article <8997@star.cs.vu.nl> hvaalde@cs.vu.nl (Aalderen van Harold) writes:
>I vote for a fully compatible RAM loadable (from HD ofcourse) version for
>HD owners and if possible a stripped ROM version to satisfy floppy users and
>some HD owners with little memory

Well there's another vote! Are you reading this Atari? Perhaps we should
petition Atari about this.

>By the way how big is the ROM space of the 1040STE?

I think this is the situation on ROM size and location:-

Machine		Size	Address		TOS Version
-------		----	-------		-----------
ST,STF,STFM	192K	$FC0000		TOS 1.0,1.2,1.4
STE		256K	$E00000		TOS 1.60,1.62
Mega STE	512K	$E00000	(?)	TOS 2.05
TT		512K	$E00000		TOS 3.00 (?)

Note however you should *NEVER* rely on the address. You should get the
address system header at $4F2 and work from that.
I guess the STE could be hacked to take 512K of addressing. Maybe the MMU
craps on that idea.

>Harold van Aalderen (hvaalde@cs.vu.nl)

! DISCLAIMER:Unless otherwise stated, the above comments are entirely my own !
!                                                                            !
! Neil Forsyth                      JANET:  neil@uk.ac.hw.cs                 !
! Dept. of Computer Science         ARPA:   neil@cs.hw.ac.uk                 !
! Heriot-Watt University            UUCP:   ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!neil          !
! Edinburgh, Scotland, UK           "That was never 512K!"                   !

micro@imada.dk (Klaus Pedersen) (02/13/91)

schaper@pnet51.orb.mn.org (S Schaper) writes:

>[ Make TOS 2.05 available for 'older' ST's ]

It is possible for Atari to make an upgrade, for the older ST's - the only
hardware required is 2 roms (128Kb x 8) and a new GLUE chip. The GLUE makes
all the rom chip selects. The new GLUE should make chip selects in the 0xE0
range instead of the 0xFC range. (with 6 rom sockets of each 128Kb there
should be 768Kb rom space - now say that there is no room for GDOS).

There is problems however... All the new Atari computers (STE,TT) have new
hardware! (TOS 1.8 and NOT TOS 2.05).

Another problem is that Atari might not see the enougt potential sale in
such an upgrade, to justify the development of a new GLUE, and yet another
version of TOS.

Klaus Pedesen

larserio@IFI.UIO.NO (LarsErikOsterud) (02/13/91)

To get the OS adresse you could also look at the first bytes of the RAM
The first 8 bytes are copies of the ROM on all machines....
$2.B  First byte of version  (1 = ST/STE, 2 = MEGA STE, 3 = TT)
$3.B  Second byte of version (<5 = ST, >5 STE for $2.B = 1)
$4.L  Exec OS adresse (FC0030 for a standard ST)

 Lars-Erik  /  ABK-BBS +47 2132659  /   ____ ______ ________________________
  Osterud  /  larserio@ifi.uio.no  /   /___    /            The norwegian ST
__________/ ______________________/   ____/   /   Klubben,  user association

csbrod@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod ) (02/13/91)

larserio@IFI.UIO.NO (LarsErikOsterud) writes:

>To get the OS adresse you could also look at the first bytes of the RAM
>The first 8 bytes are copies of the ROM on all machines....
>$2.B  First byte of version  (1 = ST/STE, 2 = MEGA STE, 3 = TT)
>$3.B  Second byte of version (<5 = ST, >5 STE for $2.B = 1)
>$4.L  Exec OS adresse (FC0030 for a standard ST)

This is an undocumented feature. You should really use sysbase instead.

Claus Brod, Am Felsenkeller 2,			Things. Take. Time.
D-8772 Marktheidenfeld, West Germany		(Piet Hein)
csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de