[comp.sys.atari.st] TEMPUS WORD

ramsiri@blake.u.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) (02/09/91)

I heard a while back that TEMPUS WORD was available in Europe.  Has
anyone seen it here in the US?  Anybody know anything about its
features?

Thanks
Kevin
ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu

andyc@hplsla.HP.COM (Andy Cassino) (02/12/91)

ramsiri@blake.u.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) writes:

>I heard a while back that TEMPUS WORD was available in Europe.  Has
>anyone seen it here in the US?  Anybody know anything about its
>features?
----------

The scuttlebutt on GEnie is that TEMPUS WORD is avilable only in a German
version and there is no interest in creating either a US or UK (e.g. English)
version.

    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    % Andy Cassino                                       %
    % Hewlett-Packard - Lake Stevens Instrument Division %
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

warwick@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (Warwick Allison) (02/12/91)

In <5440155@hplsla.HP.COM> andyc@hplsla.HP.COM (Andy Cassino) writes:

>The scuttlebutt on GEnie is that TEMPUS WORD is avilable only in a German
>version and there is no interest in creating either a US or UK (e.g. English)
>version.

Don't you just hate these programs with hard-coded language dependancies!
The whole purpose of a RSC file is to do away with such problems:
translating the language is trivial with resources.  When I got GEMINI off
the archive, it was all in German.  So I changed the resource, but still it
had some German stuff, because the authors had used form_alert type calls
with literal strings in them!

Oh well!
Warwick.
--
   _  |\	warwick@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au
  / `-' *  <--	Computer Science Department,

jhenders@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca (John Henders) (02/12/91)

In <7258@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au>, Warwick Allison writes:

>Don't you just hate these programs with hard-coded language dependancies!
>The whole purpose of a RSC file is to do away with such problems:
>translating the language is trivial with resources.

	I think the main expense concern is not the resource conversion, but
the cost of translating and printing the manuals. Anyone who has read the
Abacus books will know that it must be hard to find good computer-literate
translators, thus they probably charge a lot.

--
          John Henders        jhenders@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca
          Vancouver,B.C.      or jhenders@wimsey.bc.ca

Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (02/13/91)

In article <A0b0qewa@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca> jhenders@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca writes:
> In <7258@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au>, Warwick Allison writes:
> >
> >Don't you just hate these programs with hard-coded language dependancies!
> >The whole purpose of a RSC file is to do away with such problems:
> >translating the language is trivial with resources.
>           John Henders        jhenders@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca
>           Vancouver,B.C.      or jhenders@wimsey.bc.ca
>                               or ubc.cs!van-bc!jonh!jhenders

Tempus has never used RSC, I for one don't like them, but I have read in
some UK. Mags, that the English version will soon be out, and that was
some time back, may be these Mags get carried away, because it was
some years back that we where getting Adimens, then back in Oct, 1990
that Kumana was bringing it out, but still no sign of it, these Mags
where ST-User and ST-World, it seems that the Editors of the Mags
dream a lot, by the way a Sales pamphlet of the Mega here has pile of software
boxes show on the back page, there is a box for Adimends, is this just
a con from Atari ???
--
Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...