[comp.sys.atari.st] Upgrade Hell -- a myriad of choices

bdm@fabry.rice.edu (Brian D. Moore) (02/13/91)

    It's getting closer to THAT time -- the dreaded need to upgrade.  I'll
avoid the IHDQ (Inevitable Hard Drive Question) and focus on the Meat and
Potatoes.
    So, being of weak skill (and will), I shall most definitely send the unit
to someone more qualified.  And I shall go for the whole 4 megs.  (Boy, I
never thought 1 Meg could be so small :-)) So that is not the contention.
However, there is no point in having the unit cracked open without getting
some other perks, like TOS > 1.2 .  So, what's available.  Can I (or will I)
be able to get TOS 1.60? 1.62? 2.00?  Any pratfalls (i.e., is there a bug-free
1.60 chip source)?  And (gulp) how much is that going to cost?  Who does it?
Who does it WELL?  Should I wait for TT (or does TT == Godot)?  Your thoughts,
O Wise One.

     Also, on a related note:  are there any plans to put NeoDesk 3 on cartridge?
It seems SOMEBODY should be using that damn port, why not them?

Brian D. Moore              |
Space Physics and Astronomy | Nobody looks good with brown lipstick on. -- FZ
Rice University, Houston TX |

Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (02/13/91)

Distribution:world
Followup-To:upgrade

Well you did not mention TOS 1.4, that is only the cheapest option you
have, was Quoted by Atari as $99 fitted, For Ram go for the J.R.Allen
Simm upgrade, there is a 68030 and a 16 MHZ upgrades by Dave Small, uses a
patched version of TOS 1.6, but that could cost you, but there is also the
16 MHZ upgrade by ICD, Iam in the same boat, so will go for TOS 1.4,
the J.R.Allen simm upgrade and the ICD Turbo, if this does this help,
gee you should have far more help over there than we do have here in
New Zealand, Why not contact Double Click, they are in your home town..
--
Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (02/13/91)

bdm@fabry.rice.edu (Brian D. Moore) writes:

-    It's getting closer to THAT time -- the dreaded need to upgrade.
- I'll avoid the IHDQ (Inevitable Hard Drive Question) and focus on the
- Meat and Potatoes.

Sounds like fun -- upgrade time!!

-  So, being of weak skill (and will),

Sounds like me: weak skill. :^)

- I shall most definitely send the unit to someone more qualified.
- And I shall go for the whole 4 megs.  (Boy, I never thought 1 Meg
- could be so small :-)) So that is not the contention.  However, there
- is no point in having the unit cracked open without getting some other
- perks, like TOS > 1.2 .

Sounds good.  Rainbow TOS is definitely a must-have.

- So, what's available.  Can I (or will I) be able to get TOS 1.60?
- 1.62? 2.00?

Not for a 520, 1040, or Mega.

- Any pratfalls (i.e., is there a bug-free 1.60 chip source)?
- And (gulp) how much is that going to cost?  Who does it?  Who does
- it WELL?

You can.  Read on.

- Should I wait for TT (or does TT == Godot)?

I don't know what Godot is (someone send me e-mail), I think most
people on this net believe it will arrive.  Hmmm, it's the middle of
February.  Well, yes, we're still waiting, but it's coming (to the
U.S. that is) so we can actually purchase them at a mythical local
dealer.

- Your thoughts, O Wise One.

All righty.  I say, and I think a few people on here can back me up
on this, if you you're in the upgrade mood, you should sell your
current ST, be it a 520 or 1040, and get an STe.  (If you have a Mega,
you'll have to decide for yourself; or maybe someone here who's gone
Mega --> 1040STe can help you out.)  STe's are going for around $599,
if not less.  With SIMM prices relatively low ($40-50) you can have a
four meg STe for less than a thousand.  Plus, you'd be getting TOS 1.6
(probably 1.62, but can't confirm -- anybody know if they're
installing 1.62 yet?), blitter, stereo sound, 4096-color palette,
hardware scrolling, and don't forget those wonderful 15-pin analog
joystick ports!

OK, now, the hot rumor going around is that by the end of the year,
all STe's -- dunno if this includes MegaSTe's -- will have an
AT-Speed installed in them.  Someone (Mark Blackstad?) on the Fidonet
ST echo says that Atari is trying to get away from the
non-IBM-compatible problem is going to remedy it this way.  He adds
that he's going to wait until the end of the year to get his MegaSTe.
:^)  I bought my STe in July.  I'm glad I bought it then because I've
been able to enjoy it for half a year and it will keep pumping along.
Having a faster CPU and detachable keyboard would be nice, so I'm
looking towards a MegaSTe or TT, but will certainly wait until the
smoke settles.  I bought my STe so soon, it had the hard drive
problem, so that was kind of a pain.  I'd say now is the best time to
get an STe.  The prices have gone down, which indicates it probably
won't go down again anytime soon.  The MegaSTe and TT still seem to
be at least a month away, and then give them a two or three months after
that to settle in.

So, if you're dying for an upgrade, I recommend selling your ST and
getting an STe.

-     Also, on a related note:  are there any plans to put NeoDesk 3
- on cartridge ?  It seems SOMEBODY should be using that damn port, why
- not them?

I asked Dan Wilga about this last year and he said it would be too
expensive and raise the cost of purchasing the program to somewhere
over $100.

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

ramsiri@blake.u.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) (02/14/91)

In article <1991Feb13.061232.4099@ecst.csuchico.edu> ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) writes:
>bdm@fabry.rice.edu (Brian D. Moore) writes:
>- Should I wait for TT (or does TT == Godot)?
>
>I don't know what Godot is (someone send me e-mail), I think most

Beckett
..rather like the analogy, really!

>- Your thoughts, O Wise One.
>
>All righty.  I say, and I think a few people on here can back me up
>on this, if you you're in the upgrade mood, you should sell your
>current ST, be it a 520 or 1040, and get an STe.  (If you have a Mega,
>Mega --> 1040STe can help you out.)  STe's are going for around $599,

Joppa sells the Ste for $379.00

>if not less.  With SIMM prices relatively low ($40-50) you can have a
>four meg STe for less than a thousand.  Plus, you'd be getting TOS 1.6

Joppa sell the Ste with 4MB simms for $599.00

>(probably 1.62, but can't confirm -- anybody know if they're
>installing 1.62 yet?), blitter, stereo sound, 4096-color palette,
>hardware scrolling, and don't forget those wonderful 15-pin analog
>joystick ports!
>
>:^)  I bought my STe in July.  I'm glad I bought it then because I've
>been able to enjoy it for half a year and it will keep pumping along.

I'm glad I bought my 1040St in June 1986, and decided NOT to
wait for the TT my dealer was so excited about at the time.

>Having a faster CPU and detachable keyboard would be nice, so I'm
>looking towards a MegaSTe or TT, but will certainly wait until the

Pop an ADSpeed 16mhz accelerator in an STe.  Total package
for a 4MB 16Mhz STe with 1.6 would run under $900 sans monitor(s).
its NOT a MegaSte or TT of course, but seems like a nice set up.