[comp.sys.atari.st] No More Mac ROMs? <- cloning the roms

art@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Art Mulder) (02/12/91)

In article <1991Feb11.202327.3702@unx2.ucc.okstate.edu> cummins@unx2.ucc.okstate.edu (John Cummins) writes:
>>Well, I have heard that a company has successfully cloned the Mac ROMs,
>>opening the doors to a flood of Mac clones. I don't know the name or
>>anything though, but this might be a ray of sunlight to the Mac emulation
>>world.
>>

>Details!!!!!!
>
>please?  anyone!!!!

about 6 months ago in the 'X' newsgroup there was a posting from a company
that was cloning the mac toolbox roms.  In a recent housecleaning I
blew away the article, so I can't quote it.  So go looking in the
X group for details.

memory tells me that they had something at the rough beta test stage, using
'X' (only just using X, not heavily depending on it) for the screen
interface.

Sorry I can't be more helpfull

--
-----------
Art Mulder, McMaster University                  art@maccs.DCSS.mcmaster.ca

hojo@cbnewsb.cb.att.com (HC Johnson) (02/14/91)

In article <27B74418.1334@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca>, art@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Art Mulder) writes:
> In article <1991Feb11.202327.3702@unx2.ucc.okstate.edu> cummins@unx2.ucc.okstate.edu (John Cummins) writes:
> >>Well, I have heard that a company has successfully cloned the Mac ROMs,
> >>opening the doors to a flood of Mac clones. I don't know the name or
> >>anything though, but this might be a ray of sunlight to the Mac emulation
> >>world.
>
> about 6 months ago in the 'X' newsgroup there was a posting from a company
> that was cloning the mac toolbox roms.  In a recent housecleaning I
> blew away the article, so I can't quote it.  So go looking in the
> X group for details.

What they demonstrated was an X implementation of the ROMS User interface.
-Things like : open window; write;  etc.
This allowed a user program for a MAC to run on X.  But in no way did they
attempt to implement the MAC lower stuff.

Sorry.

Howard Johnson
ATT BELL LABS
att!lzsc!hcj