[comp.sys.atari.st] advice please - Atari-ST or Amiga

rick@tetrauk.UUCP (Rick Jones) (02/05/91)

I suspect this could be a religious issue for some people, but as an agnostic
on the subject I'm just looking for a bit of objective advice.

I'm planning to buy a system for home use, on a small budget, and the Amiga and
Atari systems look pretty much comparable to me.  What I'd like to hear are any
more subtle insights into which (possibly neither!) is more likely to suit me
better, especially in the long run.

Just so you know what level to pitch at, I'm a professional software engineer
and systems programmer, working on Unix on anything from 386 top-end PC's
upwards.  The home machine is going to be used mostly by my family (I like to
take a break from the things when I get home :-).  If I had the budget I'd get
a nice 386 Compaq with plenty hard-disk or similar, but I haven't - sigh.

Likely uses:

Games playing, mostly by the children
WP, my wife and myself a bit (I'd probably be happier with a vi clone!)
Household accounts
By my wife (an accountant) to handle client accounts
	this is fairly small-scale, and I'd anticipate adding hard disk, etc
    (I'd probably want to write s/w, or adapt PD stuff for these last two)
By children to learn programming, and "real" computing
Datacomms - remote login to the office, etc. (even Usenet!)

Things I'd like to know about:

What you REALLY get for the price with the cheapest model - any "optional
extras" that you can't really live without.
Relative costs of upgrading RAM, adding disks (floppy and hard), printer and
comms interfaces.
Limits to such upgrades (max RAM, max MB disk, etc)
Video quality a) via TV modulator, b) using monitor.
Costs of monitors, including availability of 3rd party monitors.

What's the standard OS, and how useful (and easy to use) is it?
What alternatives are available (both commercial and PD)
Availability of software - games, packages, programming languages
		(interpreters & compilers), teaching aids, etc.
General quality and relative prices of such.

Any significant performance comparisons.
Anything you think is significant that I haven't mentioned.
Why I shouldn't get either and get something else :-)

I'd like to be able to start small but have the option to expand if I feel it's
justified, so the point at which the cheapest machine becomes a dead-end is
important.  I know the Amiga comes in various models, but I'm not clear what
upgrade there is, if any, between them.

I'd also appreciate any advice on low-cost letter-quality (even graphics)
printers that would be suitable.  I have very little experience at this end of
the market.

Please bear in mind I live in England, so any super bargain deals available in
the US aren't going to help me much!  And from anyone in the UK, comments on
the chances with either system of getting a good second-hand deal would be
welcome (from a quick scan of the newsgroups, I suspect the Atari has the edge
here - presumably as it's been around longer).

Please respond by e-mail, as I don't generally follow these newsgroups.

Thanks in advance
--
Rick Jones
Tetra Ltd.  Maidenhead, 	Was it something important?  Maybe not

gl8f@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) (02/07/91)

Please do NOT cross-post Amiga/ST comparisons to both newsgroups.
Several years ago we had a huge flamewar because of this; I doubt
anyone wants to see it again.

If you want to decide which machine to buy, your best bet is to go to
your local dealer and compare. Read magazine reviews. Don't start a
flamewar.

carter@cat27.cs.wisc.edu (Gregory Carter) (02/07/91)

Writes: ...

	In my opinion, STs are nice, simple machines with a good monochrome
display and a nice, but limited OS; Amiga is a more complex machine
with a powerfull, state-of-the-art OS and far better colour capabilities.
And when regarding current sales figures, Amiga is the machine of
the future, I wouldn't too much on Ataris in this aspect.

Notice the third word in the paragraph...OPINION.  Obviously this man
never EVER owned an ST.  I would contend, that after the equavalent ad ons
such as a color board/graphics card, in Europe which there are many,
the ST would look just as nice as an AMIGA machine.

As for sales, thats funny, a German friend on my floor says thats all there
are in Germany is Atari's with a few Amiga's sprinkled here and there???

Atari has very healthy markets abroad and just like commodore, Atari has
yet to take advantage of the USA market.

If you want to do word processing, I hardly think you would have time to
play a game at the same time.  As for multi tasking, Atari multitasks
REALISTICALLY.  That is, if you want to print something out, or download
something or do something else like play music that doesn't require
your constant interaction there are plenty of options available to help you
do these things in the background so you don't waste time so you can do
something else..like play games.

Really, multitasking is WAY overplayed by AMIGA people.  They are not
the only people who have multi tasking machines, its just that workbench
supports this option automatically.  While on the ST its an add on.

---Gregory

kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) (02/07/91)

Well each machine has its merits.  The way you should choose a machine is
to find the software you plan to run, look at what you might want to run
in the future and buy the machine that runs it.

No one machine does all tasks well.  Find a machine that will do the task
you wish to do well.

So now that you have figured out what software you want to run; does it
run on a Mac, Atari, PC clone, Amiga, or NeXT.

I personally own an eight bit Atari 1200XL (haven't touched it in a long
time), 386sx PC clone (I happen to like it) running Win 3.0, and I'm
waiting for my NeXT to be delivered.

Once again one machine is not suited for every task.  Find a machine that
runs the software you like and buy it.

                        Kent
--
/*  -The opinions expressed are my own, not my employers.    */
/*      For I can only express my own opinions.              */

In article <1991Feb6.205829.2142@daffy.cs.wisc.edu> carter@cat27.cs.wisc.edu (Gregory Carter) writes:

>As for sales, thats funny, a German friend on my floor says thats all there
>are in Germany is Atari's with a few Amiga's sprinkled here and there???

	Well, your friend has an unusual floor. Commodore sells
more personal computers in Europe than any other company except
IBM, they have over 10% of the market. Commodore's sales are also
over twice that of Atari's, in dollars. Your friend is simply
incorrect. Atari is going downhill if you look at their
statements.

>Atari has very healthy markets abroad and just like commodore, Atari has
>yet to take advantage of the USA market.

	Atari, IN EUROPE ONLY, has decent markets which are
shrinking.

>Really, multitasking is WAY overplayed by AMIGA people.  They are not
>the only people who have multi tasking machines, its just that workbench
>supports this option automatically.  While on the ST its an add on.

	Multitasking is only REALLY useful with a powerful
computer. On a standard Amiga, you can format on one disk drive
and compress on another while word processing. But on a
higher-end Amiga with hard-drive (the most important add-on) as
well as 1MB-2MB of memory, you can run many programs
simultaneously. Interprocess Communications is a very powerful
feature that is underused.
	To say multitasking is WAY overplayed is to have never
used it to its fullest. Most people don't. And multitasking is an
add-on to MS-DOS if you count their TSRs.

>---Gregory

	-- Ethan

Q:	What's the definition of a Quayle?

A:	Two right wings and no backbone.

dlk0ms9s@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Mark Santora) (02/07/91)

In article <1991Feb6.205829.2142@daffy.cs.wisc.edu>, carter@cat27.cs.wisc.edu (Gregory Carter) writes:
> Best regards, Dr. Peter Kittel  // E-Mail to  \\  Only my personal opinions...
> Commodore Frankfurt, Germany  \X/ {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmger!peterk
>
> Writes: ...
>
> 	In my opinion, STs are nice, simple machines with a good monochrome
> display and a nice, but limited OS; Amiga is a more complex machine
> with a powerfull, state-of-the-art OS and far better colour capabilities.
> And when regarding current sales figures, Amiga is the machine of
> the future, I wouldn't too much on Ataris in this aspect.

> Notice the third word in the paragraph...OPINION.  Obviously this man
> never EVER owned an ST.  I would contend, that after the equavalent ad ons
> such as a color board/graphics card, in Europe which there are many,
> the ST would look just as nice as an AMIGA machine.
>
> As for sales, thats funny, a German friend on my floor says thats all there
> are in Germany is Atari's with a few Amiga's sprinkled here and there???
>
> Atari has very healthy markets abroad and just like commodore, Atari has
> yet to take advantage of the USA market.
>
> If you want to do word processing, I hardly think you would have time to
> play a game at the same time.  As for multi tasking, Atari multitasks
> REALISTICALLY.  That is, if you want to print something out, or download
> something or do something else like play music that doesn't require
> your constant interaction there are plenty of options available to help you
> do these things in the background so you don't waste time so you can do
> something else..like play games.
>
> Really, multitasking is WAY overplayed by AMIGA people.  They are not
> the only people who have multi tasking machines, its just that workbench
> supports this option automatically.  While on the ST its an add on.
>
> ---Gregory

  Ok people, here you go with the DEFINITIVE answer.  I own BOTH a MEGA 2 and
an Amiga 500.  Now, I have personally come to like each machine for each of its
strong points.  The Amiga has the graphics.  No Question.  Don't get me wrong,
the ST has the capbility, but I have better use for it.  Now the ST is used
for all of my MIDI tasks as well as modem uses(I am doing this off my MEGA) and
Word Processing.  My processor of choice is Word Up.  I also DTP off the MEGA
with Calamus.  I also use the AMIGA for GenLocking.  Now that Dpaint is out
for the ST I must say that I find it easier than DPIII for the AMIGA.  But this
is not a HOLY WAR.  DOn't start one, it isn't worth it.  Just admit your
personal findings about the machines and let it go, there is no reason to
attack machine owners.  And just for the sake of Argument, the multitaksing on
the AMIGA is just too slow for me.  Oh well.

  Mark Santora
  DLK0MS9S@UMIAMI.EDU

scoile@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Steve Coile) (02/07/91)

Ever notice how it's always the Amiga owners who feel the need to press
their Amiga-ST flame wars over to comp.sys.atari.st??  You'd think if
their system was sooooooo much better, they wouldn't be so insecure
about it.  I notice most Atari voices on this group seem rather
confident and content with THE POWER OF THEIR MACHINE (not necessarily
with Atari itself...*SIGH*).

Of course, I just hope everyone realizes, that neither an Atari OR a
Commode-ore can come close to matching a DEC VAXstation...ahhh...bliss!

=)

Steve "Stevers!" Coile
{scoile|acs075}@gmuvax[{.BITNET|[2].gmu.edu}]|2211c1@gmuvax2.gmu.edu
"Maturity is knowing when and where to act immature"

REEVES@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Terry Reeves) (02/07/91)

OK, guys. Isn't it about time we nipped this ST vs. Amiga flame war in the bud.
I personally don't mind if you throw verbal megatonnage at each other, but by
posting it to a group other than comp.sys.jihad where this stuff belongs, you
have started to waste my time.

And now I intend to pour what I hope is the first bucket of cold water on the
discussion. When I purchased my machine (and I'm not telling which one I have),
I based my decision upon the amount of money I had to spend, what software I
could run, what machines were available to me on the day I purchased, what I
thought I could eventually do with it, etc. In short, I bought the machine that
I thought would give me the most bang for my dollar. Like any normal computer
nerd, I would have liked to have been able to have bought a better machine, but
then everyone wants a CRAY-PC. The simple fact is that I knew what were the
available options for me and I made my decision. I am not dumb or stupid. I
don't have a history of insanity. I made a sound decision and I have not
regretted it at all. Not even once. My machine has done everything that I have
needed or expected. And quite frankly, I resent someone who knows absolutely
nothing about my choice or the constraints that I was working within telling me
that I made an incredibly stupid choice. I did not.

Now, I read certain news groups to keep up with developments related to the
computer that I bought. In this way, I hope to learn about new upgrade options,
new software, what works, what doesn't, etc. In short, I seek to continue to
be able to make thoughtful, informed choices. These flame wars usually result
in nothing more than heat and noise. Illumination is one of the last things
that is ever found in one. If I really want to learn more about some other
machine, then I will do the most logical thing. I will start reading the news
group for that machine. I don't have the money or the inclination to change
computers at this time. And when I do, I will read the appropriate news group.
So please take your little war somewhere else, and let me get on with learning
about what I have.

                                                      Terry W. Reeves

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed above are my own. They do not reflect the
policies of SLAC, Stanford University, or the U.S. government.

hastoerm@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Moriland) (02/07/91)

In article <1991Feb6.205829.2142@daffy.cs.wisc.edu> carter@cat27.cs.wisc.edu (Gregory Carter) writes:
}Best regards, Dr. Peter Kittel  // E-Mail to  \\  Only my personal opinions...
}Commodore Frankfurt, Germany  \X/ {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmger!peterk
}
}
}------------------------------------------------------------------------------
}
[...]

Who cares Greg, take it back to your own newsgroup..

						--Moriland

--
| hastoerm@vela.acs.oakland.edu |    __                                |
|                               | __/// Viva Amiga!                    |

In article <1991Feb6.205829.2142@daffy.cs.wisc.edu> carter@cat27.cs.wisc.edu (Gregory Carter) writes:
> [talking about me:]
>Notice the third word in the paragraph...OPINION.  Obviously this man
>never EVER owned an ST.

Yes, you're completely right. And to tell the truth: I only realized
after posting that this would also go to c.s.atari.st. Oh boy, I'll
rush right out and search for some flame-proof asbestos suit.

So, in all public: I didn't intend to bash on Atari, I just uttered
my personal, VERY biased, impressions and opinions. If I hurt
someone, then I apologize.

PEACE!

But some items are indeed facts:

>As for sales, thats funny, a German friend on my floor says thats all there
>are in Germany is Atari's with a few Amiga's sprinkled here and there???

That was true until ca. 2 years ago, today it's like I said.

>Atari has very healthy markets abroad and just like commodore, Atari has
>yet to take advantage of the USA market.

Yes.

PEACE! PEACE! PAX!

dac@ukc.ac.uk (David Clear) (02/07/91)

In article <1991Feb6.163205.6683@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> gl8f@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) writes:
>If you want to decide which machine to buy, your best bet is to go to
>your local dealer and compare. Read magazine reviews. Don't start a
>flamewar.

Agreed. I mailed the original poster with some advice, quoting the good and
bad points of both machines. In the end I didn't recommend he get one machine,
but I game him points to think about for both machines. It's his money and
just because you like your machine for your uses doesn't mean it's suitable
for him. Saying "a is better than b" doesn't really help. No machine is better
than another machine on all points. Owning one machine and never looking at
the competition is a taking a very blinkered view on the industry. You end up
being a die-hard owner of one machine, never even considering buying
"the rival" systems.

Please mail the original poster and not post to this newsgroup. Most of
us have had years of "a is better than b" and are sick of it. It never gets
us anywhere and it in fact projects a childish attitude from both camps. It
also wastes bandwidth. Do not do this, it is wrong.

David.

news@cs.Helsinki.FI (news) (02/07/91)

From: luoto@cs.Helsinki.FI (Markku Luoto)

- it's faster !!
- better connections
- better software (calamus SL is the only hard core DTP-prog. for pc:s)
- more user support (pd librarys/ pd prog)
but
- amiga games use the hardware resouces better...and that's about it

-----------------> of course I'm talking about TT030/8, st stands for...
-------------------------------------------------->....Second To...TT

rrd@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ray Depew) (02/07/91)

Oh, puleeeeez!

Here we go again....

-- Ray (putting on flameproof suit and very dark glasses)

cr1@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Anubis) (02/07/91)

In article <1991Feb6.205829.2142@daffy.cs.wisc.edu> carter@cat27.cs.wisc.edu (Gregory Carter) writes:
>Notice the third word in the paragraph...OPINION.  Obviously this man
>never EVER owned an ST.  I would contend, that after the equavalent ad ons
>such as a color board/graphics card, in Europe which there are many,
>the ST would look just as nice as an AMIGA machine.
First of all, the add ons you are talking about are hard to impossible
to get in the US.
Second of all, the add ons that you are talking about are either specialty
items for people who want to work in graphics (and thus have very limited
support) or are not as great as you are making them out to be.

I have an Atari ST with a JRI 4096 color board.  Big deal, I have 4096
color pallette.  I can't display all of them at once like I can on my
Amiga 3000.

>As for sales, thats funny, a German friend on my floor says thats all there
>are in Germany is Atari's with a few Amiga's sprinkled here and there???

Amiga is doing quite well overseas.  Atari is doing well from what I
hear, but I've also heard that they are failing in support and are
being sold mostly as game machines.

Atari in the US has almost no support at all.

>Atari has very healthy markets abroad and just like commodore, Atari has
>yet to take advantage of the USA market.

Atari take advantage of the US market?! HAHAHAHAHA!  Don't be so absurd!
You know full well that it will never happen.  Atari has lost their chance.
Software companies are stopping their support, dealers are switching computers
or going out of business...How many Atari owners live near an Atari dealer?

>If you want to do word processing, I hardly think you would have time to
>play a game at the same time.  As for multi tasking, Atari multitasks
>REALISTICALLY.  That is, if you want to print something out, or download
>something or do something else like play music that doesn't require
>your constant interaction there are plenty of options available to help you
>do these things in the background so you don't waste time so you can do
>something else..like play games.
>
>Really, multitasking is WAY overplayed by AMIGA people.  They are not
>the only people who have multi tasking machines, its just that workbench
>supports this option automatically.  While on the ST its an add on.

Here again is the words of someone who has never had a multitasking
machine. First of all, the Amiga OS multitasks, but that is probably
what you meant.  You can't 'add on' multitasking to the ST, so stop
decieving this poor guy who is trying to find out information.  You
can use things like Revolver to stop one memory partition and switch
to another. this is not multitasking because you are doing one thing.
YOu can use things like Masterlink (hahaha...if they ever come out
with another version) to download in the backround, but that is pretty
much the extent of it.  You are alwasy very limited.  And don't breath
to hard while you are doing this, you might crash it!

I suggest anyone who is thinking of buying an ST look at the support
available for both machines and DO use both machines.  Take it from
someone who owns both...You DON'T want to buy an Atari.

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=That is not dead which may eternal lie-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
*     Christoper Roth                    *   The Pyramid BBS (904)373-3989

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (02/08/91)

In article <3389@gmuvax2.gmu.edu> scoile@gmuvax2.UUCP (Steve Coile) writes:
>Ever notice how it's always the Amiga owners who feel the need to press
>their Amiga-ST flame wars over to comp.sys.atari.st??  You'd think if
                               [...]
No, that's not true, although it might appear that way some times.  What
usually happens is the same thing that happened this time:

Someone who doesn't know anything about either computer crossposts a
request for comparisons, and the denisons of both groups respond in an
escalating spiral of verbal hostilities.  In each group it looks like the
other group is doing all the attacks, and it takes a long time for everyone
to calm down.

I think that a brief show of respect for each other will make life more
enjoyable for us all over the next week or two.

If anyone wants to actually argue there is an amiga group set aside for
that (note the followup).  Otherwise let's try to be civil to one another
while this crossposting nonsense wears off.

--
            _.
--Steve   ._||__      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own.

dsherif@csserv2.ic.sunysb.edu (Darin D Sheriff) (02/08/91)

In article <1991Feb6.205829.2142@daffy.cs.wisc.edu> carter@cat27.cs.wisc.edu (Gregory Carter) writes:
>Best regards, Dr. Peter Kittel  // E-Mail to  \\  Only my personal opinions...
>Commodore Frankfurt, Germany  \X/ {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmger!peterk
>
>Writes: ...
>
>	In my opinion, STs are nice, simple machines with a good monochrome
>display and a nice, but limited OS; Amiga is a more complex machine
>with a powerfull, state-of-the-art OS and far better colour capabilities.
>And when regarding current sales figures, Amiga is the machine of
>the future, I wouldn't too much on Ataris in this aspect.

>Notice the third word in the paragraph...OPINION.  Obviously this man
>never EVER owned an ST.  I would contend, that after the equavalent ad ons
>such as a color board/graphics card, in Europe which there are many,
>the ST would look just as nice as an AMIGA machine.

This may be true but equivalent add ons cost money.

>As for sales, thats funny, a German friend on my floor says thats all there
>are in Germany is Atari's with a few Amiga's sprinkled here and there???

The OPINIONS of one German friend does not mean that this is automatically
true.  I have heard MANY reports from others to the contrary.

>Atari has very healthy markets abroad and just like commodore, Atari has
>yet to take advantage of the USA market.

Atari had it's shot at the USA market and failed.  (MY OPINION).  I do not
know the situation in Europe (except Germany :-)) so will not comment.

(stuff deleted)

>Really, multitasking is WAY overplayed by AMIGA people.  They are not

This is obviously from someone who has never owned or used an Amiga for
any apreciable length of time.

>the only people who have multi tasking machines, its just that workbench
>supports this option automatically.  While on the ST its an add on.
>
>---Gregory
Good for you.  Have you added it on yet?  I bet it costs extra.
Please take this to comp.sys.amiga.advocacy.
--
Darin Sheriff.  One of the few, the proud, an Amiga 1000 owner.
A computer:  A machine that enables one to make twice as many mistakes

glmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Matt Crowd) (02/08/91)

>}Really, multitasking is WAY overplayed by AMIGA people.  They are not
>}the only people who have multi tasking machines, its just that workbench
>}supports this option automatically.  While on the ST its an add on.
>}
>}---Gregory

Workbench is NOT the heart of the multi-tasking system, the OS does the
work SO don't call workbench the OS, AmigaDOS is the OS.

matt crowd.

dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann) (02/08/91)

In article <1991Feb7.222920.13058@santra.uucp> s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) writes:

>AMIGA-USERS, GET THE HELL OUT OF THIS NEWSGROUP!!!!

Gee, Wally.  I thought this was an Amiga news group.  Check out the
Newsgroups line, bucko.  This was cross-posted to comp.sys.amiga.misc, too.

> [lots of personal opinions deleted]
>	*** Jari Lehto, jartsu@otax.hut.fi, s37837k@saha.hut.fi ***

Followups to alt.flame, please.
--
Dave Schaumann      | DANGER: Access hole may tear easily.  Use of the access
dave@cs.arizona.edu | carton and subsequent injury to the user.

s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) (02/08/91)

In article <26769@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> cr1@beach.cis.ufl.edu () writes:
>I have an Atari ST with a JRI 4096 color board.  Big deal, I have 4096
>color pallette.  I can't display all of them at once like I can on my
>Amiga 3000.

Hey, get a TT or MegaSTE 4 if you are going to do comparings like that.
I am not either comparing my 16MHz 4Mb ST to C64!!!!

>Amiga is doing quite well overseas.  Atari is doing well from what I
>hear, but I've also heard that they are failing in support and are
>being sold mostly as game machines.

In Europe, especially Germany, and UK, and France too, Atari is doing
wery well indeed. Atari is the #1 computer in Germany. And #2 in Finland.
#1 is Amiga, over 80% of users are kids playing games, but almost the
same percentage of Atari-users use their machines for studying & productivity.

>Atari in the US has almost no support at all.

That is a well-known and unfortunate fact. Hope MegaSTE and TT will go better.

>Atari take advantage of the US market?! HAHAHAHAHA!  Don't be so absurd!
>You know full well that it will never happen.  Atari has lost their chance.
>Software companies are stopping their support, dealers are switching computers
>or going out of business...How many Atari owners live near an Atari dealer?

A 3000 never did those headlines as TT and MegaSTE! If you keep up laughing
like that in here, we'll laugh you out! Kill!

>Here again is the words of someone who has never had a multitasking
>machine. First of all, the Amiga OS multitasks, but that is probably
>what you meant.  You can't 'add on' multitasking to the ST, so stop
>decieving this poor guy who is trying to find out information.

Have ever used Atari under Unix? I have. Compared to that, Amiga's
multitasking is like dancing in a chamber full of sticky honey...

>I suggest anyone who is thinking of buying an ST look at the support
>available for both machines and DO use both machines.  Take it from
>someone who owns both...You DON'T want to buy an Atari.

I also use both machines, I am even a co-sysop in a well known Amiga-BBS.
My opinion is that unless you have loads of money, you can't get yourself
a Amiga that has much future ahead.

Get TT or MegaSTE. Or Mac. Or 386/486 +Win3 (or Unix & X-Win).

Atari-users do it firST, and are hoTTest in STEady markets...

			Jartsu

	*** Jari Lehto, jartsu@otax.hut.fi, s37837k@saha.hut.fi ***

rjc@geech.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) (02/08/91)

In article <1991Feb7.222920.13058@santra.uucp> s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) writes:

>AMIGA-USERS, GET THE HELL OUT OF THIS NEWSGROUP!!!!
>
>or I will definitely come and mess up yours with hundreds of articles
>filled with the same kind of shit you've written here...

  Take a look at the header. You've already done that. These articles
were CROSS-POSTED meaning both groups get this crap. The Amiga gets it by
far the most with the Mac vs Amiga, ST vs Amiga, NeXT vs Amiga flames that
pop up constantly.

>Buy an Atari. There are few big advantage above others:
>
>	ST/TT-users are definitely not like those fanatic maniacs that
>	would defend a jar filled with shit, if there is the word Amiga
>	printed on it...

  You mean like you?

>	ST/TT-users don't attack people who dare to use a computer that
>	is something else than ST/TT. They are a one big happy family
>	that gives advice to everyone without asking what computer they
>	use, or if they are using any...

 Yeah right. Dream on. On local bbses in my area, there are ST users that
call AMIGA boards to start wars. Every computer has its example of fanatics,
and your a fine example.

>	ST/TT users don't deal people to groups according to their skills
>	in computing. In Amigaworld, those mystical expert-user groups with
>	mostly under-aged users in charge hide behind funny names and
>	keep their organizations up by buying other people's souls using
>	pirate-software as a currency.

 Hahhaha! The ST has more rampant piracy than any computer in existence!
In Europe there are hundreds of ST pirate groups.

>So, I think there is nothing wrong in the machine itself, it is just ment for
>a bit different kind of use that ST. But there are users that make Amiga
>look dirty. (there are such ST users also, but we wont let them loose...)

  Oh sure, I bet all those ST pirates/fanatic obey you fully. How do you
propose to keep st users from 'letting lose'?
  People will do as they please.

>I don't care which machine you buy, Amiga is an expensive toy and Atari,
>especially with latest releases, is rather a cheap tool.

   Hahah...The ST has an even bigger game image then the Amiga! Get real.

>Do you know any serious, famous musician using Amiga? I don't.
>Do you know any serious, famous musician using Atari? I do, in fact too many
>							to count...

  B.B. King!
Lets rephase this question:
Do you know any serious, famous video/movie company using the Atari for Video?
Do you know any serious, famous video/movie company using the Amiga for Video?
Tons.  Whats the biggest rage in the Video world? The Video Toaster!

Th Amiga has better sound than the ST. The only thing the ST has is
MIDI. Granted there is not much MIDI software on the Amiga's market,however
the few packages that are availible are powerful. You can multitask
Sequencers, Arrangers, Composers, and Video all at the same time, and
synchronize Music to Video.
The Amiga could be used to produce a music video, the ST could not.

I used to use an ST everyday (at a friends house, to play games) He tried to
get me to buy an ST. When I bought my Amiga, within a week his ST was up
for sale, now he owns an A2000.

>			Jartsu

Was I obnoxious? Yes..But I am SICK and TIRED of these constant
XXX vs Amiga flames (except when they are in .advocacy!)

If ST users wish to continue this, please join comp.sys.amiga.advocacy,
and remove c.s.atari.st and c.s.amiga.misc from the newsgroups line.

In article <1991Feb8.001307.14535@santra.uucp> s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) writes:

>Here is the kind of opinion I like to read.
>Of course ST is second to TT, but the difference becomes very small,
>after I have made business with Mr. Small:
>My ST will RUN with the high speed of 33MHz offered by 68030 and using
>all of it's 12Mb of RAM...
>Wait until it is 50MHz and 36Mb RAM....
>A-3000, why so pale?

	As long as you are cross-posting misleading information
(if you didn't realize, look at the Newsgroups: line of your
message, you sent into to both ST and Amiga groups), let me
`clarify' things.

	True, the A3000 is only 25MHz, although you can go to
18MB on the motherboard and more on cards. However the 33MHz on
your ST is NOT from Atari, but rather with 3rd party equipment.
Therefore it is fair to consider what can be done on the Amiga
with 3rd party equipment, and for appr. 8 months GVP has been
shipping a 50MHz 030 card for the Amiga 2000, so you don't have
to wait.
	Besides, once the 040 starts getting more widespread
50MHz 030s will be a dead issue. The 040 will be the hot issue
and the Amiga (and I assume the Atari too) will be getting addon
boards probably within 3 months.

>			Jartsu
>
>	TT, the emperor of comp-world, and the high council of STs and STEs
>	supporting its every opinion!
>

>	*** Jari Lehto, jartsu@otax.hut.fi, s37837k@saha.hut.fi ***

	Hehe, nah, I won't say it. 8-)

	-- Ethan

Q:	What's the definition of a Quayle?

A:	Two right wings and no backbone.

carter@cat27.cs.wisc.edu (Gregory Carter) (02/08/91)

writes:

>}Really, multitasking is WAY overplayed by AMIGA people.  They are not
>}the only people who have multi tasking machines, its just that workbench
>}supports this option automatically.  While on the ST its an add on.
>}
>}---Gregory

Ok, I am sorry, I am a dorkus, I will stop wasting your time with a machine
nobody even cares about on this group.

matt crowd.

Ok Matt, glad to see you came to your senses!

--Gregory

PS: I make no judgements on what I just did only that its funnier than all
    hell! :)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

rjc@geech.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) (02/08/91)

In article <1991Feb8.001307.14535@santra.uucp> s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) writes:
>In article <11431@hydra.Helsinki.FI> news@cs.Helsinki.FI (news) writes:
>>From: luoto@cs.Helsinki.FI (Markku Luoto)
>>
>>- it's faster !!
>>- better connections
>>- better software (calamus SL is the only hard core DTP-prog. for pc:s)
>>- more user support (pd librarys/ pd prog)
>>but
>>- amiga games use the hardware resouces better...and that's about it
>>
>>-----------------> of course I'm talking about TT030/8, st stands for...
>>-------------------------------------------------->....Second To...TT
>Here is the kind of opinion I like to read.
>Of course ST is second to TT, but the difference becomes very small,
>after I have made business with Mr. Small:
>My ST will RUN with the high speed of 33MHz offered by 68030 and using
>all of it's 12Mb of RAM...
>Wait until it is 50MHz and 36Mb RAM....
>A-3000, why so pale?

  Your ignorance of the Amiga is shown by the complete bullsh*t you
continually post!
  The Amiga has PLENTY of 33mhz and even 50mhz 68030 cards availible.
They have been availible for a long time! and unlike the ST, the
Amiga's OS doesn't crash 68030s! (TOS won't run on 68030's without a patch
because of the privileges instructions it uses).

  The Amiga 3000 can hold 18mb of ram on the motherboard and is expandible
to 1.7 gigs!

>	TT, the emperor of comp-world, and the high council of STs and STEs
>	supporting its every opinion!
  Are you an idiot or did someone steal your account? This is complete
childish drivel! I bet the TT hasn't sold 1000 units yet. Not to mention
that lots of software won't run on it.

>	*** Jari Lehto, jartsu@otax.hut.fi, s37837k@saha.hut.fi ***

greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) (02/08/91)

[Sorry for the followup, net.public, but this guy bugs me.]

  writes:
>AMIGA-USERS, GET THE HELL OUT OF THIS NEWSGROUP!!!!

Er, did you bother to check the Newsgroups line?
BTW, here in c.s.amiga.* we have a newsgroup for this kind of stuff, so please
honor the Followup-To line.

>or I will definitely come and mess up yours with hundreds of articles
>filled with the same kind of shit you've written here...

...which is a great way to get your USENET access revoked.

>Buy an Atari. There are few big advantage above others:

The Atari _does_ have some advantages, but I Jari fails to mention any of them.

>	ST/TT-users are definitely not like those fanatic maniacs that
>	would defend a jar filled with shit, if there is the word Amiga
>	printed on it...

Well, so far this guy's making good on his threat -- and then some...

>	ST/TT-users don't attack people who dare to use a computer that
>	is something else than ST/TT. They are a one big happy family
>	that gives advice to everyone without asking what computer they
>	use, or if they are using any...

That may be true of most ST/TT owners, but I bet the net.public can name _one_
ST/TT owner who attacks owners of other computers.  [ :-) ] I think you'll
find the general c.s.amiga.* readers to be pretty decent, helpful people, too.

>	ST/TT users don't deal people to groups according to their skills
>	in computing. In Amigaworld, those mystical expert-user groups with
>	mostly under-aged users in charge hide behind funny names and
>	keep their organizations up by buying other people's souls using
>	pirate-software as a currency.

[This is the part that made me laugh, BTW.]
I don't see where this guy comes off saying something like this.  There are
no "mystical expert-user groups" in existance.  The users groups I've seen
and been a member of were all _very_ good about helping out new users.  The
group at my university has a small number of so-called "expert users" who are
happy to help out the novice users.  No exchange of pirated software occurs
at these meetings.  Such things are not only against the law, but they are
against the rules at the university and they are against the bylaws of the
club.

Frankly, (and to be truthful this is only hearsay) I have been told that the
about of piracy going on in the Atari market is much higher per capita.  It's
certianly nothing to brag about.

>So, I think there is nothing wrong in the machine itself, it is just ment for
>a bit different kind of use that ST. But there are users that make Amiga
>look dirty. (there are such ST users also, but we wont let them loose...)
>
>I don't care which machine you buy, Amiga is an expensive toy and Atari,
>especially with latest releases, is rather a cheap tool.

Correct.  The Amiga and the Atari are designed to do some things better than
other machines.  The BANG/BUCK ratio is about equal, IMHO.  If all I was
interested in was MIDI, I would have bought an Atari.  Since I'm interested
in music (usu. _not_ MIDI), video, real-time graphics applications, etc., I
bought an Amiga.  I paid more, and I feel that I made the right choice.

BUT THAT WAS MY CHOICE!  DON'T THINK THAT I AM TRYING TO DICTATE TO YOU WHAT
MACHINE IS BEST!

>Do you know any serious, famous musician using Amiga? I don't.

I'd have to check back in a few recent c.s.amiga.* posts, but I believe I
heard something about Robert Plant and someone else using the Amiga for MIDI.
I also heard something about a musician who dropped his Mac system and
bought into the Amiga in order to produce his music video.  [Someone who
remembers this better than I please help me out here.]

>Do you know any serious, famous musician using Atari? I do, in fact too many
>							to count...

I know of a few musicians using Ataris.  I know of a whole helluva lot of them
using the Mac.  Why, you say, would someone use a Mac for MIDI?  Well, there
_is_ a lot of _very_ decent MIDI software available for it.  I don't think
it's an exaggeration to say that the Mac could do MIDI as well or better than
the ST or Amiga, simply because the software developer makes more money from
the Mac market and decides to work harder on updates, etc.  The advantage to
using an Amiga or ST is the low price.

BTW, replace the words "famous musician" in your questions with the following
and ask them again.  These may make you realize that the Amiga and the Atari
are not competitors simply because they do _different_ things.

1) cable company
2) video effects engineer
3) home video fanatic
4) movie effects crew
5) world-wide news network
6) virtual reality designer

For the Amiga, I can provide some answers...

1) Too many to name.  For one, Austin Cablevision here in Austin, TX.
2) Again, too many to name.
3) Ditto for #3.
4) The infamous Robocop 2 scenes that apparently got cut, for one.
5) CNN.  [Yes, the familiar "Cleared by U.S./British/Israeli/Iraqi Military,"
          along with the rest of the genlocked graphics, are done by an Amiga.]
6) Quite a few.  Post anything about VR and see what percentage of people
   interested are using Amigas.  I'll be on the list...

Anyway, my point is that both machines have their good points.  Please don't
post saying that the ST/TT is "so much better" and proceed to list a lot of
BS points that are supposedly bad about the Amiga.

I've been carrying on a nice, rather educational conversation with an Atari
owner for quite some time.  I have learned quite a bit about the Atari, and
I know its good points.  I also hope I've supplied some useful/educational
info on the Amiga to this person.  All in all, I don't think either one of
us feels "superior" or "envious" about the other's machine.

Outrageous flaming is not a way to deal with the differences between machines.
Please stop using this tactic.

Greg
--
-------Greg-Harp-------greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu-------s609@cs.utexas.edu-------
"Confutatis maledictus                "When the accursed have been counfounded

gjh@hplb.hpl.hp.com (Graham Higgins) (02/08/91)

Well said.

One of my favourite cartoons shows two guys standing beside a new car (shown
from the rear) on a garage forecourt. Obviously, salesman and prospective
customer. The salesman is saying "Well, they *were* going to call it the
GT-XLi-TC. but they decided to stop pussyfooting around." On the rear end of
the car, there is a marque", written in that stylish chunky but slightly
sloping font, "Mine's better than yours, nyahh!".

Come on guys, someone's ringing your bell.

Graham
======

Graham Higgins             	|  Phone: (0272) 799910 x 24060
Hewlett-Packard Labs    	|  gjh%ghiggins@hpl.hp.co.uk
Bristol                       	|  gjh%ghiggins@hplb.hpl.hp.com
U.K.                          	|
Disclaimer: My opinions above are exactly that, mine and opinions.

gaudreau@juggler.East.Sun.COM (Joe Gaudreau - Sun BOS Software) (02/08/91)

Ahhemmm, Attention Please!  Cut It Out.  Please.

"Thank you for you support" (tm) :-)

Joe
-=-

PS - Besides, tech info should go to c.s.a.st.t... :-)

koleman@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Kurt "Koleman" Koller) (02/09/91)

Who was the geeeeen that stated that there were only a few Amigas in Germany,
while the ST is rampant.  I lived in Germany (Bonn) up until last year, and
even then there was a VERY BIG Amiga scene.  Far bigger than in the states.
Amiga is actually able to compete with IBM in MANY of the European countries.
The ST and Amiga have very similar presence in Germany.  And since I've left,
the ST market share has dropped considerably.

Also, if we talk about other countries I visited in the area:

   France:   Lot's o Amigas.
   Denmark:  Lots o' Amigas.
   Sweden:   Very lots o' Amigas.

I would have to say that in these 3 countries, the ST was far outnumbered.  I
went to big "pirate parties" in France, one of which was busted by the "French
Software Police."  It was a gas.  The ST has groups with similar parties, but
the piracy is much HIGHER among the ST community.  This comes from 3 different
dealers in Germany, and 1 in Denmark, all of which have had to compete with
outfits that SELL pirated software over the counter.  Like B.Dalton's Software
Etc....  But the laws are a changing.  One of my friends from Germany just
informed me a few months ago that Germany now has Software Laws as well.  The
people were upset that it also restricted people copying in a party-like way,
not just the selling.  Amazingly different attitude over there...

Kurt "Koleman" Koller
UUCP: {crash tcnet}!orbit!pnet51!koleman
INET: koleman@pnet51.orb.mn.org

s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) (02/10/91)

In article <1991Feb9.213904.782@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> rjc@churchy.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:

> Hahaha.. You sure do like pulling statistics and numbers out of thin air.
>More Commodore C64's were sold last year than Atari's sell in 2 years.
>(700,000 C64s sold in Europe) This comes from CBM's finnancial report
>from the WSJ. Atari's are used exclusively for games far more than
>Amiga's. Amiga's are bought primary for their video and multitasking
>capability. Games don't utilitize multitasking (most of them). An
>Amiga user may play a game once in a while, but thats not all he does.
>When you have awesome video capability, you use it.

You have pulled your brains out of thin air! C64 is more a console than
a computer...
These statistics are waterproof, and they describe the situation in Germany
and Finland, not worldwide. I thought you can read. Leave the C64 out of this,
it is same as when I talk about logs, you talk about toothpicks.
Leave those hahaha things out of your article. You might be taken seriously
if they wouldn't be there...

>  Once again pure bullsh*t. The 3000 was on the cover of byte magazine!
>It was reviewed in the Wall Street Journal. The Amiga was rated
>'Best buy of 1990' by consumer reports magazine. Even PC magazine
>has tidbits about the Amiga in it.
>  Stop spreading misinformation, and stop making up rediculous
>statistics like 80% of Amiga's are used for games.

Hey dork, learn to read! I was not talking about U.S., but you refer all
the time to U.S. things...
HERE 80% of Amiga-users are pure gamers! This has been proved by official
investigations!!!

>  Atari under Unix? What the hell is this? You mean Minix? or do you
>mean an emulated Atari running on a Workstation? If the latter,
>this is a very poor example of multitasking. That method is called
>'virtual machines' (simular to what Windows does) which means Applications
>can't talk to each other or share data. If you mean Minix, Minix is
>a poor example of an OS. Try getting real unix like AT&T Unix SVR4 on the
>A3000.

I don't have A3000 or Minix either. I have used Atari under TRUE WORKING
FULLGROWN UNIX-OS! It was made in Germany. That ST had four terminal programs
running simultaneously, downoloading while previously downloaded files were
extracted simultaneously. All processes visible in X-Win type g-environment.

>  Once again, bullcrap. I can buy an A500 for $499 that outclasses the
>normal ST. For $1200 you can get an Amiga2000 which will service all your
>expansion needs for a long time!
>  For someone who supposedly uses both machines, you know nothing about
>the Amiga. I'd leave you alone if you'd start spouting total
>misinformation and statistics about the Amiga.

You read too much between non-existing lines! I wouldn't dare to write here
anything that hasn't been checked to be solid. Those statistics are, but
THEY ARE NOT, ONCE AGAIN, TAKEN FROM USA'S SITUATION!!! I think I know things
about European markets little better than you. You live in a country, where
everyone doesn't even know where Finland is!!!

>>Get TT or MegaSTE. Or Mac. Or 386/486 +Win3 (or Unix & X-Win).
> ^^^^^^ Yea, if you could actually BUY one in the US.
>  What's the point? a 68030 system with no multitasking. Atari is the
>only company who hasn't released an 'official' multitasking kludge for
>their computer. Mac has system 7/multifinder, 386/486 has OS/2 and Windows
>and Unix. The Amiga has what it had since 1985.

I don't get it. Is multitasking some kind of religion to you? You don't
propably even buy a pen, unless it multitasks...
I have often found multitasking (specially in Unix) more confusing than useful.
Human beings can not concentrate to more than one task at a time.
Buy If I want to multitask, I'll do it. I have a true multitasking OS for
my ST. One of my Amiga-using friens said that it is better than Amiga's.
Again something made in Germany. Hope those never get there, because there
are so many people like you, who are too biassed to understand anything
strange and new.

>  Seriously. The Atari's niche is MIDI. You don't need fast CPUs for
>MIDI(atleast not above 16mhz). The Amiga's niche is multitasking
>and video which does demand faster CPUs. (real time video, compression,
>ray tracing).
>  I have nothing personal against STs. If I need MIDI I'd buy one. But
>personally, I am hooked on multitasking and can't do without it. Also
>since I work with Unix, the fact that AmigaDOS is simular to Unix
>makes it attractive.

Good enough MIDI-software needs fast CPUs. I am about to go for 33MHz.
You are the first Amiga-user that is proven to be a multitasking-maniac.
I know about 60 Amiga-users, 10 of them are my good friends...
They either have nothing agaist ST, some of them even use one frequently.
My opinion is that Amiga is a master of graphics and soud, but it is not
very handy in word-processing, DTP or things like that. OPINION!

>  What are you, a Marketroid? You are welcome to live in your
>own little dream world, but IBMs are still the hottest computers
>with a SOLID market.

Intel's unhealthy marketing policy will take IBM & clones with it sooner
or later. I have no dream world, I live in the real world but with your
attitude to other people you should close yourself to your own world...
I prefer rational discussion to flaming...

But let's drop this shit. Peace is far more comfortable. We have thrown
enough flames to each other's face now. Let's stop before it is too late.

BTW, PCs are the most unuserfriendly machines I have seen. I think Mac is
something special. But if you really want something cool, get NeXT or
Sun SPARCstation. Those are far more superior than any of these Atari- and
Commodore-toys discussed here...  ***OPINION AGAIN!!!***

			Jartsu

	*** Jari Lehto, jartsu@otax.hut.fi, s37837k@saha.hut.fi ***

glmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Matt Crowd) (02/11/91)

>I don't get it. Is multitasking some kind of religion to you? You don't

>I have often found multitasking (specially in Unix) more confusing than useful.

>Human beings can not concentrate to more than one task at a time.

>			Jartsu

Those statements just go to show the kind of Lamers you guys really
are.

matt crowd.

jph@ais.org (Joseph Hillenburg) (02/11/91)

In article <A0b0moog@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca> jhenders@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca writes:
>In <1991Feb10.073020.9858@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu>, Ray Cromwell writes:
>>In article <1991Feb10.023415.8641@santra.uucp> s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) writes:
>>>In article <1991Feb9.213904.782@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> rjc@churchy.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:

[...]
>>  This must be a 'hacked' up port. I'm not aware of an official
>>Atari AT&T Unix port yet. (Unix has to be licensed, it costs lots of $$$
>>for the source). Besides, the Amiga can do everything you mentioned above.
>>(i've downloaded and extracted simulatenously, vied GIF pics, formatted
>>disks, etc)
>
>	Again you show a lack of any knowledge about Unix on the TT. Just
>as Amiga Unix was out in Universities this fall in beta test, so now
>Atari Unix is out in Europe under beta. This is a real SVR4 port done
>by a company contracted to Atari to do the port. It will be (or is)
>running X-Desktop and who knows when we'll see it in North America.

Heehee...Atari couldn't do the port themselves? Atari CAN'T do well in
North America. They've shot their reputation all to hell here. And they're
loosing it in Europe. Atari is the ONLY company that I know of that fucked
upward compatability up because they used an illegal instruction. (With the
exception of Tandy.)

[...]
>>>I don't get it. Is multitasking some kind of religion to you? You don't
>>>propably even buy a pen, unless it multitasks...
>>>I have often found multitasking (specially in Unix) more confusing than useful.

Well, for me, and most Amiga users (if not all) multitasking blends right in.
I couldn't stand a single-tasking machine, and thats one of the MANY reasons
why I won't be caught dead owning a PC or Mac.

>>>Human beings can not concentrate to more than one task at a time.
>>>Buy If I want to multitask, I'll do it. I have a true multitasking OS for
>>>my ST. One of my Amiga-using friens said that it is better than Amiga's.
>>>Again something made in Germany. Hope those never get there, because there
>>>are so many people like you, who are too biassed to understand anything
>>>strange and new.

Yes, but it costs. We get it FREE, and it works. WHERE it's made is no
concern, unless you refer to the Soviet Union, where the public technological
level is near zilch.

[...]

To actually display the video/sound doesn't require a fast CPU. Just lots and
lots of RAM. The rendering, etc requires the RAM.

>>>Good enough MIDI-software needs fast CPUs. I am about to go for 33MHz.
>>>You are the first Amiga-user that is proven to be a multitasking-maniac.
>>>I know about 60 Amiga-users, 10 of them are my good friends...
>>>They either have nothing agaist ST, some of them even use one frequently.
>>>My opinion is that Amiga is a master of graphics and soud, but it is not
>>>very handy in word-processing, DTP or things like that. OPINION!

Really? Neither the ST or Amiga is word processing machines, DTP, maybe but
The ST's best DTP program is also out for the Amiga.

[...]
>>>BTW, PCs are the most unuserfriendly machines I have seen. I think Mac is
>>>something special. But if you really want something cool, get NeXT or
>>>Sun SPARCstation. Those are far more superior than any of these Atari- and
>>>Commodore-toys discussed here...  ***OPINION AGAIN!!!***

When the '040's are available in mass quantities, an Amiga will eat a
NeXT or SPARCstation I for lunch.

[Lots of boring .sigs deleted]

--
   //   Joseph Hillenburg, Secretary, Bloomington Amiga Users Group
 \X/  joseph@valnet.UUCP     jph@irie.ais.org          jph@ai.mit.edu

colas@lemur.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) (02/11/91)

Facts About European sales figures:
For France, where I live, ST sold better than Amigas till the end of 89, and now
the figures have been reversed (amiga sold better than STs). Since mid-90,
the amiga sales have raised tremendoulsy since the amiga 500 price went down to
exactly the price of an ST. Prices of add-ons (memory, drives, etc..) were
ridiculously high for the ami till last year when they drop to ST level, and
even lower now.

I have read too that now in the UK that the amiga is the most installed (and the
most sold I think) of ALL micros (including C64, etc...).

As for flame wars, I owned an ST and an amiga, and I would advise people to
determine themselves by the software they want to run. The only "business"
application I use is a videotex emulator, and no good ones exist on the ami, but
very nice ones (ZZ-COMM) exist on the ST, I am planning to buy a ST-emulator on
my ami to run it.
There are also very nice unix terminal emulators (term83) unavailable on the
amiga, due to the nice mono screen of the ST.

But since now I mostly play games, the amiga is way ahead in this aera... so it
all boils down to what you want to do with your computer.

--
Colas Nahaboo, colas@sa.inria.fr, Bull Research, Koala Project, GWM X11 WM
Phone:(33) 93.65.77.70(.66 Fax), INRIA, B.P.109 - 06561 Valbonne Cedex, FRANCE.

s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) (02/12/91)

In article <BY%-29_@irie.ais.org> jph@ais.org (Joseph Hillenburg) writes:

>Heehee...Atari couldn't do the port themselves? Atari CAN'T do well in
>North America. They've shot their reputation all to hell here. And they're
>loosing it in Europe. Atari is the ONLY company that I know of that fucked
>upward compatability up because they used an illegal instruction. (With the
>exception of Tandy.)

Laugh it up, jerk. Can you do it? Why not use a third party if they can do
it better?
Being an Amiga-user does not give you the right to insult the name of Atari,
even that I kind of agree your opinion. I don't either have any right to
insult Amiga, and why to insult A GOOD MACHINE?

>Well, for me, and most Amiga users (if not all) multitasking blends right in.
>I couldn't stand a single-tasking machine, and thats one of the MANY reasons
>why I won't be caught dead owning a PC or Mac.

I wouldn't get a PC (486 & UNIX is an exception) either. Mac, maybe,
multifinder is good enough for me, and Mac definitely is poverful enough
for most of us! I would get myself a A3000, if it would not be so hell expen-
sive in here. (Finland) But NeXT and Sun and Atari TT ARE real competitors!

>Yes, but it costs. We get it FREE, and it works. WHERE it's made is no
>concern, unless you refer to the Soviet Union, where the public technological
>level is near zilch.

Free Amiga? Where? I want one now!!! Do not even mention Soviet Union here,
we have enough trouble because it being our neighbour...

>To actually display the video/sound doesn't require a fast CPU. Just lots and
>lots of RAM. The rendering, etc requires the RAM.

If we need RAM, we go and get RAM!

>Really? Neither the ST or Amiga is word processing machines, DTP, maybe but
>The ST's best DTP program is also out for the Amiga.

Calamus for Amiga? Then you definitely need better display than the standard
Amiga has...
Calamus for Amiga? Haven't heard such thing...

>When the '040's are available in mass quantities, an Amiga will eat a
>NeXT or SPARCstation I for lunch.

Well see about that! Amiga with 040 will be so expensive that it will never
be a real alternative... NeXT is very reasonable priced, it is cheaper than
A3000!!!
(If I get myself a NeXT here, it will cost about 18.000,- FIM. I can't
get a good-enough A3000 package under 23.000,- FIM...)

			Jartsu

	*** Jari Lehto, jartsu@otax.hut.fi, s37837k@saha.hut.fi ***

Shoulda known when I started getting behind in this newsgroup it was
'cause a flame war was going on, nothing else ever generates nearly
as much traffic...    }-)

In article <26769@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> cr1@beach.cis.ufl.edu () writes:
>Here again is the words of someone who has never had a multitasking
>machine. First of all, the Amiga OS multitasks, but that is probably
>what you meant.  You can't 'add on' multitasking to the ST, so stop
>decieving this poor guy who is trying to find out information.  You
>can use things like Revolver to stop one memory partition and switch
>to another. this is not multitasking because you are doing one thing.
>YOu can use things like Masterlink (hahaha...if they ever come out
>with another version) to download in the backround, but that is pretty
>much the extent of it.  You are alwasy very limited.  And don't breath
>to hard while you are doing this, you might crash it!

You're really confused here. There is nothing in the ST hardware that
prevents it from multitasking. You can add various hooks into the ST
OS to allow pre-emptive multitasking. That's what MicroRTX does, or
MiNT, or MX2. All of these packages work, though they present varying
degrees of Unix-flavor. Contrary to your belief, this is real multitasking,
and all three of these programs maintain TOS compatibility. It's not
very thrilling on an 8MHz 68000, but it works.
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan

Flame all you want - we'll take more.