[comp.sys.atari.st] Flight Sims

jimomura@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Omura) (02/02/91)

     I've begun considering the purchase of a flight simulation program
for my 1040ST.  The only point I'm considering right now is which programs
are not distributed on copy protected floppies.  That is to say I don't
mind "lookup something in the manual" type protection or "dongle"
protection, but I refuse to buy a program distributed on a floppy that
cannot be backed up.  So far I've had "Falcon" recommended.  Are
there any others I should consider?
--
Jim Omura, 2A King George's Drive, Toronto, (416) 652-3880
lsuc!jimomura

erkamp@arc.ab.ca (Bob Erkamp) (02/05/91)

I can strongly recommend Falcon. Various degrees of difficulty. Quite realisitic
Optional mission disks and my favourite Head to Head (over modem or using a
null modem cable at 19.2K Baud). My brother and I have played this and it is
truly a blast. F-19 is also quite a good game as well as Their Finest Hour.
If you want jet bombings/dogfights go with Falcon. If you want more strategy
and stealth get F-19 and if you like older planes with the option of flying
an assortment try Their Finest Hour (great replay option). As an aside you
might look at Gunship (Apache helicopter) and the rumoured Gunship 2000 (a
selection of helicopters).

Bob

gjh@hplb.hpl.hp.com (Graham Higgins) (02/05/91)

Try "Proflight" from U.K.'s Hisoft. Proportional mouse control, it *really*
flies --- and lands. Runs from HD & on SM124's. Seriously good.

Graham
======

Graham Higgins             	|  Phone: (0272) 799910 x 24060
Hewlett-Packard Labs    	|  gjh%ghiggins@hpl.hp.co.uk
Bristol                       	|  gjh%ghiggins@hplb.hpl.hp.com
U.K.                          	|
Disclaimer: My opinions above are exactly that, mine and opinions.

bill@mwca.UUCP (Bill Sheppard) (02/05/91)

In article <1991Feb1.235838.18571@lsuc.on.ca> jimomura@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Omura) writes:

>     I've begun considering the purchase of a flight simulation program
>for my 1040ST.  The only point I'm considering right now is which programs
>are not distributed on copy protected floppies...

Flight Simulator II from Sublogic has _no_ protection and can be hard disk
installed.  I saw a new one last week at B&C Computervision in Santa Clara,
Proflight from the U.K.  Big, heavy box, looks incredibly feature-packed,
mono or color.  Lets you be many planes, from Cessna to Tornado (recreate
the Gulf War!), don't know about protection. $64.95 I think.

#  Bill Sheppard  --  bills@microware.com  --  {uunet,sun}!mcrware!mwca!bill   #
#  Microware Systems Corporation  ---  OS-9: Seven generations beyond __/_!!   #
#######Opinions expressed are my own, though you'd be wise to adopt them!#######

In article <A0b07ue2@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca> jhenders@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca writes:
>...Also to be passed on, IMHO, are JET, and Chuck Yeager's
>Flight Simulator.

>          John Henders        jhenders@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca

What's wrong with Chuck Yeager's Flight Simulator?

#  Bill Sheppard  --  bills@microware.com  --  {uunet,sun}!mcrware!mwca!bill   #
#  Microware Systems Corporation  ---  OS-9: Seven generations beyond __/_!!   #
#######Opinions expressed are my own, though you'd be wise to adopt them!#######

schaper@pnet51.orb.mn.org (S Schaper) (02/06/91)

And how does Falcon compare with F-16 Combat Pilot
Zeitgeist Busters!
UUCP: {crash tcnet}!orbit!pnet51!schaper
INET: schaper@pnet51.orb.mn.org
           Aslan is on the move!

jimomura@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Omura) (02/13/91)

     As you will recall, the last message I posted reported that
the copy of Falcon I bought was copy protected.  This turns out
to be because I bought an "old stock" copy.  The later distributions
are not copy protected.  I called Spectrum HoloBytes yesterday
and they informed me that by returning the original disks to them,
they will replace it with the latest version.  So for the time
being, I'm stuck with the manual.  The current version of Falcon
is not copy protected, but requires a "Code Wheel" to be used.
This much will be quite satisfactory.

     One thing I've been wondering is whether there's any news
about STE based flight simulators that use proportional joysticks
yet?  This should be a major improvement in IO.  Of course, there
has been an analog joystick adapter for an RC flight simulator
for a long time now, but that program and joystick system was
very elaborate (based on a dual double gimbled joystick system
in an Futaba RC transmitter box) and as such quite expensive.
I've been considering buying that program and hardware kit so I
can have access to a proportional joystick system with my current
ST.

--

jhenders@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca (John Henders) (02/14/91)

In <1991Feb12.222644.6174@lsuc.on.ca>, Jim Omura writes:

>  I called Spectrum HoloBytes yesterday
>and they informed me that by returning the original disks to them,
>they will replace it with the latest version.
>So for the time being, I'm stuck with the manual.  The current
>version of Falcon is not copy protected, but requires a "Code Wheel"
>to be used. This much will be quite satisfactory.

	The current version also loads from a hard drive. I'm glad you
found SH as resposive as the feedback you got suggested.

>     One thing I've been wondering is whether there's any news
>about STE based flight simulators that use proportional joysticks
>yet?

	Your only solution so far is the Mouse-Stick (or whatever it's
called) from Gravis. This is reported on GEnie to be excellant for
Falcon, and also works to replace your mouse.

--
          John Henders        jhenders@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca
          Vancouver,B.C.      or jhenders@wimsey.bc.ca

gjh@hplb.hpl.hp.com (Graham Higgins) (02/14/91)

++ One thing I've been wondering is whether there's any news
++ about STE based flight simulators that use proportional joysticks
++ yet?  This should be a major improvement in IO.

Proflight, the Tornado fsim from UK's Hisoft uses the mouse to achieve
proportional control on an ordinary ST.

Major improvement in IO? - I believe so { <- litotes }.

Graham
======

Graham Higgins             	|  Phone: (0272) 799910 x 24060
Hewlett-Packard Labs    	|  gjh%ghiggins@hpl.hp.co.uk
Bristol                       	|  gjh%ghiggins@hplb.hpl.hp.com
U.K.                          	|
Disclaimer: My opinions above are exactly that, mine and opinions.

goo@hpindda.cup.hp.com (Michael Goo) (02/15/91)

Many flight sims (and other games...like StarGlider) can use the mouse to
simulate an analog stick (my personal favorite is F-19).  The problem is that
the mouse doesn't auto center very well and doesn't react well to quick
movements (essential when dogfighting).

One solution to this problem is the Gravis MouseStick.  It is a proportional
joystick that plugs into a smart adaptor that, in turn, plugs into the mouse
port.  The stick itself is pretty "dumb", but does allow a wide range of
tactile adjustments (button functions, joystick play).  The cool part is the
smart adaptor that allows more adjustments than any human being could want.
Here's a sample:

    - digital joystick emulation or proportional
    - button autofire
    - screen size (set vertical and horizontal pixel range)
    - many more

I don't think that it replaces the mouse very well, but for flight sims, it
is great!  I can't imagine going back to playing timing games with an old
digital joystick just to maintain a certain angle of bank.

Of course, I own one of these and these are my opinions.  Your milage may
vary.  I am not associated with Gravis etc. etc. blah blah blah.